[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to invest $20K in America as a LEGAL IMMIGRANT?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: sakurako_by_scope66-d5htkrn.png.jpg (90KB, 847x944px) Image search: [Google]
sakurako_by_scope66-d5htkrn.png.jpg
90KB, 847x944px
What is the best way to invest $20K in America as a LEGAL IMMIGRANT?
Considering that my 3rd world uni degree is worth the same as a banana leaf and that getting a giant loan to attend an American University is out of the table, what is the best way to support myself with what I have and unlock the American Dream?
>>
>the American Dream?
Doesn't exist broseph. Unless you run your own very successful business.

Anyway, just talk to a stock broker. $20k is enough to just throw at somebody if you're not market savvy and let them manage it for you.
And it doesnt really matter if you're an immigrant or not, you don't have to be a citizen to play the market.
You don't even need to be in the country, really.
>>
>>17773264
>just talk to a stock broker
Where do I find a good stock broker?

Also, will he make money for me in a monthly basis or how does it works?
Sorry for silly questions
>>
Usually I'd recommend going to another country. Not sure what the deals are for foreign people but I know Germany etc. have been doing education for under $1000 a year. Most things are better than the insane loans they do in the US. Your situation is more complicated though.
>>
>>17773278
I don't speak a word of german and I have no friends there so starting from scratch would be a bit complicated for me
>>
>>17773294
Nobody cares, all Germans speak English and classes are taught in English. But it was just one example because there's way too many possibilities.
>>
>>17773299
>there's way too many possibilities.
To be honest I don't really plan to stay abroad forever. My endgame is to be able to return to my country in a few years, to invest what I've earned, create new jobs and try to make it less of a shithole
>>
An investment account is really for a long term gain.
I am talking like 15 years minimum, depending upon the stock market.

The only way to make decent money is to day trade.
However, any profits you make, you will need to pay taxes.
Short term capital gains are taxed at something like 40%
Long term capital gains are taxed at something like 18%.

Long term usually means you held your gains for over one year.

As an example, say you buy Ford stock. If you sell it in 3 months for a profit, short term capital gains. If you sell it in 14 months for a profit, long term capital gains.

You need to educate yourself before attempting to trade.
>>
File: capital gains tax.png (34KB, 1130x359px) Image search: [Google]
capital gains tax.png
34KB, 1130x359px
>>17773346
Capital gains tax is levied based on your starting income bracket. Short-term is simply calculated as part of your ordinary income during tax time, with some exceptions, and there are state/local levies to deal with too.
>>
>>17773346
>If you sell it in 3 months for a profit, short term capital gains. If you sell it in 14 months for a profit, long term capital gains.
Am I allowed to a little part of the company's yearly earns for owning stocks?
Or the point of owning stocks is just to sell them later?
>>
>>17773385
>Am I allowed to a little part of the company's yearly earns for owning stocks?

Yes, they're called dividends.
>>
>>17773294
Not knowing how to make new friends
Lol
>>
>>17773390
>Yes, they're called dividends.
Wonderful
So I could buy stocks from a big and stable company, like for example, pepsi, and enjoy the dividends forever?
>>
>>17773346
>you will need to pay taxes
If I don't live in the US do I still need to pay taxes from Dividends?
Sorry for so many questions
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.