[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >studying computer science >hate it >want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

>be me
>studying computer science
>hate it
>want to drop it and study psychology

Computer science would give me a stable financial future, but it gives me tons of anxiety and stress. Psychology is a lot more risky, but it's what I would actually like. Should I drop everything and start over? I would be a year behind from all of my friends. I'm lost, please give some advice.
>>
>>17771721
Actually you've got it backwards. CS funnels you into a job in CS and nothing else. Psychology gives you a lot more options, from academia through counseling to such purely business areas as HR, sales, management, etc.
>>
>>17771834
are you trying to justify why you studied psychology instead of CS or are you just retarded ?
>>
>>17771834
So in that case, the obvious decision would be psychology? Still not quite sure though
>>
>>17771840
Why is he retarded? CS still seems like a better choice financially, but psychology also not a dead end job
>>
>>17771842
because that guy sounds like someone who failed CS, like 90% of /g/ or has no idea what CS is

>CS funnels you into a job in CS and nothing else

there are many many different areas where you can work with a CS degree
>>
>>17771840
The irrefutable logic and reasoned presentation of your argument convinces me.
>>
As someone who works in enterprise systems for my states police and fire service I can say that studying CS is not beneficial in all honesty. Like congrats you have a cert that will be outdated in a couple years

>literally started my career at 18, now 20 and earning over $80k AUD/year in government
>my job is basically powershell and o365
>>
CS gets way more interesting as your major progresses. At the beginning it may just seem like math, programming and data structures, but at the end you will enter really complex structures/algortihms and if you're interested in psychology you could specialize in AI and neuronal networks.
>>
it's time to grow up. anxiety and stress is normal. discomfort is growing pains. people nowadays fixate on these negative emotions when all it's all just feelings, a byproduct of our conscious self. it's not something we can control. it just happens. don't mistake our mammalian fight-or-flight response as anything more than a response. people of previous generations adapted as they aged and learned to live with themselves. now, people are hopping on the internet and being more vocal about it so they don't have to face themselves. you don't have to stew with them. keep a positive direction in your life and you will end up feeling less shitty in your future: either your life will be better or you'll be better at dealing with yourself.

now on to the question:

you will need a job once you're out of school. do you have a career goal? you should be aiming for a position that requires more than a high school diploma since you're in college. will a psych or cs degree push you towards attaining that goal? which degree is it?

make the decision for yourself. it's fine if you're not 100% behind your decision. your pace through life can be faster or slower than others' and that's normal. you just need to find a direction to follow until you uncover a new direction.
>>
>>17771961
You know what, you're fucking right. I'm not a child anymore, I can handle all that anxiety and stress. It's just 3 years, how hard can it be? I'm tired of being a pussy and wining on the internet about my stupid ass problems which are dog shit compared to other problems people have.

Thank you for this.

>inb4 emotional breakdown in 24 hours

>>17771872
>>17771887
And thank you everyone for your insight, every post helped make up my mind.
>>
>>17771834
>a job in CS and nothing else
That's basically ANY job that uses a computer.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.