[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is buying a 'hot' car a bad idea? I currently work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

Is buying a 'hot' car a bad idea?

I currently work a full-time job and have some disposable income. I'm not rich by any means, but I technically could afford a car upgrade if I wanted to.

But the thing is, I have a car paid off. It's a 2012 Ford with less than 50k miles and is running well. It's just plain as can be and slow. Nothing exciting about it.

I'm currently looking at 2010-12 Chevy Camaros (V8 editions) and they're running $18-30K.

I'm just not sure if it's worth investing all that money when I already have a working vehicle.

Pick related is an example of the type of Camaro I'm eyeing.
>>
Its a mixed bag. I owned a 315hp mustang for a while. I had a lot of fun.

But after a few years you get tired of it, and they are not practical for work or travel.

Not sure how sensitive you are but muscle cars have a stiff ride.
>>
Also, dont spend more than 15k.

And check out some mustangs i think they are a better car overall.
>>
Work out if you can easily afford the fuel, put 25% of the cost upfront, buy the Camaro but keep the other car until the Camaro is paid off.

That way if the situation changes, you're secure. Nothing wrong with wanting a nicer car if you can afford it, you get one life, live it.
>>
How much disposable income are we talking? A good rule is 20/10/3:

>20% Cash down payment
>10% of your monthly take home towards the car, max (includes insurance)
>3 year loan term, max

If you can afford it under those restrictions, by all means go for it. But if you're going to do this do it right - a Camaro is far from the best choice for a first driver's car. It's pretty fast in a straight line, so you can floor it on the highway and not be disappointed, but it steers like a minivan. Honestly, I'd get a Mustang over a Camaro given the choice.

Have you considered a Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ? Maybe Honda S2000? Maybe a gently used BMW 3 series?
>>
Buying a car is always a fucking mistake

Do you know how much you are getting god damned molested with those prices?

Live your beater but spend your money somewhere better.

If I see someone with a "good" car, all I can think of is "A fool and his money is easily parted"
Buy an expensive car, nigga you got fucking scammed
>>
>>17771232
Not sensitive at all.

This would be my DD as I'd be trading in my Focus.
>>
A paid off 2012 Ford with only 50K miles? I'd say keep it. At least until you start making more money.
>>
>>17771253
>>17771240
No offense, but I just like the look of the Camaros more than the Mustangs. Mustangs kind of remind me of the high schooler's version of a muscle car.

I have about $500-600 disposable income a month and can afford a 20% down payment.
>>
>>17771263
Yeah, a 2012 Ford Focus.

It works, but it's boring af and pretty slow. Absolutely shitty acceleration as well.
>>
>>17771266
Fair enough, looks are always subjective.
Sounds like you can afford it though, so long as that's what you want to dedicate your fun money to (as opposed to, say, travel, or lots of vidya).

Another thought would be to trade in your current Focus for a Focus ST or maybe a Subaru WRX - get a single daily driver that's also fun to drive? Then again, if you want looks, go for what calls to you, so long as you can afford it.
>>
Drop 15k on a dedicated off-roader and have fun instead of being just another HP monkey.
>>
>>17771227
Don't buy a hot car if you're middleage. People will troll you that you're suffering from a midlife crisis.
>>
Is it something you see yourself enjoying? Some people spend all their money on cosplay others coins some collect stamps. The main issue I see is that it costs more to run (lifetime cost) and you can't really get much more out of it since you are restricted to legal speeds out have to drop hundreds on track days where there will always be other better cars anyway.

If you think you'll enjoy it get it. But be aware of the costs involved with it. As with any hobby or project of passion.
>>
Hope this helps

I bought a nissan 350z gt with 310bhp a few years ago....one year later i resold it

It was the best car i ever had and it was a dream to drive until i was getting pulled over for excessive speeds.

It was a chick magnet and i felt cool as hell but it was so sore on the wallet

If i done it again id have bought the cheapest good fast car i vould instead.

Over the space of thd one year it vost me about 4 thousand gbp.

I replaced the clutch and flywheel with servicing tax and insurance it was just too expensive.

I like the idea of a Honda s2000 or something a few years older...

In conclusion you may only live once but is money security or coolness more important?

Consider a 1 year lease or something? Peace
>>
>>17771227
Terrible idea. Your car is a liability that only drains your funds. Buying a 'hot' car only increases these liabilities. Your insurance, interest payments, depreciation, gas, other fees, etc. are going to prevent you from doing anything useful with your money. The novelty of having a snazzy car goes away after a month and you are just left with something that costs you money and drains your disposable income.

I drive a used Prius and its slow and boring as fuck. But it is extremely reliable, cheap to insure, and gets 50 mpg. But I own my home and have 100k in the bank. That puts me in a much better spot in live than having a cool car
>>
>>17771270
you should've got a focus ST instead
>>
>>17771227
Don't buy it retard, cars are just a means of getting from A to B. As a status symbol they're douche bag tier.
>>
Whatever you decide to do, just know I get around just fine in my 800 dollar S10, and have been for years.
>>
Buy a classic and learn how to service it yourself. Older cars are a lot easier/cheaper to work on than modern cars, and certain classics within your budget attract a lot of attention go-or-no.
>>
>>17771227
you mean hot as in stolen?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.