[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How accurate is this rule for working out height? Add the mother's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3006.jpg (77KB, 600x716px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3006.jpg
77KB, 600x716px
How accurate is this rule for working out height?

Add the mother's height and the father's height in either inches or centimeters.
Add 5 inches (13 centimeters) for boys or subtract 5 inches (13 centimeters) for girls.
Divide by two.

Do you follow this rule? Did you end up taller than your parents?
>>
File: IMG_3001.jpg (135KB, 705x731px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3001.jpg
135KB, 705x731px
The calc is returning a figure shorter than my SO for a girl which is irritating. I always thought kids grew taller than their parents!
>>
>>17768437
One inch off. My brother is three inches taller than me so it seems like it doesn't work.
>>
I ended up three inches taller than this expected but my sisters height was correct.
>>
>>17768437
Mom is 163. Dad is 182. I am a girl, so your formula says I should be 166.
I am 167, but probably should be a bit taller - I used to take a medication that stops growth, and have been "stuck" at 162 since I was 9. Grew up a few cm last year at 22.
>>
>>17768437
Father is 191 cm
Mother is 175 cm
(191 + 175 + 13)/2 = 189.5 cm
that is within 0.5 cm of my actual height (somewhere between 189-190)

But most of my friends don't follow this rule. Most of them are taller than their dad.
>>
Thanks for the responses people!
>>
My mother is 157 cm.
My father is 192 cm.
According to your calculations I should be 168 cm.
I'm 164 cm.
>>
>>17768477
Your parents must look so cute.
>>
>>17768477
>My mother is 157 cm.
>My father is 192 cm.
your mom must be qt af
>>
>>17768457
>Most of them are taller than their dad.
Well, it's not exactly impossible with his formula if their moms are tall.
As long as the difference between the parents is less than 13 cm the kids should be taller than the parents

For example if me and my boyfriend had kids they'd be taller than him - (167+170+13)/2= 175.
>>
>>17768491
true! I totally didn't think when I typed that. If mom is taller than (dad's height - 13 cm) then it says kid is taller than dad. If mom and dad's height is within 13 cm of each other then kid is taller than both parents.
So basically people of similar height (within 13cm) should mate with each other is the implication of the formula.

Just checked, my friend who is taller than his dad has a tall milf mom too.
>>
>>17768507
>basically people of similar height (within 13cm) should mate with each other is the implication of the formula
Wait a sec I think that is how they derived this formula.
They assume that people of within delta cm should mate with each other for taller offsprings, then try to relax delta to higher and higher number until it fits most of the data.
The assumption comes from Cauchy Schwarz inequality.
>>
Also I think I can show that CS inequality implies people of similar height should mate with each other for taller children. Using only a simple argument on two sequences in an inner product space. Funny how simple abstraction reveals a pattern. Maybe people who do pure math are onto something.
>>
>>17768507
Well. Assuming the formula is right and shit.
If the difference between parents is over 13 cm the kid will be shorter than the tallest parent and taller than the shortest parent.
If the difference between parents is under 13 cm, the kid will be taller than both parents if he's a boy, and shorter than both parents if she's a girl.
I think.
>>
>>17768437
Mother 5'8.
Dad 6'5.
I'm 6'5.

According to your math, I should be 6'1.

Your method is close but off. My grandpa was 6'4 born to two 5'5 dirt farmers.
>>
>>17768541
yeah that's basic arithmetic. My point was, how they got that formula in the first place. If I were them I'd get it from Euclidean inner product space, anything Euclidean has been popular for real life application. Kinda remind me of the cheesiest thing my teacher used to say, "nature optimizes". Like no shit, but how exactly?
>>
>>17768437
mom and dad both 5'10"

should be 6'0.5" according to your shiz
am 6'4"

bad rule imo, not that simple, just wait until you grow, then you'll know.
>>
>>17768437
It's not accurate and guys on 4chan are all above 6'3

I'll let you be the judge kek

I think just look at people around you. Don't ask on a place of insecurity.
>>
>>17768437
Totally useless. The genes that determine height can skip a generation or two, so two short people can produce a tall child, or vice versa, with almost as much probability as the kid matching the parents' heights.
>>
File: IMG_2986.jpg (49KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2986.jpg
49KB, 640x640px
>>17768511
>>17768507

How is that the implication? Your reasoning only makes sense for taller male offspring, surely.

Mating within the 13cm height difference produces females who are shorter than their mothers!
>>
Although short females generally don't have as much of a problem as short males so maybe you are right.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.