[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently studying (freshman year) computer science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1468401603731.jpg (310KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1468401603731.jpg
310KB, 1600x1200px
I'm currently studying (freshman year) computer science and I hate it, can't keep up.

I really like drawing or creating videos and shit like that, so I want to drop out of college and apply next year to maybe graphic design.

My question is: is it worth it? Computer science would get me a well paying job while graphic design (or other art majors) is more risky and I wouldn't get paid that much.. Should I go for it? My parents would be really dissapointed
>>
>>17766454

Don't. Suck it up.
It's an opportunity to get to know your classmates, TA, profs. Ask help from them.

Ask them how did they study, etc. If you have problems with study, try Cal Newport.

Keep your artsy stuff as a hobby for now.
>>
If you don't have a passion or a knack for a field of study, then it's going to have difficulty sticking.

You've probably been thinking about it for a long time, so to you it might be clear that you just want to drop it and move on, but if you want to avoid disappointing your parents over it then talk with them about it BEFORE you drop it. You don't need their support, but if you're worried about being a disappointment, you do clearly want it.
>>
Don't do graphic design, it's an easy course for non artsy folks and the market it flooded. Art degrees are fine though.
>>
File: 1421214299267.png (49KB, 240x232px) Image search: [Google]
1421214299267.png
49KB, 240x232px
>>17766467
It's like my parents always believed and told everyone that I'm gonna be some fucking computer wizard and that I'm good at maths, physics and all that shit, but in reality, somewhere in the back of my head I feel like I've been doing everything to make others happy. But dropping everything and risking it following my passion seems scary and I'm afraid I'll become a college dropout failure working at mcdonalds my whole life.

>>17766468
Yeah, I have been thinking about it for a few years, though now I've given it some more thought. I talked to my parents a few times but they just want me to stay where I am and somehow stick it through for 3,5 years.. They think it's just a phase.

I just feel lost, I don't know what to do. And while I'm feeling fucked in the head, I'm almost failing freshman year, which is just embarrassing and brings shame to my parents.. Fuck
>>
>>17766484
Take your time. Faling freshman year is better than working in McDonalds.

Your uni should have some counseling service.

And don't worry, even if you actually follow through and enter an art program, you'll not be happy. I can guarantee that. You'll not get that perfect life you pictured.
>>
>>17766509
If studying what I like (or atleast I think I'd like..) won't make me happy, then what will? Am I just gonna stay miserable forever?

That counseling service sounds good, I think I'll look it up, thanks for that.
>>
You have something that you hate, why would you waste your time doing something that you hate?

If you're not happy, then you're not really succeeding. If someone will be unhappy about what you love, then you have to choose between living your life like someone else's life, or living a life that will make YOU happy.

If you hate your job, you will hate your life.

You don't need too much money, you only need enough for the daily essentials, and for the extras you need.

You will be happy if you choose the path of a life you will love, and if someone else doesn't see fit that life for you, screw them.

You make your life what you want it to be, and if you like drawing and creating, then do that.

be that.

You are that, so go out there and follow that path.
>>
>>17766520

That's my point.
The problem is not whether you're studying CS or art.

The problem is you keep picturing the what ifs. You will not get exactly what you want. Living your passion a lie people tell to sell books.

Get a programming job. Do your artsy stuff as a hobby. You don't need a degree to draw.
>>
Change degree into something you'd be okay about, not hate. Getting into a creative degree is risky and overall not really worth it.
>>
Don't romanticize art degree. It's really not that great.
>>
>>17766560
This, i'm in my fifth year of art school

I thought it would be a dream. It isn't, it's hard.
>>
File: 1422778750533.jpg (43KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1422778750533.jpg
43KB, 409x409px
OP here. Thank you everyone for your advice. I guess I'll keep studying computer science for now and just try to push it through. Maybe I'll like it next semester? Who knows, it's still freshman year, so maybe things will change. My head is fucked right now anyway so I might not be thinking straight. Thanks again guys.
>>
>>17766588

If your problem is study, my motto is if you cannot do the homework you cannot do the exam.

Seriously ask for help from your profs, TA, and classmates. Join a club. Get /fit/. Eat more vegetables. You're young.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.