[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would I be an idiot to look for work at my local grocery store

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

Would I be an idiot to look for work at my local grocery store as a college graduate?

I've been considering this for a few months now. Basically I'm a 26 year old guy with a game development degree from a pretty good university. After graduating I managed to get a job at a computer repair shop that doubles as a retail store. $14.60/hr, no benefits.

The work itself is interesting at times, but there are also aspects of it that I don't love. I don't love that I have to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas every year. I don't love that I've never had a vacation because 'the timing isn't right' despite the fact that coworkers and managers go on vacations all the time. At one point I was 'given' a five day vacation by upper management because I asked for one, but my supervisor made me work three of the five days anyway under threat of termination if I didn't come in. I do love my coworkers and I do love that occasionally (3-4 times a month) I get to work on a really engaging repair.

Recently a position stocking shelves in our local grocery store has opened up. I assume it's going to be around $11/hr because that's the minimum wage here, but the position offers 100% health, dental, and vision coverage, plus reimbursement for fitness classes, gym memberships, and generous discounts for food purchased at the store. It also offers three weeks paid vacation right off the bat and 6% 401k matching after three months of work, and it's a union job.

I worry about taking a pay cut, and I also worry about the stigma of going from something relevant to my degree to literally stocking shelves at a grocery store, because I've always been told these were the kinds of jobs I was trying to avoid by going to college.

What would you suggest?
>>
>>17763829
>I don't love that I have to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas every year. I don't love that I've never had a vacation because 'the timing isn't right' despite the fact that coworkers and managers go on vacations all the time. At one point I was 'given' a five day vacation by upper management because I asked for one, but my supervisor made me work three of the five days anyway under threat of termination if I didn't come in.
Do you honestly think any of that is going to be different at a supermarket? I think you'd have to be stupid to downgrade, but then again, you studied game development as a degree, so you're obviously not the most intelligent person anyway
>>
>>17763848
I would assume any job that tells you you have three weeks of paid time off will make good on that.

Regarding the "you chose the wrong program", I know there's a lot of that going around on this board. Many people on 4chan think engineering and CS is the only worthwhile degree, but how worthwhile is it if you don't want to be an engineer or a software developer? I'd personally rather be a librarian or some kind of community organizer for the town.
>>
>>17763867
I've never really understood this mentality. If you want to be a zookeeper or a whale biologist or a spanish teacher it's not like that engineering degree is actually going to do anything for you.
>>
>>17763867
>I would assume any job that tells you you have three weeks of paid time off will make good on that.
You assume wrong. You ask off for some days around that Thanksgiving or any other major holiday at a grocery store? You'll get a big fat NO, especially if you're new. I've worked at places that promised paid vacation off. Always got my vacation requests denies because it wasn't an appropriate time.
>>
Bumparooney
>>
>game development degree

I stopped right there. Top kek OP
>>
>>17765137
Yeah I addressed that in a previous comment.
>>
>>17763867
Engineering is worthwhile. CS degree are meme.

I only have 3 certs and I make as much as my friend who has a meme degree lmao
Guess who got a job sooner, and thus has more experience under his belt. Yours truly.
>>
>>17763829
hey man, im a grad student and i work at walmart
im almost regretting going to college instead of just working at walmart
>>
>>17765369
Why is that?
>>
>>17765597
because jobs in my field are way harder to come by than i was told they would be

working at walmart is rigorous but simple and enjoyable
>>
>>17763829
>100% health, dental, and vision coverage, plus reimbursement for fitness classes, gym memberships, and generous discounts for food purchased at the store. It also offers three weeks paid vacation right off the bat and 6% 401k matching after three months of work, and it's a union job.

Hold up where is this?

And I don't think it is bad. I have an accounting degree but I prefer part time, low stress work. I currently work in a coffee shop. I might switch to part time accounting work, but I will not take one of those stressful 60 hour a week corporate jobs. Fuck that noise.

I'm not sure if I regret going to college, because the degree is quite useful, but I regret the student debt. I should have lived in a tent and worked part time through school.

>go in woods
>stake tent
>put bedding and belongings in it
>tie a vicious dog outside it

100% nigger proof.
>>
Here's what I see. As "better" as the grocery store job sounds, it does nothing to further your career. You'll work there maybe a few years until the next group of high school graduates come around and replace you. Then what? You're now 29 with the job skills of a high schooler.

Keep looking for a job that is more career-orientated. Take some classes that augment your skills in the IT field so that "gaming" isn't your only draw to employers.
>>
>>17763829
Definitely get out of that hellhole you're in. Those guys are basically raping you.

Go to the grocery store. If it's a chain, they will be good to their word. Now that you actually have a work-life balance, when you're ready, start a search for a job closer to your field. You could also do a part time job doing computer repairs somewhere, or even on your own.

Don't stay where you are. You've got a life to live.
>>
The career can get you paid like a lawyer if you aim for the top, which is easy if you've just graduated since they don't judge you harshly. You can do graduate schemes and climb any big company, as a second choice. You can work for a decent middle class wage at a SME as a third. Getting recruited is easy, you just post online and let recruiters bombard you (yes even for absolutely average people).

A supermarket takes you away from that, and would almost remove the option of going right to the top. But up to you.
>>
>>17765137
same lol
>>
>>17765607
yeah but so what, are you saying you regret learning all those things, improving your mind, and committing to something difficult long term and seeing it through? Even if you aren't directly using your degree it was hardly wasted time.
>>
>>17763829
>'given' a five day vacation by upper management because I asked for one, but my supervisor made me work three of the five days anyway under threat of termination if I didn't come in.
What the fuckety fuck. That alone would be a reason to quit for me.

>I also worry about the stigma of going from something relevant to my degree
The computer repair shop gig isn't that close to your degree either way and the benefits seem to offset the pay. What you should really worry about is the mundanity. I did tons of different jobs in completely different branches and nothing was as mind numbing and depressing as stocking shelves.
>>
>>17765843
I didn't learn that much
I went in after 5 years doing it in the army to cash in and get an actual degree. I ended up TAing, teaching, and wasting my time on worthless gen-ed stuff
>>
>>17765832
Well I graduated about four years ago so that may not work out so well for me, haha
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.