[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am 23, graduated with a BA in political science three months

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: 1474936257885.jpg (69KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
1474936257885.jpg
69KB, 472x472px
I am 23, graduated with a BA in political science three months ago, and have since been living unemployed/part time employed with one of my parents.

I want to get a real job but everything I've tried requires 2-3 years experience in the industry. How do I get a job? I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck forking over half of it every month to student loans/taxes.

I don't care what kind of work it is, so long as it pays well and they'll hire me.

Please help.
>>
Theres always hard labor. But they might pay weell but thats because no one likes hard labor and there is damaging tour body as well
>>
>>17763624
Really depends on where you live. If you live in a city where there's lots of government work and lots of companies that want people who have the wider skills that BAs teach you, then you're in better luck than if you live in the middle of nowhere
>>
>>17763637
I live in a major city, but again, all the jobs I've looked into are either pyramid scheme-type scams or require 2-3 years experience already.
>>
>>17763624
>BA in Poli Sci
>Didn't do any internships

You dun fucked up
>>
>>17763681
Not helpful
>>
>>17763689
Fine, faggot. You're worthless right now, stop acting like you aren't. Go volunteer unpaid somewhere. Try a political campaign.
>>
>>17763689
>>17763708

>>17763689
I think it is helpful. He should be looking to do internships now.

Well, here's a hint. I've never actually done this myself but apparently the Republican party is always looking for young people to work with them (since you know, most young people don't work for them), so prospects might be pretty good with them. Where do you live?
>>
>>17763655
Unless they actually say they want 2-3 years experience, no they don't
>>
looks like someone should have been doing internships instead of playing video games and drinking
>>
>>17763719
I don't need an unpaid internship that might lead to a job two years from now, I need a job now.
>>
>>17763737
Again, you dun fucked up.
>>
>>17763737
You're not going to get a job with your lack of experience, you're not in a position to expect a job unless you're willing to move out of your field
>>
>>17763750
If you're just going to insult and belittle me for making bad choices, please leave.

>>17763759
I am more than willing to do something outside of my degree. I only got a BA because my parents forced me to, now I'm saddled with thousands in debt and a useless scrap of paper.
>>
>>17763765
>I am more than willing to do something outside of my degree. I only got a BA because my parents forced me to, now I'm saddled with thousands in debt and a useless scrap of paper.
Then do it. Take whatever you can get, even if you consider it 'beneath you'. Fast food, retail, cleaning, whatever hires you. You're not in a position to be picky if you NEED a job.
>>
>>17763777
I have a part time wageslave 'job' already. It's not sustainable, I cannot afford to live by myself with the puttance I'm left after deducting taxes, debt, and food.

What I want is a real fucking job with decent fucking pay, this 4 year education I paid tens of thousands for is utterly fucking worthless to me.
>>
>>17763765
Stop your whining. There's nothing you can do to change the past. The reality of the situation is you have a worthless degree with no experience. If you want to get a good job you'll have to slave away at some crap position for the experience.
>>
>>17763765
I'm not insulting you, I'm trying to get you to acknowledge reality. You fucked up. Your degree is worthless. You're not going to get a real job or move out of your momma's house anytime soon.

Your options now are:
1. Live with your parents, do unpaid interships, get a real job in 2-3 years
2. Live with your parents, work at McDonalds, get a slightly nicer job but still shit in 1-2 years and move out, get something like a "real job" after another 2-3 years
>>
>>17763785
Well unfortunately for you, a degree alone isn't enough anymore. Throwing a tantrum about it isn't going to get you any closer to getting a better job. You need to do what you can in order to get the experience you know you need, and if that involves working for no pay, that's what you need to do.
>>
>>17763793
Alright well then I'll take option 3, putting a bullet in my brain tomorrow, in that case.
>>
>>17763804
This is an incredibly pathetic reason to kill yourself.
>>
>>17763804
You really don't sound cut out for the real world

>i'm going to kill myself because i didn't get a glamorous job out of college and i don't want to do 2 years of unpleasant work
>>
>>17763809
I know man. I mean fuck, I took until 25 to move out and it wasn't so bad.
>>
>>17763809
I don't want to work, but I'm willing to do a job if it gives me enough financial independence to enjoy my life, but the only options you're telling me that I have are to leech off my family for several more years, continuing to slave away at a shitty minimum wage service job and drowning in debt, so that maybe I can hope some fucking asshole deigns to consider me for a real job one day.

No, fuck that. I'm not putting myself through that hell for a shot at mediocrity.
>>
One, I don't think your degree is worthless. Most jobs around here will take anyone with any degree. I work in PC repair with an unrelated degree and the starting pay is $14/hr with a 5% raise every year, which is pretty dang good for entry level. Don't give up, you'll find something cool.
>>
>>17763844
Then do it. Do it right now.

>>17763846
No, his degree is not worthless. But he seems to have little-to-no work experience, and nothing related to his field whatsoever. Despite that, he expects to be able to get a job without proving that he's a worthy employee. And to top it all off, he wants it NOW, he's not willing to work hard a little longer to get it.
>>
>>17763856
Will buy a gun tomorrow, don't worry.
>>
>>17763856
Yeah, I can see that. I think most jobs want some retail experience or customer service or something, anything that proves you can talk your way out of a sticky situation and deal with angry people.
>>
>>17763844
You think great jobs just fall on your lap? You need to work for them senpai
>>
>>17763878
Yeah, having SOMETHING is better than nothing, and the more you have, the better your chances of finding a better job. The more diverse your skillset, and the greater your achievements, the more likely you are to be able to land a good job, and quickly. A degree alone is not enough.
>>
Alright everyone, you've been a big help in deciding what I need to do. I've contemplated suicide for a while but you have convinced me it is the answer to my dilemma. See you in hell.
>>
>>17763909
You were never going to make it you entitled bitch.

What place would ever want to hire you?
>>
Join the trades because that's the only jobs you'll find with a BA in political science
>>
>>17763909
Okay Kylo Ren
>>
>>17763998
Kylo Ren is powerful, and uses that power gives him value to the First Order. OP has no value to bring to anyone. Don't taunt OP by comparing him to someone who is employed.
>>
>>17763624

One thing they don't teach in college is how to market yourself. PoliSci is often a stepping stone to law school, but not everyone wants to do that.

Many television news anchors were PoliSci majors.
You can always try working as a lobbyist for a small cause like a local peace council. Or you can yourself run for political office. Or go back and get your masters and teach.

But I think stories like yours are why some degrees are seen as "useless." For example I'm studying media production. It is seen as a more laughable degree than yours. However 6 out of 7 of my friends who studied that field have jobs in their field making more than 40k a year. They went for it. They worked hard. Those who get the degree in art or history or english photography or whatever just don't apply themselves.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.