[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you tell your boss that you're not competent enough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2236.jpg (84KB, 1300x753px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2236.jpg
84KB, 1300x753px
How do you tell your boss that you're not competent enough to do the work? Basically I've been stalling on a project for a week now because I don't really know how to do it, but at some point I'm going to have to show something and I have no idea what I'm going to do. Should I just say that I'm not the right person for this job and quit right now? My boss happens to be the owner of the company and I'm pretty much the only employee doing this kind of work right now.
>>
> I'm pretty much the only employee doing this kind of work right now.
Then just fucking try and do it.
The fact you just stalled for a week instead of trying and saying "Dude I have no idea what I am doing" is already really fucking damning, because now you can't show him WHY you're not the right person to do that work by showing him what you've attempted.
>>
Try really hard for a couple days, fail, then tell him.
>>
>>17760284
>>17760423
But I think that in any case, not being able to do this just proves the fact that I'm incompetent at this job, so there isn't any scenario where I end up keeping my job.
>>
>>17760566

Actually it shows your boss is incompetent since he gave you a task you couldn't perform
>>
>>17760573
Even if that were somehow true, it doesn't matter, because it's his company and he can do whatever he wants. My problem is that I've only ever been able to get jobs through sheer luck, so now I will probably be unemployed indefinitely and I'm going to kill myself in the end.
>>
>>17760276

Why are you incompetent? Did you smoke weed all through college and not pay attention? Are you overstating your experience to get a job with no long term plan?

What obstacles are in your way preventing you from becoming competent?
>>
>>17760657
>Are you overstating your experience to get a job with no long term plan?
Basically yes. I do actually have as much experience as I say I do, but it's all bad experience where I mostly coasted through jobs not really caring that much. I mean, I used to care more when I was younger, but the older I got the more I realized how completely fucked my life is and how nothing really matters anyway.

>What obstacles are in your way preventing you from becoming competent?
I guess it's the fact that I have no idea what I actually want to do with my life. I don't have any talents or interests and I just don't care about anything anymore, including what happens to me. I just turned 30 and I can't even picture myself living to 40.
>>
>>17760566
>>17760621
If it's an important task for the company though, you're just wasting everyone's time by pretending. If you would've just asked for help and been honest right off the bat, this would barely even be a problem
>>
>>17760698

What's the project?

You should have either tried or spent the time looking for another job
>>
>>17760698

You sound like you need medication for depression. This is way too late for you to be labouring over what you want to do with your life.

Bottom line, your privileged middle class suburban childhood as a sheltered white boy has spoiled you and emotionally stunted you into a worthless man child. You grew up in the era of "everyone gets a trophy" and were told you were special even though you did nothing to prove it. You were the kid who picked up a video game and played it on Easy mode because you didn't have the patience or ego to lose and try harder next time. If you weren't an expert immediately after picking it up then you quit.

Learn how to be a man and accept the unpleasant grueling parts of life. Pain and suffering is the only thing that will strengthen you and make you a better more competent person.
>>
>>17760703
Guess I was afraid I'd be fired if I admitted I didn't know how to do something.
>>
>>17760729
Thanks for affirming that suicide is the only solution at this point in my life.
>>
>>17760741

1 eight hundred - two hundred seventy three and 8255

Before you consider something drastic, please call this number.

Whatever it is you were asked to do by your boss, my friend, you can figure it out in time. It was just a week. Whatever it is he asked you to do I promise you is not that important. If you are smart enough to get past an interview and be trusted, then you must be more competent than you are letting on.

If not at all then this isn't your fault really, it is your boss who obviously needs to do a better job screening candidates.
>>
>>17760757
It's not just because of this situation I'm in right now. The other anon made it painfully clear that my life is completely fucked because of the way I was raised and that it's too late now to do anything about it. So what purpose do I have to keep living this shitty miserable life?
>>
>>17760780

I am the other anon. You misunderstood my post and made me feel terribly guilty in the process.

I wasn't trying to convey hopelessness. I was trying to make you realize I see your past and what it made you today.

Your future is in your hands. You have the power to do the right thing, the noble thing, the unpleasant things that will hurt and suck and feel like its going to kill you but in the end you will be just a little bit stronger and smarter.

I was you. I was hired by my best friends step dad at his company to do something I was NOT qualified for. I failed pretty hard, but when I finally admitted it, he gave me something else to do that was able to figure out. He gave me time to learn and then I still did a shitty job of it but it was barely usable when I was done.

Now? I lead a team of 40 software engineers and I never even graduated college. Imagine that? 12 years ago I was smoking weed in my moms basement all day wondering what I was going to do.

There is hope bro. Sorry for coming off harsh, I was trying to bring tough love because I don't feel like you or I got enough of it when we were kids ya know?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.