[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a psychiatrist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 11

File: Psychiatry_0.jpg (27KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Psychiatry_0.jpg
27KB, 900x600px
Real psychiatrist here...ask anything about mental health.
>>
>>17758546
How much time does it take for an accurate diagnosis?
>>
>>17758546
Why are psychs so blue pilled?

I had a lot of issues and spent a few years in therapy. I got good advice but I also got a lot of shitty dangerous advice. Typically being, share your feeling with women. I got burned way too many times and can't believe I was gullible enough to fall for it. I feel like they betrayed me.
>>
>>17758557
Depends, some symptoms are so clear that it takes hours or days. Sometimes it takes weeks or months depending on the patient and the problem.
>>
>>17758571
A good psychiatrist will never (or should never) tell you what to do. So idk...some of my colleagues tend to tell patients whats right in their eyes but generally thats not how a psych should work.
>>
>>17758582
>A good psychiatrist will never (or should never) tell you what to do

Aren't they there to give advice?
>>
>>17758571
>share your feelings with women

Care to elaborate?
>>
>>17758597
Women don't like emotional crybabies. I was told that if I wanted to I should cry in front of them and this will turn them on
>>
>>17758583
They are there to make you think about whats going on inside you. For example the talking to girls about emotions topic.
Telling somebody youre interessted in your feelings is good and yeah, it does make you vulnerable at that moment. But a psychiatrist should tell you that either you tell them as soon as you know something is going on...so you dont get too emotionally attached and burnt hard. The other possibility is that you develp feelings super fast that no matter the point of opening up you will get hurt. At that point they should talk to you about why you get attached so fast and how to deal with that.

Generally a psychiatrist is there to help you think about why certain actions hurt you, make you rethink certaing behaviours you habe and how you can do better. They shouldnt tell you what to do.
>>
>>17758602
You should if you know her well enough, and what you're crying about is something bad enough. Nothing wrong with crying dude.
>>
>>17758607
For something big, like your parents dying it is. But they were encouraging me to do it frequently
>>
>>17758611
OP here
I should point out that complaining about emotions and talking about them often seems to be a bit misunderstood.
Some people just straight up complain to everbody how misserable they are and expect other people to feel sorry. Thats a very bad way to do it.
When you talk about your feelingswith others you explain them. Why you feel a certain way and why you behave in a certain way because of that.
>>
>>17758618
That way you will appear as open and trusting. When you straight up whine about too many problems it often is received as attention seeking instead of open.
>>
My psych just discovered that i have hypothyroidism from the results of a blood test. He didn't do the best job of explaining the effects it has on my mental health/psychology though. Think you can do better?
>>
In what country do you practice?
>>
>>17758546
I've posted about this on /adv/ before but never get any replies.

>have 29 year old brother
>brother has been alcoholic for about 7 years
>when he was 27, he had some kind of psychotic break
>started out when he was drunk, he would brag about being a celebrity
>started crossing over to when he was sober
>said he was a celebrity on youtube, had millions of fans, after a night of being blackout drunk, he'd claim he flew out to big cities and filmed for roles
>when we either shrugged off what he said, or called him out on the lie, he'd get very violent
>violence includes throwing himself on floor and tantruming like a child, beating my grandma, obsessively following me around and continuously bragging until I gave him some kind of approval, fighting his friends when they didn't believe him
>this behavior continued for about 4 months until brother got arrested for assaulting a police officer when drunk and did time for 8 months
>he crashed a week before going to prison, slept for like 3 day periods, peed in bottles in his room, took no care of himself

He was taken to the hospital at these times, and they'd give him anti anxiety meds and sleeping meds. But when someone came to psychiatric evaluate him, he'd act completely normal, deny everything and they'd send him home.

Later, he'd blame this behavior on drugs, yet when we'd take him to the hospital, they drug test him and there was nothing in his system.

This episode occurred when he was 27, as I said. But now it's happening again. My brother was sober, and insisted he had hundreds of facebook messages from agents. I sunk when he was talking to me about this, and stopped responding to the conversation. He followed me around our family home, asking me if I believed him. And I just said yes, to get him off my back.

It's starting again. And I think my brother has schizoaffective disorder. During these episodes, he rarely sleeps. Also, my mom has this. How do we get bro help when he denies it?
>>
>>17758630
If you're struggling with depression theres a very real chance that the hypothyroidism is to blame.
>>
>>17758637
I also recall a time when he was clearly hallucinating. My mom, brother, and I were walking through a department store and my brother was waving at mannequins, smiling in a charming manner at the thin air.

After we got out, he asked my mom and I if we saw all his fans. My mom told him he was tripping. Brother proceeded to tantrum the whole car ride home, saying our family isn't supportive of his career choices, that we were all psychos, that we were all manipulative and just want him to fail.

Like I don't even know what to do. Can he be admitted against his will for having delusions?
>>
>>17758637
Why do you think its schizoaffective disorder and not Bipolar I? You're describing a manic episode: grandiosity, lack of sleep, poor impulse control.
>>
How do I get rid of the cloud over my mind from my teenage years that makes me think that I'll never lose my virginity, be in a relationship or make a girl happy?

How can I move past it and take steps to improve myself instead?
>>
>>17758638
I certainly am. Are there any other effects it has on mental health or is that the primary one?
>>
Everytime I get angry, my family members tell me that I shouldn't and it drives me even more crazy, it's as if I have no good reason to be angry at all and they think my problems and anxieties are meaningless or I don't 'deserve' to be angry and have emotions. How can I deal with this?
>>
>>17758630
The simple answer to this is that The thyroid hormones regulate many things in your body, including metabolism, certain brain functions etc. its a complex topic. A lack of these hormones causes a disturbance in some of these systems. So if you suffer from depression, sometimes even manic or depressed episodes similar to bipolar disorder it can all be due to the lack of thyroid hormones. In that case you dont have a proper primary mental disorder...you just have the mental problems due to a different (in this case lack of thyroid hormones) disorder. Treating the the main cause will also treat the secondary symptoms.
>>
>>17758642
Visual hallucinations tend to suggest organicity or substance use. Has he ever had an MRI? When he was dropped in the hospital did they do the regular seven panel drug test or did you insist on something that would find synthetic hallucinogens?
>>
>>17758643
I only assumed this because my mom is diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. And they act pretty much the same during episodes.

I have talked to my therapist about this, she suggested it was paired with some kind of narcissism because all his delusions are about himself.

My mom acts the same, but generally thinks she is God during her delusions.
>>
>>17758650
I don't know that. He said he was doing meth. I'd assume the drug test they gave could tell if he was.
>>
>>17758645
Irritability, fatigue, memory problems, emotional lability, depression, poor focus. Did he write you a prescription for Levothroid or Synthroid?
>>
>>17758650
Also, when he was admitted to the hospital, he claimed he was only having panic attacks. I wasn't there at the hospital, but I don't think my mom or anyone told the doctors he was having delusions.
>>
>>17758652
I'm the guy you're responding to but not OP. Every time I see a file with schizoaffective disorder cross my desk I reassess the patient. Its a garbage diagnosis nine times out of ten.

All that narcissism makes me think you're probably looking at manic episodes, not schizophrenia with a side of mood disorder.
>>
>>17758546
How do I persuade a borderline not to devalue and discard me?
>>
>>17758648
Yes, manic & depressed episodes definitely. I've always felt there was a physiological reason for the depression because it seems to suddenly come from nowhere without good reason and persist even when my life situation was going well.
Thanks a lot for clearing this up!
>>
>>17758662
Next time he gets violent, call an ambulance or take him to the ER. If they don't know what they're looking at and he isn't honest how are they supposed to treat him?
>>
Got some problems with the reply options...il work throu the questions, first answering the shorter ones... just give me some time.
>>17758633
Germany
>>17758644
You have to work on how you see yourself. This is easier said than done, i know. A good start is to think about the things youre good at, things you do like about yourself. Sure the past shapes you now but you cant be living in it forever. Go work on things you dont like about yourself. Do sports, get new hobbies...if its major issues see a psychiatrist and he will try to talk with you about the negative things that hold you back.

>>17758637
Didnt forget about you...its a longer answer
>>
>>17758654
>>17758662
Yeah people can hallucinate if they're doing a lot of meth. Not from the meth itself, but from a lack of sleep. Your mind is exhausted, but you've got an artificial stimulant keeping your body wide awake, so... the mind wanders, you're dreaming with your eyes open
>>
>>17758657
Yes i just took Synthroid for the first time this morning.
>>
>>17758665
A decade of therapy. Thats literally it. There is nothing you can do.
>>
>>17758669
What orientation do you practice from?
>>
>>17758665
you don't, you cut the fuck out of your life
>>
>>17758668
I will do that, and I will go out of my way to. I don't live in our old family home. He lives there with my grandparents and mom. I visit several times a week.

>>17758664
My mom's diagnosis has flip flopped as her psychiatrists change. Just between Bipolar I and schizoaffective disorder.

On a side note, my brother had ADHD as a child, and was always violent, drew violent things. Like people dying, blood and guts, and etc. Since he was about 4 years old. School psych suggested Bipolar tendencies when he was around 9 years old. My mom never followed up. I think she just wanted to deny that brother had those problems because she couldn't emotionally handle it alone (single mom, dad died)
>>
>>17758683
Has you mother ever had an extended period of psychosis which has not coincided with depression or mania?
>>
>>17758637
So alcohol can lead to organic psychotic disorders. From all the posts you made he is certainly psychotic. I agree with
>>17758643
It sounds like manic episodes, yet sometimes depending on the type of psychosis and delusions also schizophrenic patients dont sleep for days and think theyre celebrities.
Ive seen many patiens who developed Bipolar or schizophrenic disorders after alcohol abuse, most of the time the causes are organic,
Something plausible is also Delirium. Thats a symptom during alcohol or drug withdrawal. It can mimic psychotic episodes, people dont sleep, hallucinate etc.
To the main problem.
Now i practice in Germany and the law here states that if he endangers him or others you can call authorities and they have to take him to a clinic. And if the doctors agree that he needs help he has to stay for some time.
Not sure how the US handles that.
>>
>>17758689
No. But her grandmother did. I'm assuming they thought some type of schizophrenia only because it is in our genes.

If not, multiple psychs have told us my mom has one of the worst cases of Bipolar Disorder they've ever seen. She has episodes every 1 to 3 years, but she flips within a day, and the mania has already begun. Whether it's from not sleeping full night, if she drinks alcohol, big environment changes (moving out of grandparent's home, breaking up with a boyfriend, etc.)
>>
>>17758673
She's had a decade+ of therapy and meds.
Recently she's been diagnosed with a hint of autism.
>>
>>17758677
I started on an acute psychiatric unit, then did addiction, mainly alcohol and drug withdrawal. Currently im in a forensic department for the criminally insane. ;)
>>
>>17758680
Yeah, I know, but it's difficult when you care about the person.
>>
>>17758699
Alcohol is also common self medication for pretty much every kind of severe mental illness you can name.

Sure, schizophrenics sometimes go without sleep for days, but I'm not hearing any discussion of command hallucinations and everything that could be a negative symptom is better explained by a major depression episode. Delirium is off the table because we're talking about a static delusion that persists once the patient is no longer intoxicated.

In the US its going to be difficult for her to get him hospitalized until theres an actual, documented incidence of violence. At that point, he'll probably get a 72 hour psych hold and they'll start trying to convince him to sign himself in for a longer stay. Psych patients have a lot of rights here.
>>
>>17758701
the genetic loci for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder overlap by about 60%

if you have one in the family, you're at risk for the other.
>>
>>17758708
Then the therapy has probably sucked or she isn't motivated to change. If you're throwing in autism spectrum you should probably just cut contact. You're not equipped for this.

>>17758713
Perhaps they use different terminology in Germany, I meant are you psychodynamic? Behavioral? Existential? Jungian? Rogerian? Predominantly a medical model person? How do you conceptualize patients if you're doing therapy?

>>17758719
With this person it will only become more difficult.
>>
>>17758725
>>17758729
Fully agree, sounds like bipolar I, genetic predisposition and well alcohol/drugs didnt help.

What i have to say is that schizzoaffective disorder isnt bullshit, its just rare and generally is treated with antipsychotic medicine and then mood stabilisers
Where i work the problem is that schizophrenia is often just put as a diagnosis without checking if they might actually also have manic episodes so patients will be ok-ish for years on antipsychiotics but get really well once u combine it with lithium etc.
But out of 100 patients thats maybe 1-2.
>>
>>17758755
I don't think its bullshit, but here in the US its generally a bullshit diagnosis. Schizoaffective is rare and serious, I saw a lot of it when I was working in a long-term locked residential context, but its become the new fashionable diagnosis for lazy psychiatrists and general practitioners. I've had patients walk into my office who were diagnosed as schizoaffective because they were having a depressive episode and some half bright thought that somebody saying "everyone hates me and nobody will ever love me" was a psychotic delusion.

Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, and Attention Deficit Hyper Activity Disorder diagnoses all need a second look in my opinion because they're wrong so often. Its alarming here.
>>
>>17758743
>>17758677
Behavioral, thats the one the clinics want the most. Especially in the forensics department where i work. The others are used in Psychosomatic Medicine which is a separate speciality here and compareable to a psychologis with medical knowledge. Im just a Psychiatrist and Psychotherapist in Behaviour therapy
>>
>>17758769
Its the same in forensic contexts here. Us old school analysts are making a comeback, though.
>>
>>17758765
I guess every country's got their fashion diagnosis.
Attention Deficit Hyper Activity Disorder is amongst those here as well. Out of maybe 1000 Patients with drug addiction and that diagnosis i had only 2 that i consider confirmed
>>
>>17758774
The field of psychosomatic medicine is becoming bigger in germany so analysts are making a huge comeback which i think is good. For certain personality disorders its the best choice.

But enought of the therapist discussions here. ;) Lets get back to people with issues. Anybody?
>>
Why have I never heard someone in the mental health field tell people to exercise more? It's helps a lot if you are feeling depressed and more healthy than medication.
>>
>>17758788
I tell my patients all the time to exercise more. We even have a gym in the clinic for sports therapy and patients, especially depressed ones are 'forced' (we sign them up and send them if they want or not) to participate
>>
>>17758725
We've been struggling to get him to even get a hold.

basically
>he goes to the ER because he claims he is having a panic attack
>they drug test him, give him something to relax
>they have him wait for someone to evaluate him, this person determines if he is going to have a hold, the person who evaluates him doesn't even talk to us at all
>brother tells the psych eval he's fine, just got anxious, denies all delusions
>they determine he is not a threat to himself or others
>brother goes home
>within hours he starts on with the delusions.

I'm guessing my only hope is to catch him in a violent episode. The unfortunate thing is that we have done this before after he beat my grandma, and they send police, not an ambulance. Brother gets thrown in jail for the night, has court date a couple weeks later. He skips those, then gets put in jail for warrants. Feels like a never ending cycle.
>>
I have depression (i've ben diagnosed with bipolar as well) and I probably have social anxiety disorder too

I was recently put on wellbutrin again but I dont feel like its cutting it much, I still dont feel motivated to enjoy anything in life except pursuing sex, what other medication do you think I will be put on (seeing a psychiatrist on the 30th)
>>
>>17758546
The state of my mental health fluctuates a lot.

Sometimes I'm fine, even great, sometimes I don't get out of bed for 4 days. Mood swings happen, I have high running anxiety, OCD tendencies and tics like hair pulling, scab picking, teeth grinding and face rubbing.

I also have urges to kill myself although I am 99% sure I would not actually follow through. Not like a calculated decision to do it, but an impulsive urge when I'm having a 'fit'

Should I seek professional help or is this something I could handle on my own? I'm not sure I want to end up on prescription meds, but if it's what I need, I guess I'd do it
>>
>>17758793
That's off but i guess it depens on the country. We generally talk to the family of the patient and if they tell us about the delusions we keep the patient.
Sometimes we keep the patient for 2 days just so we can talk to the family. Every psychiatrist knows that manic patients depending on their current state can act normal.
>>
>Then the therapy has probably sucked or she isn't motivated to change. If you're throwing in autism spectrum you should probably just cut contact. You're not equipped for this.

>With this person it will only become more difficult.

>>17758743

I'm not a therapist, I just want to be her friend.
>>
>>17758792
Nice. There should be more practices like that. I hope this isn't just an American thing to make big pharma richer, but this seems to be the case.
Another question: Do most people at your work focus on subjects such as their client's past and where things stem from in order to help them move forward? Because I don't really have any trauma and it feels like I naturally want to die at times.
>>
File: 1468401603731.jpg (310KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1468401603731.jpg
310KB, 1600x1200px
I am able to walk along my room for hours eating nothing and listening to music until my legs go numb. While I do all of these things, I basically slip into a consecutive daydreaming where I achieved something, or everything. Might be helpful to say that it basically became some sort of altered life to me. Eventually I catch horripilation and obtain a feeling similar to being manic. Almost laughing out loud.
Self-esteem switches rapidly without any external reasons. After "upsurge" period I burn out and suicide urges persist, all my life seem irredeemable. My speech stops being coherent. Feeling shameful for my every word I said, for every action. I think it would be impossible to handle this at some point.
>>
>>17758813
I've been making some calls, and found a US based mental health agencies that determines if someone needs help against their will. I'm going to contact them if my brother goes into another episode.

Right now, the conversation we had about his hundreds of facebook messages, he is still functioning well. He still goes to work every day. He drinks all night, but still works. But this is how it started the last time. I don't know if he is bad enough to receive help. And he is still insisting that nothing is wrong.
>>
>>17758800
Since u seem to suffer more from a loss of motivation ask if oyu can be put on Sertralin (Zoloft). It should increase your motivation and is generally not too bad. Im not a fan of combining multiple antidepressants so its better to try some until you find the one that works for you.
Except that...Sports, Hobbies, a regular schedule. Im not a very social person myself (psychiatrists arent perfect) but try to find some activities with social contacts that work for you. Nobodys should go to parties and in public if they dont want to.
>>
>>17758832
How bad is it to mix zoloft and alcohol? Probably worse than Wellbutrin I imagine

Also: is taking two 150 xl essentially the same as taking one 300 mg xl?
>>
>>17758805
That could all be explained by a depressive episode. Could also be a depressive episode with some other problem causing the ticks, hard to do diagnostics online.
But you should probably see a psychiatrist. Even as a doctor im not a fan of medication. But if it increases the quallity of your life..well why not.

>>17758819
Yeah we focus on that, especially for people with personality disorders or diseases related to a bad past. Some mental illnesses are plain genetic or just 'bad luck', for those its not 'that' important to analyse the past. But we generally do for all patients.

>>17758825
Again diagnosis is hard online but this could all be due to a depressive episode...or you could suffer from dysthymia (which is rather rare) but would explain the mood swings. Yet whenever suicidal thoughts are present its good to visit the doctor.
>>
>>17758850
As a doctor i have to tell you that alcohol is bad with any meds. :P

But as a 4chan user...
Zoloft and Alcohol isnt too bad, its better than Wellbutrin with alcohol. Of course you shouldnt get super drunk. But drinking 1-2 beers with Zoloft wont do anything.
>>
>>17758546
I need some real help. I think I need anti depression meds but they all say to not take it if you have suicidal thoughts. Thing is all I ever think about is suicide. I think about it more than anything else, sex, food what name you. This has been going on for years. I'm insanely depressed of the life I've missed out on.
>>
>>17758871
All antideoression medikations say that, even the ones we give in the clinic for depression. Its just something the pharma industry has to put on the list.
When somebody has suicidal thoughts, taking the medication may sometimes lead to get a steap further and develop the need/urge to do it...

It sounds like youre very suicidal,..in that case its best if you go to a clinic, they will start the medication there while youre in a secured and controlled inviroment, once it works and youre on it the worst is over.
>>
This Thread got bigger than expected.
Im still here if somebody has questions, but it looks like most were answered for now.
>>
Is there such a thing as "calling"?
>>
>>17758869
will zoloft really help me stay motivated?
>>
Hey do the symptoms of ASPD actually go away as you get older? Or do you just learn how to cope better?

I recently found myself developing a strong emotional attachment to someone and I am kind of losing my shit over it.
>>
Is it possible for someone with bipolar 2 to be able to live an even remotely normal life not on medication?

I'm 30, and while my mood swings are less frequent and bad than they used to be, I do notice I'm becoming increasingly paranoid. Not crazy-level paranoid, just slightly over smallish things.

I smoke weed daily, which does a decent job of regulating my moods. I have been on antidepressants multiple times in the past and do not like the drastic changes they've brought.
>>
Do you ever feel overwhelmed by your patient's cases? And if so, which kind of cases are these and how do you handle them?
>>
>>17758909
>>17758647
>>
Best way for me to cope with violent urges? I've tried my very best to change with many psychiatrists, therapists, medications... My old forensic psychiatrist told me this will be with me for life but that I must manage it. That was a year ago and I've felt better since. As a kid I did hurt people, kill animals, theft... but I can't say I have antisocial PD at all as I genuinely wish I was a moral person but I am not. I want to get into a fight and I feel like taking in people's pets from kijiji that need a home just to slaughter... I probably won't but I this shit in my head is creeping in again. I'm 20 F
>>
>>17758916
Thats what its for, some patients feel depressed in the evening and cant sleep due to their worries. They get meds for the night that help.
Zoloft on the other hand is something that makes you 'active'. Its taken in the morning to increase energy and motivation.

>>17758918
ASPD tends to get better with age but never fully regresses. Therapy can help but most patients with ASPD tend to not see anything wrong with their behaviour and therefor never seek help.

>>17758919
Its hard, ive personally never seen somebody stay stable for longer without medication. But that said...antidepressive and antipsychotic medication should only be used in the according episode. The best way manage it all together is to take a mood stabiliser like lithium etc. It will prevent the manic/psychotic or depressive episodes of developing. Without manic/depressive episodes theres no need for the other meds.
>>
>>17758929
Sorry, didnt see that one.
That depends on the issue, not every problem is worth getting angry over and people have a different perception of the importance. But if the issues are really important or the anxieties are just so bad that you cant controll them then a meeting with a psych. that includes the family should take place.
Before that i would consider talking to my family about the issue of beeing downplayed. In that context its important not to mention or get angry about the issues, just adress that you feel ignored.
>>
>>17758942
but zoloft vs wellbutrin I guess is my confusion
>>
>>17758546
Hi if you're still here will you answer mine too?
So three years ago when I was 16 I started becoming introverted and being obsessed with conspiracy theories and such. I thought that the world was controlled by demons and soon we would all be punished by them and things like that. I watched youtube videos all the time about stuff like that. I thought about it all the time. I also thought other people could read my mind so when I was around people I stopped thinking about things they werent supposed to know. I thought a woman was doing voodoo on me because i suddenly felt pain different places in my body (mostly my crotch). I also thought my dad hitted on me sexually even though he didn't so I stopped talking with him for 2 years or such. Sometimes it was so bad that I just had to walk away when we were eating dinner. anyways I stopped having friends and still don't. I didn't feel a connection with people anymore even though i used to be really social. one day I had picture in my head that I couldn't stop thinking about. It was like a tv screen that i couldn't turn off. I had no control of it and it showed me being cut in with a knife.
In this period I did smoke weed a few times (less than 5 times)
What do you think went wrong with me? Was I psychotic or something?
I talked with a psychologist and she said that i didn't have a mental illness but I still want to know what was wrong with me.
Today I'm somewhat normal but very lonely and weird and sad. I have suicide thoughts now and because i was so much alone I'm very bad at being around other people. I eat my lunch alone and have 0 friends. What can I do to become normal again? :(
>>
>>17758925
Sometimes, its the patients that are generally nice but just had bad luck in their lifes, like rape, abuse or sudden schizophrenia due to genetics.
Helping them in the acute phase makes me feel better thou, i cant undo what happened to them but i can help to make it better.
>>17758939
Doesnt sound like ASPD, your right. Theres medication that can control those impulses if they get too hard. Risperidon would be one, it works but its not a med i like to just hand out. The important thing is to know why and when the urges appear, are they caused by anxiety or stress? In that case its best to go to behaviour therapy and 'train' different ways to relief stress until the new ways will be automatic.
If you just get sudden thoughts of doing that and the sudden urge it might be OCD. OCD isnt just the washing hand etc. that we know from TV. It can also show itself by sudden ideas that pop up and have to be done. Risperidon also works for that. (i should add that it MIGHT work. Some meds work for patiens some dont, its always a trial and error thing)

Usually was you get older it should get better.
>>
>>17758546
Should I go to a psychiatrist or psychologist for regular visual hallucinations but no other mental problems? They aren't very troublesome but they can be frightening. I'm rather normal otherwise but I always see floating white faces flying around the halls and hunched over filth covered people in the corners of rooms, also a few other things and I'm wondering if this is a major red flag.
>>
>>17758942
Another anon here. I was diagnosed with ASPD, but I've generally been able to form those attachments from a pretty young age. But I still have a lot of issues with joint attention and the more fluid, knee-jerk kind of empathy. I also get the feelings that these bonds I have with people aren't as deep as others'. And actually, I only realized about a year ago that there was supposed to be a specific feeling of enjoying somebody's company on account of joint attention. I still don't know how to feel that.

What do you know about Pathological Demand Avoidance? I've been wondering if I've been misdiagnosed.
>>
How is your own mental health? Specifically please answer these questions

>What was your childhood like?

>What are you still angry/resentful about?

>What are the things you were able to get over and let go?

>How did you do that?

>How are your adult relationships with your family?

>How are your adult romantic relationships?

>In what areas do you still feel like you could improve?

>Do you find it hard to turn off the "psychiatrist" role. Is it a struggle to just have normal relationships without questioning everyone's motives and trying to figure out why they do everything they do, and making judgments about their behavior?
>>
>>17758980
Sounds like your radio is tuned to the wrong frequency, bruh
>>
>>17758957
I can only tell you that i had more patiens benefit from Zoloft compared to wellbutrin.

Now people will say thats because i prefer Zoloft and that might be the case.(it has nothing to do with the pharma industry thou) In germany pharma companies arent allowed to give doctors any gifts, not even a pen. So our choice in medication is totally free cause we dont benefit from giving one over the other.
So my personal opinion is that Zoloft works better, faster and has less side effects.

>>17758968
What you are discribing sounds like a psychotic episode. It can be induced by weed (some people just have bad luck that they get psychotic by it, yet the majority doesnt)
The symptoms you described sound like it. It doesnt matter if its from weed or by any other cause. Now you got lucky and it was a single episode. What you describe now is know as a post-psychotic depression. Meaning you dont have any of the delusion, hallucinations etc. but from how i see it you still have the negative effects, Those can also be treated with certain types of antipsychotic medication (the ones that activate you like Abilify, eventhou i hate that one).
The benefit of taking activating antipsychotics when youre not in an episode is that you can take a very low dose that will make your mood better, make you less depressed and it also protects you from future episodes. Antidepressant meds are an option too...but they can make you psychotic or manic.
Except that its the usual psychiatrists talk: Sports, a regular daily schedule, good social contacts via hobbies etc.
>>
>>17758546
what is your ''recipe'' for good mental health? is it something we can get if we change our thoughts and stay positive? if we work out?
>>
>>17758968
Smoking weed can send people predisposed to mental illness down the hole. Same thing happens to me when I smoke weed. The longer you go without smoking weed the closer your brain will get to the pre-smoking state it was. At least that's how it went for me. If your shrink says you don't have a mental illness she is probably right, although you definitely has a mental episode. Just try to live your normal life, and for god's sake, stay away from drugs if you don't want that to happen again.
>>
>>17758977

Thanks for your genuine answer; this clears some stuff up for me!
>>
Can liars and cheaters change or it it just part of who they are?
>>
>>17758954
Most of the time it's an extreme anxiety and nervousness rather than actually rage. I feel impotent knowing that for them those feeling are something of no importance and belittled. I tried talking to them but at best they are dismissive about it: 'you should just take a walk or something and it will go away', which doesn't get to the core of the problem.
>>
File: 1477830559834.gif (1MB, 490x327px) Image search: [Google]
1477830559834.gif
1MB, 490x327px
>>17759006
Funny you say that, I have visual static most of the time too.
>>
>>17758980
You should see somebody, also if you take drugs you should stop them. Also get your thyrtoid checked and MRI done...sometimes organic disease and brain disease (like tumors, cysts etc) can compress areas of the brain and you will only have hallucinations and nothing else. Same with the thyroid, hormones are so complex they can cause anything.
>>17758984
Pathological Demand Avoidance is always a hot topic, i know some about it but untill further research is done on it i cant tell you much.
Read up on dysthymia, i cant form a proper diagnosis online but what you mentioned it could also be that. (or i could be totally wrong, online diagnosis isnt ideal)
>>
>>17759012
>>17759016
thanks for the answers. Really makes sense for me what you said about post-psychotic depression.
I had only taken one blow of a joint before it all started so I'm not sure if it was weed induced. the other times i smoked weed i did it more and I already had become ''weird'' but it probably didn't make it better. Haven't smoked weed for 2 years now.
>>
>>17759032
Right, that explains why everything I read about PDA online has been so dissatisfying. To explain why I'm even considering it as a self-diagnosis would be too much life-story for this anyways.

About dysthmia... It's hard to say. I used weed to screen my own feelings for about 2-3 years straight. And before that I had a behavioral addiction with video games, playing them obsessively for the same purpose. But what I do know is that I've read some psychiatric evaluations that said I had depressive tendencies since as early as age 5.

So it's hard to say. I don't know if I have enough of a reference of emotional awareness to really tell if I've had chronic mental illness like that. If I had anything, I'd say I have low self esteem, and a lot of anxiety from my autism symptoms. But emotionally, all I can say is swings of positivity and negativity that last from hours, to weeks, and even months at a time. But bipolar doesn't fit either. In between, there's really not much feelings going on at all.

Is it common for people who have dysthmia to think it's totally normal to be like that, and not even be aware that they might have it?
>>
>>17759026
Some families are like that, as much as psychiatrist say that the issue should be talked about with the family...sometimes its the family that is the issue. You could work around the problems, or find friends and work aorund the family.
>>17759014
If you dont have a mental dissorder due to genetics or drugs, which is just unlucky then its something you can work on.
>>17759014

Try to address issues in a normal matter right away, keep a good regular schedule. You dont have to hit the gym 5 times a week. Just make sure you have a certain routine in your life that is comfortable. Plenty of sleep, hobbies and friends to cope with stress and other unpleasant things in life.
Dont stress too much, dont do too little. It sounds easier than it is.

>>17759002
It was ok, my dad was an alcoholic until he suddenly didnt drink anymore.

Not much, on a stressful day i sometimes think i should have become a guitarist in a metal band as i planned to do (not kidding) but in general i dont resent much, the past happend, no chaning of things.
Im angry about my addiction, i play way too many video games and that screws up my time management. Except that im know to be very calm.

I had some major issues with an ex that i almost married, that messed me up. I got over that thou.

How did i do that, i dont live in the past, i was a bad time i went throu but i wont let the past dictate my future if i can change it.

Im ok with my family, and im getting married soon. They always ask for advice.

I could improve on my selfesteem.

Its hard to turn it off if you meet somebody that acts very pathologic, meaning that you instantly see that they might need help. Except that i dont analyse people all the time, only when things stick out
>>
>>17759022
They can but its hard. If they do it once in their life they might feel guilt and never do it again.. if they do it more often its less likely they will change.

their behaviour is due to the fact that they focus more on the personal benefits rather than the pain they might cause others. And thats something hard to change.
>>
>>17758546
I've got a friend who tells many people he meets/he wants to impress (especially girls, but guys also) that he was a soldier in afghanistan, killed 17 people, that there was an incident where he thought he was killing terrorists but was killing innocents instead and stuff like that.
He also tells he was in the German Navy and was on a maneuver in Hawaii stationed on the MS Bremen (which is also bullshit, the only existing Bremen is some holiday cruise thing).

In reality, he never was in the military nor did he do alternative civilian service (in Germany you can choose) because there is only a 2 month gap between his graduation in school and the beginning of his studies.

He sometimes also does stuff like grabbing people by their necks and telling them he could kill them if he wanted (in a half joking manner), tells everyone extreme boring and self-centered stories and is not able to recognize that he pisses everybody off and does not stop talking.
Also he hid unpaid bills from his roommates which nearly resulted in them losing their apartment.

I play in a band with him because he told me he could sing (of course he could not, as all of his stories are bullshit)
In the first time he just said he has to adjust to the band, but after 2 years the adjusting should be done. He also tells us how much he is practicing while in reality I am really sure he does nothing at all.

Ofcourse we want to throw him out of the band, but everywhere he goes he tells everyone that the band is is life and stuff like that. I do really fear that he kills himself or does something related if we kick him out.

What is up with him and wat do?
>>
>>17759074
Guten Abend erstmal.
Im gonna keep it in englisch thou for others to read the answer too. So he has a certain type of personality dissorder. I'd need more information to make a proper diagnosis but he probably has a Borderline Personalidy Disorder or some form of a mixed disorder with narcisism.

In short, he needs attention, most of the time when he fucks something up he probably sees the fault in somebody else, He cant admit mistakes and he's trying to impress everybody or get everybodies pity.
Hard to tell how he's gonna react. He will ge angry, thats for sure. He will feel bad , almost insulted. Usually people like that dont commit suicide, theyre not depressed. Theyäre know to cut themself for the attention but that is never with a suicidal intention.
You could talk to him about it normally and try to do the cut somewhat clean. But he will get angry. Thats the doctors opinion.
As an Anon who plays in a Band...if you want to avoid drama tell him its not his fault, he's not the sound you need :P
>>
Are there any merits at all to psychotherapy?

Psych undergrad and unsure whether to get a post-grad or go straight to med school.
>>
>>17759099
as i said im form germany and not 100% sure how your medical system works. In germany im a psychiatrist and psychotherapist just because they added that to the specialisation. Meaning im allowed to do everything a psychologist does plus give the meds and other doctors work.
A pschologist here can only do the therapy.
Its preference...i like the acute unit...its nice to see patients get better fast with medication. (patients on the acute unit are too sick to do psychotherapy most of the time)
Yet I also enjoy the out-patients i see that i do therapy with.
Both psychologists and psychiatrists are needed in every country. You should aks yourself if you want to go throu med school and later prescribe meds (or become some other doctor) or if you really only want to to psychotherapy, cause if so then i'd rather skip med school.
>>
>>17759092
Yeah, it's his style of singing that really does not fit where we want to go with the band :^)
And what you described sounded exactly like him.
Danke für die Antwort!
>>
>>17758546
I may have autism, or at least I think so since a professor, my priest and my parents have raised questions whether I am, despite being at least intelligent enough to be completing college.

Is autism malleable? Can I learn to change my autistic behaviors, and actually empathize with people instead of just thinking abstractly about them?

Also, how shitty was Paxil as an antidepressant? I took it as a teenager because my parents were told by the pediatrician that it would calm my anxiety, but it may have made things worse when I did take it. I know there was a huge lawsuit against the company that made it, but could there be any lasting affects from Paxil that may have made me more nervous than I would naturally be?
>>
Can a woman with BPD ever ever actually feel love or get better?

Or will they just act crazy forever?
>>
>>17758546
What is your take on transgenderism? Is it difficult to give the transgender diagnosis?
>>
>>17759119
Autism is a very rare condition, the problem is that some of the symptoms are also part of other disorders. Generally its not easy but it is possible via psychotherapy. Psychotherapy is generally just talking about things but theres certain guidlines or recipes if you want that the psychotherapist will use. Talking about certain things will make you think about them differently. So yes it's possible, just given the fact that u think about it because it seems to bother you is a good sign.

Paxil is an OK med, just not in children, thats why here its not allowed for children. In fact it was proven that it doesnt help anything in kids except give some side effects. Antidepressants to calm anxiety is used sometimes...but not ideal. Theyre for depression, so why give them for something else.
Generally Paxil is probably not the reason youre more nervous, the lack of a proper medication or therapy is the cause most likely. If something gets treated with the wrong medication or not at all (and in case of the wrong medication it is like not treating it) problems will get worse over time.
Seek a psychotherapist and establish a goal, like learning how to empathize and slowly it will work. There are no meds that can do that.
>>
>>17759147
From a medical point of view it seems totally logical to me that transgenderism migth occur. With the brain everything is possible. The diagnosis is difficult cause its a rather new thing in medicine, not enought studies or guidlines for a proper diagnosis exist.

>>17759140
They can feel love, they just cant use it propperly. But yes, our clinic has a psychotherapy unit and about 70-80% of the patiens there have BPD. Its hard work but its possible.
>>
>>17759148
Well, alright then. I remember becoming very depressed and having suicidal thoughts start coming into my head after I stopped taking paxil without telling anyone when I turned 18. I'm glad it probably doesnt have any residual effect. I'll avoid medication because of that, since my problems aren't too bad, and I probably just need to try to empathize and care about other people. Fortunately the therapist is seeing me again on Monday.

Thanks, doc
>>
If i forgot to answer some question remind me. Hard to keep track.
>>
>>17759165
>>17759054
I'm in no hurry though
>>
>>17758546
what you said about the sport part in your clinic reminds me alot of what i had to do when i was a patient. you dont happen to be well in the north west of germany? to the south of hamburg?^^ (wont ask any further dont worry)
>>
>>17758546
can you tell me where to find pictures that you guys show your patients? like black spots on paper and making your patients tell you what they see
>>
OP, will methylphenidate fix my general lazyness/lack of motivation to start doing productive things like study/meet new people?

im taking venlafaxine 75mg too, but i dont see a big improvement in my mood :(
>>
I just broke up with the man that I love, I've broken his heart and crushed my own soul in the process

When will the hurt go away? What can I do to make it go away?
>>
>>17759327
not OP, but do they still do this?
>>
>>17759385
Why did you break up with him?
>>
>>17759385
Killing yourself seems to be a popular option?
>>
>>17758546
I subconsciously pull at my facial hair until I tear out individual hairs once it reaches a certain length. What does this say about me?
>>
>>17759393
i think some of them do
>>
>>17759327
It's called a rohrschach test and you can do it easily yourself by folding a sheet of paper in half then squashing ink or paint between the folded halves.
>>17759393
Neither OP nor an expert but the point of the Rohrschach test afaik is to let people's subconscious respond by letting them interprete abstract pictures. I would argue that, unless the person is outright trying to fool you, the test is a good indicator on a person's subconscious triggers that affect their psyche and thus help establish where fixations lie that are causing issues.
>>
im a male with BPD. how fucked am I?
>>
I don't want to copy and paste everything here so I'll just link it to you OP.

>>17759387

Can you tell me your best approximation about what the absolute fuck happened to me? Some anon said maybe psychosis, but I don't know enough on the subject.
>>
I have been taking adderall for a few years now, and lately I find that I feel really horny during the adderall crash. I jack off usually 5-6 nights out of the week most of the time with porn. When ever I just try to sleep I just lie there with sexually charged anxiety. Is this bad? I feel like I should stop this but I don't know how to calm the anxiety the adderall crash gives me.

What should I do?
>>
OP is back...
Gonna start answering some stuff in 5 min.
>>
File: life-skeleton418258266.jpg (69KB, 712x750px) Image search: [Google]
life-skeleton418258266.jpg
69KB, 712x750px
>>17759725
I have an appointment with an IRL psychiatrist, but before that happens can I get some tips on how to I tell them that I want to die without getting my patient confidentiality shitcanned for being a suicide case? I know that if you present a credible threat of suicide/homicide they can institutionalize you.

I'm not clinically depressed, because I *can* still enjoy things if I don't think about them, but if I actually take a moment all the fun rushes out of it and I'm bludgeoned by the urge to just go to sleep forever.
What do?
>>
>>17759219
No im from BW
>>17759213
Yeah its normal, some people dont realize that they feel less until they talk to others about it,

>>17759327
Those are barely used anymore since they are very unspecific. You can find them on Amazon. Called rorschach blotts.

>>17759377
Ritalin will make you more focused but if youre not in the mood to do something you might end up doing very focused Facebook stalking. It will just keep you going longer but it wont make you study if you dont feel like it.
75mg is a low dose...150 or 225 should be the proper working doses.
>>17759385
Do the things you couldnt do with him cause he didnt like them, that helps the most. Or try new things he wouldnt want to do anyway.

>>17759468
People have some ticks they develope to fight boredom or deal with stress. Doesnt say much about you Anon, its only a bad habit.

>>17759515
Very rare case, youre not too fucked since you accepted the fact you have it. Psychotherapy might help if youre willing to change. Suicide rate amongst male BPD Patients is higher thou...Men tend to be more extreme with the attempts.

>>17759547
You had a minor psychotic episode, some people are just unlucky that weed causes that to them. Sometimes amnesia is a symptom. It will be ok soon enough. Take Vitamin B1 supplements, and keep away from weed.

>>17759577
Adderall is sort of an Amphetamin, so its comparable to X or Crystal. Sexual arrousal is a side effect. Stop taking it or lower the dose if it gets too bad.
>>
>>17759772
Sounds like you are not actually suicidal like most people think. Theres different stages of that. Some just say 'i want to sleep forever' which is a way of saying that theres a lot of stress/problems and you want to sleep so the thoughts about them dont bother you anymore.

Its very common to have that in a minor depressive episode, meaning you dont have a full blown depression but if you do nothing you're on your way there.
The best way to tell that to you doc is to just say the things bothering you and that you thought about how nice it was to just sleep for a long time for them to be gone. Just be honest to him, dont dramatize it but dont downplay it either.
>>
A person is a pathological liar and changes personality and opinions depending on social settings. They have episodes of rage, fear and general confusion. Otherwise they're normal, kind and intelligent, but have problems reflecting on their behavior. What could be wrong with them?
>>
>>17759826
Personality disorder. Too little details to tell you which kind. They want to be accepted and popular thats why their opinion varies. They care for their own benefit more than for others but dont see it that way. Reflecting is hard when you think everything is always somebody elses fault.
Therapy might help, but only if they want to and admit that theres things that need fixing.
>>
>>17759840
Let's say the lying and changes in personality isn't intended or controlled, and that they admit to having issues but can't describe what they are. Is it still a personality disorder?
>>
File: 2015-11-18-Eat_Shit_And_Die_249.jpg (233KB, 650x772px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-18-Eat_Shit_And_Die_249.jpg
233KB, 650x772px
Are suicidal thoughts as rare as they would have you believe or is it a case of the emperors new clothes?
>>
>>17759966
Most of the time its not intentional otherwise it wouldnt be a disorder.
Hmm if they have a very hard time explaining any feelings combined with the general confusion you mentioned before it could go into something called a predromal phase. But by the little information thats me guessing here. Predromal means that their behaviour is bizzar and they might be developing a mental disorder but its not fully there yet.
But generally lying and changing in social situations has something with personality disorders, unless, as i said its some odd form of predromal symptomatic.
>>
>>17760016
After acute psychotic episodes, suicidal thoughts are the most common reason to come to a clinic. On a normal night i have anywhere from new 3-7 suicidal patients. And idk how many already in the clinic (we got around 800 beds) That doesnt mean all of those are depressed, theres many reasons for people to be suicidal.
But its rather common.
>>
>>17758546
My mother was a cheating whore and I disowned her for it. Do you think I'll have problems because of that?
>>
>>17760059
Not neccesarily, depends on how you deal with it. Ive learned that people do things for a reason, so she either had issues with your dad that lead to the whole thing or she has other problems from the past.
Either way if you manage to accept the choice you made and move on with your life you wont have issues.
>>
My psychiatrist told me I have depression and anxiety in the first 10minutes into my first consult. Which lasted 15minutes. I go there monthly and all my consults take about 5 minutes. She outright refused to listen to me once and said she was asking how I was with the meds, instead of dealing with how I feel. Is this how it's supposed to work?
I also see a psychologist and she's completely against psychiatrists, saying they're only good for numbing symptoms with medicine, instead of treating the cause.
>>
Again, is it the same thing to take two wellbutrin 150 xls as one 300 xl?

And how would drinking affect the wellbutrin long term/short term?

Thank you
>>
Over the past five years I have experienced:

Consistent bouts of self-hatred
Recurrent inability to find joy or value in anything
Difficulty relating to others in general
Occasional serious ideations of suicide
Occasional self-harm

Should I go to therapy? If I do, what do I say?
>>
>>17760071
If shes only a psychiatrist yes, shes there to give you meds (pref. only 1 antidepressant that works for you). If she doesnt do psychotherapy theres no point to talk to her, she doesnt know what to do with it.

Meds make up 30-40% in a depression, they can help you feel less bad, give u some energy and basically treat the problems in your brain that are caused by the depression. the other 20-30% is pychotherapy, so your psychologist isnt totally wrong. (especially in the US i have the feeling that doctors tend to throw around with meds for really anything). The real issue with depression is that most of the times it came from some psychological issue that lead to the medical issue. the meds are used to control the medical aspect. The pills wont make the inital psychological problem disapear thou.
The rest of the % is what you make out of the two. Meds and therapy can show you the way...but they cant walk it for you.
>>
>>17760041
but among "normal" people?
>>
>>17760078
yeah 2 x 150 is the same as one 300.
In combination with alcohol the side effects might becom more severe.
>>
>>17760113
Among 'normal' people its rather rare.
>>
>>17760084
Yes you should, it sounds like you have BPD. Just say that you dont feel good for a while now, give examples of situations when you harm yourself and they will start asking questions.
In general a good psychiatrist will start to ask you specific things to get a diagnosis as fast as possible, so theres not much you have to think about, they will ask.
>>
>>17760109
So by seeing both, I'm on the right track?
I'm taking sertraline chlorhydrate 200mg a day for the depression and bromazepam, sulpiride for anxiety.
>>
I sometime start randomly crying throughout the day because I am so lonely, and I think about killing myself regularly, but not seriously. But the problem is, affection and companionship are so far removed from my life that I just cannot even imagine what it would be like for someone to want to spend time with me.

I'm 28 and I honestly just want to end it sometimes. Why do I feel like it's such a huge, impossible task to find someone who wants to spend time with me? I feel so discouraged because it seems like everyone else on the planet does it with seeminly no effort.

I want to go to therapy, but I'm so poor I essentially have no disposable income.
>>
>>17760144
Yeah seeing both is good.

Sertraline i like, good antidepressant. If it works for you keep it.
bromazepam....well. Its a benzodiazepine, most of the patients from the drug addiction unit i worked on love it. its higly addicting (comparable to heroin) and you can develop some dangerous withdrawal from it if you stop taking it. In Germany we dont prescribe it for anxiety just cause its so addictive.
I would never give it to any outpatient. I only use it when i have to do withdrawal from it.
Promethazine or Melperone would be way safer options to use during anxiety attacks.
>>
>>17760148
What you are descibing sounds like a minor depressiv episode caused by loneliness. Well if you cant afford therapy try the stuff a therapist would suggest. Go find a hobby where you meet other people, or help at a non profit organisation of your choice just to socialize. Sometimes its hard finding the right people to hang out with. Its a matter of luck.
Except that maybe look if theres a reason why people dont hang out with you and change that.
>>
Last post by OP. Im off to sleep. Since the thread got more attention than i thought i might start another one later this week.
Good night.
>>
>>17760158
That addictive, huh? I haven't had any problems with that. In fact I went a whole week cold turkey cause my meds were over and I lost my prescription. All I got was vertigo from the lack of sertraline.
Oh yeah and irritability, but I didn't crave for anything.
I didn't even have anxiety attacks, she just believes my depression comes from my anxiety.
>>
Hello OP, around three weeks ago I consumed a gummy for the first time, problem is that it contained around 100mg of THC. Ever since then I've felt very out of place with my surroundings, often stuck in my mind at times, unable to concentrate, and a bit depressed, though I can function properly around others.

Is there anything wrong with me or am I just over thinking it?
>>
My bf was diagnosed as having a schizo affective disorder. Since you say that 9 time out of 10 it is bullshit, what can I do by myself to check whether it is bullshit or not, because I believe it's bullshit for some reason. He doesn't seem to experience delusions, but at the same time he usually keeps his thoughts to himself and thinks everybody is against him. So I really don't know.
>>
What is the cause of derealization. I feel like I'm in a dream or rather looking at my body experiencing life while I watch (not engaging really) even if I do. Sometimes I fall out of it and it feels odd to realize where I am and what I am doing. How do I treat this and what could be the cause of this? I always thought it was anxiety, is it?
>>
Do you dislike your patients?
>>
>>17760209
Not OP, but THC is fat-soluble, which means it can linger in your body for up to 30 days after every use. Go exercise a bit and drink lots of water to speed up its metabolism, you'll feel right as rain before too long.
>>
>>17758546
My mother believes she's a victim of gangstalking. Nothing I, my brothers, or my grandmother say can make her realize that she's suffering from a mental condition like schizophrenia. How can I help her? What can I do? The family has ended up screaming at eachother over this and I want it to stop.
>>
What can a person with ADD do to improve their attention span? I am a former drug addict so cannot take amphetamines and the non-stimulant drugs have more side effects than benefits.
>>
>>17760828
basically cold turkey. ive got add. and the only way your attention span to get somewhat normal is use the gift you have been given. its called hyper focus. if you have a subject you are intrested in you will hyper focus on that. if you need help to study: try a radio or tv for background noise. you will have add for the rest of your life and there is no cure currently
>>
File: 1477855460671.jpg (177KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1477855460671.jpg
177KB, 500x376px
>>17758546
>Be me
>All throughout my life only one major problem
>Nothing looks or feels real
>When I try to remember things from the past its like I remembering scenes from someone else's life with someone else living them
>One time I even took to self harm to make things feel real
>Nothing
I can still act and blend into civilized life and do my work, but there is this sinking feeling that there is some kind of thing I should be doing something like writing or adventure.
But then i wake up and the real world looks at me but I just don't see it the way it says I should.
>>
File: 1456373833213.png (632KB, 959x958px) Image search: [Google]
1456373833213.png
632KB, 959x958px
>>17758546

Hello

What would an adult do who is 30 that has ADHD but doesn't have the finances to afford medication? I do have a diagnosis by a medical professional.
>>
File: 1453440255120.png (447KB, 750x810px) Image search: [Google]
1453440255120.png
447KB, 750x810px
I've recently found out that, without fail, every single person on my mothers side, including me and all my siblings, suffer from sociopathy.

How do I break the cycle?
>>
Why is Complex PTSD not in the DSM?
>>
>>17758546
does being a psychiatrist give a good pay in Germany?
>>
>>17761228
kek
>>
I wanna commit suicide, but I dont want the girl that blew me off (she thinks were friends) 2 weeks ago to feel guilty. I dont really wanna talk to her, but just in case, how long do I have to wait for her to not think I did it due to our situation?
The suicide has nothing to do with her, ofc
>>
>>17758546
What do you think is overall better: shooting dice with two die or shooting dice with three die
>>
Is it normal to dream about telling my mom off?

She cheated on my dad in july and moved out without telling anyone to be with the guy in september. She was never a good mom and was generally shitty, equally to both my siblings, dad, and I. Last year she called the cops on me for not wanting to play my final year of high school football. After I just stopped caring about her but recently I've had dreams where I cuss her out for everything she's done. Why?
>>
I hope that I'm not too late to ask my question, I hope you don't mind me fixing a few things I had from a different post.

I have social anxiety and I want to fix it. I feel like I have nothing valuable to say is that I do pay attention to other people conversations, and that's part of the reason I ask for help. I love watching people talk and have fun while talk, and I notice that a lot of them are far more skilled at it then me. (Especially because I keep dropping out.) They all seem to have fun and are able to talk well together, and I would like to be part of societies fun. Part of what I feel is that because they are able to talk better and keep the conversation going is that there is no need for me to say a word. It kind of feels frustrating dropping out from peoples lives. The reason why I still have anxiety is because I haven't made the switch from observer to participant. It's a very hard switch for someone with social anxiety because it's easy to stick with a role.

What should I do to get out of this observer role?
>>
My sister has depression after hanging out with a crowd of people who were diagnosed with depression and I feel like she faked her way into it. She has no reason to be depressed and the amount of visits to psychiatric hospitals after her excessive cutting, laziness, and disobedience is financially and emotionally taxing on my family. I feel like they don't even help because she does the same shit again and they're just trying to take money from us. How do I know if she has actual depression and not just because some expert said so?
>>
Whenever I'm stressed or sad, if I try to eat, I just cry into my plate. If something is really bothering me, I won't eat for literally days. I eat a lot otherwise, but food just makes me feel worse whenever I'm sad. Any food. What gives? Is this normal?
>>
>>17758546
What is this condition anon? Having this since the beginning of the year, rapidly worsening day by day. Plz help:

- feeling absolutely empty
- not a single bit of motivation when I'm alone; just sometimes something pops up like 'Ohh, I really have to get into programming/playing the guitar/learning language xy/some other bs again', then doing this for like 1-2 days, only to never touch it again
- can barely get up or out of bed
- can sleep easily and long, can easily stay up two days in a row (I don't do so very often, but I could), but at the same time I feel kinda exhausted all the time
- manage to go to Uni max. 1 time per week, becuase
- unable to fullfill completely basic liabilities (even just responding to important textmessages is almost unbearable) - broke up with gf because this (unreliability and inability) isn't something one can cope with for more than a few months
- always been more of a lazy guy, but always fullfilled binding liabilities, even if I did shit at the absolute latest possible time (like studying only the last night before a test) - now I'm increasingly unable to do even this. E.g.: I have an important exam tomorrow and I just can't get myself to pick my shit up and just study atleast this last day
- libido is completely fucked - just a year ago I'd fuck 3 times a day everyday easily, now 3 times per week would be a hard task to do
- always been a guy that enjoyed his time alone just as much as time with friends, to think about stuff and just relax; now the only reason I'm able to get atleast some absolute basic stuff (buying food) done is because my best friend fortunately moved in the same flat and manages to motivate me once in a while

What is this? Friends and now-ex-gf repeatedly told me to go see a doc/psychiatrist, but idk if it is that bad, if its just how I am and primarily because my total lack of drive is preventing me from doing so.
>>
>>17761764
Also recently I sometimes I have moments like this:
>>17760463
Where I'm just like 'wew, this is actually my life and actually me experiencing this'. Happens randomly, e.g. standing in the kitchen and suddely getting this 'awakening feeling'.
>>
>>17761771
>Where I'm just like 'wew, this is actually my life and actually me experiencing this'. Happens randomly, e.g. standing in the kitchen and suddely getting this 'awakening feeling'.
existential dread?life doesn't seem to make sense? (im not op btw but I have that too sometimes where i think how ''weird'' it is that im alive and here)
>>
File: seasonality and mental illness.png (144KB, 568x632px) Image search: [Google]
seasonality and mental illness.png
144KB, 568x632px
>>17761764
Textbook depression. It can still be depression the mood state, by the by, even when you don't report depression the emotion.

Provided the symptoms aren't getting worse, you can seek help if you desire. Considering our current season, I could recommend a dawn simulator which are not particularly expensive through Amazon and could benefit you, if the season is impacting your mood.

And remember

See a PSYCHOLOGIST or a THERAPIST if you do not want pills

See a PSYCHIATRIST or NURSE PRACTITIONER if you do want pills.
>>
>>17760463
Derealization/depersonalization is a quirk of self-awareness. That's why mirrors serve as a trigger in many susceptible individuals.
>>
>>17758546
Wanted to make a seperate thread but...
I thing I have aspergers, not like
>tfw no gf
but actual aspergers

>I never make eye contact
>I don't get social cues
>I have a hard time reading between the lines, people get angry at me for spoiling the fun because they were playing a joke on somebody or scheming
>Sometimes I just don't respond to people
>Recently I have been ignoring people calling me
>Aside from school I don't socialize with people, not counting talking to internet friends
>My lack of friends doesn't make me sad
>people ask me why I'm sad because of my face expression
>I never studied math, but got straight A's, sometimes briefly studied psychics but only when I wasn't paying attention in class (which is pretty much always), never studied English (second language), but went to competitions, and got far in most of them, reaching second or even final stages
>I overheard classmates talking once, they claimed that they study atleast an hour daily, sometimes 5 if there was a test coming. I was shocked because I rarely even studied, and my sessions barely reached single hours even if there were multiple test coming
>People think that I am angry because of the way I speak
>I go from knowing nothing about a subject and totally obsessing over it, having it on my mind 24/7 in a day
>I constantly try to crack my knuckles, snap my fingers, bite my nails, draw the same thing multiple times on everything I can, and other shit, I recorded myself talking about a subject and it freaked me out. I drum out songs with my palms and by tapping my feet. I go in circles when thinking about something. And I cross and recross my legs constantly
>My arms are covered in small scars from tearing up mosquito bites and tearing up the same wound multiple times.
>I fucking hate having my hands sticky or being moist, I can shower multiple times a day
>I sleep in the class and in the bus with no shame

cont
>>
>>17761967
>I have tinnitus, but no hearing damage, neck or jaw abnormalities, and I have low blood pressure, I can hear the ocean in my left ear sometimes
>I am really sensetive to sound, I really hated lound noises, at the same time, my sense of smell is barely existant, sweat smells fine to me, I can't tell good food from spoiled and I hate the smells of perfumes and flowers, I also walk barefoot almost all the time. Even on wet grass
>I can't sprint fast or jump high, or punch hard despite having more than enough strenght to do these.
I got in trouble with teachers for drawing in class, twirling scissors around, snapping and cracking my fingers when I couldn't fucking help it, my mother never took me to a doc because of her stupid philosophy which I don't even fully understand. My life was made harded by all of these above which possibly weren't even under my control
>>
>>17761940
Could be. Let me put it this way, without getting too much into politics, philosophy, etc:
I think I get most things (lets just call it 'life') in a rational sense. Like, I perfectly understand why people behave the way they do, why they have the feelings they feel and why the world is how it is (no, not everything - just putting it very general for simplification) it's just I feel increasingly unrelated to it, or lets say: I get it, but I don't really understand it. E.g. I can completely comprehend how people get to some decisions and feeling, but I even though I can comprehend it, it's like there's no real sense in it. I could perfectly comprehend why my now-ex-gf would get emotional and cry when I let her down, but there was just no meta-reason or sense in it - if that makes any sense itself. Idk, hard to decribe this in English.

>>17761952
That's the thing that scares me a bit. Winter is always bad for my mood, while summer lifts it incredibly; so going into winter I'm usually so far up that I never reach rock-bottom. Now my mood was fucked up all summer - what hell will winter be?

>Provided the symptoms aren't getting worse
I feel absolutely incapable of reading a single page for tomorrows exam, not even talking about writing the thing itself. Even imagining organizing an appointment with a doc and having to go there makes something in my head scream like a butchered pig. So can it actually get worse?

>See a PSYCHIATRIST or NURSE PRACTITIONER if you do want pills.
Fuck no, no pills for moi.
>>
>>17761983
Speaking as a child who went through psychotherapy, you got out lucky. There is nothing the doctor could have given you that would've helped. You likely would've been prescribed risperidone which would have made you grow man tits and lactate (no, really http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/822072 https://www.drugwatch.com/risperdal/side-effects/ )

Risperidone is the first line treatment for Asperger's in youth.
>>
>>17761997
I am not really talking about treatment, just having some paper so the asshole fucking teachers would't attack me for no reason and I could keep my hand busy, it went like this
>draw shit on a piece of paper while listening to the teacher
>teacher says it annoys him and makes me stop
>get lost mad in though and have no idea what the lesson was about
Just understanding from people would be enough, I live in Poland, I don't know what treatmen they would give me, but maybe it is good I didn't get it because of the reasons you have mentioned and because I wouldn't like to be a normalfag
>>
>>17762023
>just the paper

That's the thing. You don't get out of the practice that easily. They're not content to just let you leave now that they know you're fucked in the head. They want to treat you. And they'll seduce your parents into thinking the right way with them.

Your mother was wise. Eastern European countries were infamous for political abuse of psychiatry during the Eastern Bloc era. The memories from that time likely influenced her actions.
>>
>>17758546
Tell me about emotionally unavailable women and why they try to suck you back in
>>
>>17758546
Are you still on this thread?
>>
Is adhd real? Is it curable? Will I make it worse with 60mg of ritalin a day?
>>
how can I cure a lingering feeling of dissatisfaction with life? also if I were to see someone how can I bring up the issue of having a personality disorder?
>>
I feel very dull. I often feel like I'm watching myself go through the motions of my life. Even when I'm with my partner, I feel words coming out of my mouth in routine rather than anything else. When I drink alcohol I start to think to much and get depressed, sometimes I will have bouts of crying. I don't enjoy being around family and friends. Nothing gives me motivation or hope. What do I do?
>>
>>17762194
Do something satisfying? Probably too obvious, but literally 99% of people just do shit they don't like because m-muh expectations, m-muh social pressure, m-muh wagecuckery.
>>
>>17758546
How normal is it to very occasionally (like 2-3 times a year) to hear voices and/or screams in your head? The voices are saying anything, it's like being in a coffee shop. Typically happens when I'm in bed.
>>
>>17758546
I've been on and off med for 15 years. Had too much shit happen as a kid and was told I have ptsd and bipolar tendencies. I struggle with the noise of life, people, busy places...its all so loud! My problem is my dreams, so vivid and real, being chased while lost in a maze, watching my loved ones being eaten by rabid animals, being raped. My partner thinks I'm having enjoyable sex with people in my dreams, but the only times I remember 'sex' it hasn't been enjoyable in my nightmares. How do I fix this how do I stop them? I've had cbt and intensive cbt but well it did zip...I'm lost beyond belief right now, and worried ill loose the love of my life because of my fucked up subconscious.
>>
How do I get off my lazy ass and actually get started on my damn grad schools assignments? I coasted through undergrad and now I'm falling behind. I wake up at 9 but don't leave my bed til 1 pm, feeling like I've wasted my whole day. "Tomorrow I'll make things right." Of course, tomorrow never comes.
>>
>>17758583
we are just an extension of your thinking.
>>
>>17758546
are internet tests for psych problems real? is mbti a legit personlity test?
>>
I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - diagnosed by seperate, independent professionals when I was about seven years old. Went through several rounds of CBT and shit - stopped going to therapy as an adult because I couldn't afford it and thought I was functioning well.

About five years ago, a series of shitty events including my fathers death left me less able to cope, my compulsions and intrusive thoughts became unbarable.

I tried to go back into therapy and back onto paroxetine - the meds helped but every psych I saw was garbage.

The last therapist I went to bizarrely refused to treat me for my OCD, insisting that my symptoms came exclusively from grief of my father passing away ( even though I have had these mental issues when my dad was alive; decades before he died) and who insisted keeping a journal was all the therapy I needed. Same psych proceeded to harass me to make new appointments when I stopped visiting her.

Another one was basically a hippie lady who kept a screaming pet bird at her practice and who did nothing but talk about her other patients.

How the duck do I find competent mental health professionals? I had wonderful psychiatrists and therapists as a kid but as an adult, I am struggling.
>>
>>17762259
Not OP but that's perfectly normal. Most people get auditory hallucinations right before falling asleep or as they're waking up at some point.
>>
>>17758618
i simply tell people stuff only when they ask. But i have no one to talk to so it doesn't matter.
>>
OP still here?
>>
File: download (4).jpg (7KB, 184x273px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
7KB, 184x273px
>OP hasn't posted any real proof that they're a real psychiatrist.

>78 posters in this thread
>78 people who believed OP was a real psychiatrist just because they said they were a real psychiatrist without any proof

Hey guys. I'm actually a psychiatrist too! Ask me advice! I'll help you all!

If you see anybody else say they're a real psychiatrist, make sure to ask them for advice too! Because that means they're also a psychiatrist!
>>
>>17762756
if you spend enough time anonymous, you develop a certain internal litmus test. it's not failproof obviously since there can be convincing fakes, but it's reliable enough. anyone who believes wholeheartedly in bullshit they read on 4chan is a retard, but it's not hard to get an overall, basic feel for a poster's veracity.
>>
>>17762756
Have you considered that people in this thread are mostly so desperate that they just don't fucking care whether OP actually ist ja psych or not. Maybe, just maybe, they simply want to talk about their fucked up lifes and get atleast some spark of support, even if it's just by some fat trap-loving neckbeard pretending to be a psych?

No, u is 2 smart fo diese, rrrright?
>>
>>17758546
So i have been taking risperdal for about a year and I am adamant to my doctors about side effects but they dont listen. This all started from a psychosis and they tried to label me as a shit. Should I shoot up the .... Never mind. Should I of ever taken it. i used to be a normal good teenager. Now I am mindless and my Consciousness is gone and I can't hear my voice in my head and I'm scared.
>>
>>17758546

I've been dealing with depression caused by school bullying. I have tried everything but I doesn't seem to reverse the damage.
>>
Can weed (especially sativa) help against depression? Or does it worsen things?
>>
Are non-binary people real in your opinion OP?
Thread posts: 204
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.