[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you handle being an outsider in an otherwise homogeneous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20161109-231056_1.jpg (102KB, 1080x815px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161109-231056_1.jpg
102KB, 1080x815px
How do you handle being an outsider in an otherwise homogeneous group?

I started a PhD program (in poly-sci for what it's worth) a few months back, and insofar as I can tell, I'm the only person in the department who supports Trump. Everyone else is on the Warren side of progressive.

So far I've been able to avoid severe social sanctions and ostracism by keeping my head down, but today that became harder. Not only did I have to keep my jubilee in check, expressing the appropriately somber tones, but the open hatred for anyone who supported Trump increased by at least an order of magnitude. People, including at least one professor, were seriously talking about this being the end of democracy and discussing the coming death camps.

It was completely ridiculous, and I wanted to say something, but concerns for my future career and social life permitted me to hold my tongue. Do I just have to grin and bear it for the next five years? Should I just come out for Trump and damn the consequences? I understand the worst of it will probably die down in a year or so, once they discover the world didn't end, but how can I get by for now?
>>
You should keep controversial opinions private. Why do you feel the need to go against the grain if it serves no purpose?
>>
Just keep quiet OP. No need to risk anything for no reward.
>>
Religion and politics should be private relationships.
>>
>>17749526

have you considered not talking about trump? if others are talking just say 'i dont like to talk about politics'.

frankly i dont see why most people dont have this mindset.
>>
>>17749526
What's your PHD about?

Take notes about the discussions, start a blog, write an essay, become a critic.

It's your civil duty to do somehing.
>>
>>17749526
this is a huge problem. the liberals don't see how trump got elected. they say they didn't here anyone really supporting him, or that were to ashamed to voice our "racist" views but in reality it's that they attack anyone who disagrees with them. they spot off this crazy shit and call you Hitler if you speak you mind. I live in Colorado and had some Mexican bitch walk up to me out of no where and slap the trump hat off my head. I was just walking through the grocery store minding my own business, but somehow I'm the violent one, not the bitch that came up and hit me with no provocation
>>
>>17749526
>How do you handle being an outsider in an otherwise homogeneous group?
>trump
well played
>>
OP, I am in a similar situation, but at least I have a like-minded group of friends. In work and other social situations, it is difficult though. Pick your battles carefully and be as tactful as you can. The hysteria will die down eventually.

>>17750618
>if others are talking just say 'i dont like to talk about politics'.
That would be hard for him to do, considering he is a political science department.
>>
File: 1473992417523.png (2MB, 1300x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1473992417523.png
2MB, 1300x1100px
>>17749526
>I started a PhD program
keep silent about trump and your consevitive thoughts
sucks that lefties are such nazis , ha crazy world
>>
>>17749526
> severe social sanctions and ostracism by keeping my head down
You don't sound any less ridiculous than the death camp crowd. As long you contribute to the discussion somewhat reasonable, nobody really gives a fuck about you nor your views.

Basically not "MAGA, BAN ALL MUDSLIMES, GO BACK, PABLO" but explain why somebody not mentally impaired could've vote for Trump, as there are legitimate reasons for that. Don't deny the obvious downsides. For fucks sake, how can you study poly-sci and have such trouble with basic debating?

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/
Is a pretty good reference point of how to discuss Trump without sounding like an alt-right faggot.
>>
>>17749526
>I started a PhD program (in poly-sci for what it's worth)
Political science is a worthless degree. If you don't believe me, go look at starting salaries and ask graduates if their degree got them a job in politics.
>>
>>17750618
This.
I work retail and I'll have multiple customers try to talk to me about trump. I am personally not for him, but I'm not about to try and argue with them about politics.
I just grin and bear it. I don't believe in mixing work with politics, just doesn't belong there. It'll be awkward between you and your peers and it just won't be worth it.
>>
>>17749526
I'm in the opposite position. Live in Texas and am surrounded by Trump supporters. Constantly gloating and being assholes. One mention of Hillary's name and everyone gets hyper aggressive.
>>
>>17750618
>frankly i dont see why most people dont have this mindset.
Because the last several decades have given people the assumption that their opinions matter. This goes for both sides of the aisle.
>>
>>17749526
Tell them that they must not be very good at poly sci then.
>>
>>17750644
Neolibs burned this year to the ground insofar as their global political standing is concerned. They're being pressed back on all fronts, and I don't think it's over yet.

It's been a long time coming. The PC bootheels are burning, and those who are smart will go barefoot before the fire engulfs all.
>>
>>17749526
I wouldn't worry about it, or just lie.
Honestly most doctors are really hypocritical so I'm willing to bet those students and that professor would welcome death camps if they were for rural white men.

As a left-leaning centrist, I don't particularly agree with your position, but I respect it. Moreso since neoliberals seem to be causing so much shit over it.
>>
File: 1478835874494.jpg (27KB, 509x429px) Image search: [Google]
1478835874494.jpg
27KB, 509x429px
>>17750904
>As long you contribute to the discussion somewhat reasonable, nobody really gives a fuck about you nor your views.
That's not what I've seen.
>>
>>17751776
The real left has just as much to be pissed about with the current status quo as the Trumpets.

The world's not becoming 'more right' or 'more left', it's becoming 'more polarized'. Because the 'middle ground' ended up selling out to the corporate dole like anyone else.
>>
>>17751812
Yee I agree. Like the article in >>17750904 's post, it's a cold civil war between the urban and rural areas.

I was disappointed when Bernie threw his lot in with Hilldog, but I think he knew it was rigged way before any of us. At that point it would be unfeasible to cut himself out like that. A lot of people seem to like the idea of him founding a new party, so maybe I'll send him a letter supporting that, as well as personally thanking him.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.