[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes someone seem smart? You can usually tell right away

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1477430926016.jpg (88KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1477430926016.jpg
88KB, 500x500px
What makes someone seem smart? You can usually tell right away when you meet someone. How do fake it?
>>
>>17749426
>How do fake it?
What's the point in faking it when you'll soon prove how stupid you are?
>>
I give off this impression, and I've had someone say it was due to my vocabulary/way of speaking. Not sure exactly how that opinion arises, but I believe it has a lot to do with how you articulate your thoughts and opinions.
>>
>>17749426
You can tell even easier when someone is faking it in an effort to seem smart. However I can share a few tips for communication that can aid you:

Practice the practical aspects of communication - make eye contact, avoid use 'ums', 'uhhs', 'like' etc., don't speak too quickly or slowly. If you really struggle look into some public speaking classes or toastmasters, or at least watch some videos about it online.
Educate yourself on topical issues and take some time to develop a considered position.
Avoid speaking on things you know little about, if the conversation heads into that territory it's best to focus on listening.
Practice talking to a wide range of people, not just people who are similar to you.
Learn how to ask good questions - if a question can be answered with a yes/no, it's not a good question.
>>
>>17749426

imo someone seems smart to me if they have good articulation. George Bush went to Yale, he's clearly a smart guy, but he had a bad way of articulating himself and people think he's an idiot.
>>
>>17749439
>avoid using 'ums', 'uhhs', 'like'
these don't necessarily make you look dumb t b h. i know many people who "speak well" in the sense that they don't have these fillers, but they really don't seem smart in general.

one of them is my boss. she is the CEO. she knows well enough how to run a business, but she really, really lacks intelligence. me and my "other boss" were talking about misogyny, and she goes "what's that?"
she doesn't know about electoral colleges, etc, etc. the list goes on. she is very good at what she does, but i definitely wouldn't say she seems intelligent. i'm sure she is business smart, but in general, no, not really.

to answer OP's question, it's hard to seem smart without actually being smart, because it shines through pretty easily.

it's easier for me to answer the question "what makes someone seem stupid?"
1. staying quiet during conversations. people will most of the time assume you're a dumbass.
2. not being confident when you do participate in the conversation
3. being unsure of yourself in general makes you look like an idiot, sadly.
>>
File: image.jpg (250KB, 1950x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250KB, 1950x1200px
>>17749426
People think I'm genius level smart or retarded and basically everything in between. Lesson learned that what other people think of your intelligence because it's a function of how much they like you. Focus on becoming likeable.
>>
>>17749426
Smart people can listen. Also they tend to note things one wouldn't notice right away and the most easy one, admitting that they don't know something. Avoiding overly mundane small talk is a part too.

But like another anon noted, what's the point pretending? If you lie somebody about your big dick or a big bank account it can take a good while for people to find out the truth; if you're not as smart as you pretend to be, any semi competent person will realize that you're full of shit after 10 minutes.

>>17749723
That's a bit too simplistic. Yes there are many people who do it but they are idiots either way, not sure whether OP wants to appeal to them.
>>
>>17749792
Most people are easily impressed by someone being well read, listening carefully, using big words when necessary and mostly importantly knowing when to stop talking. Why would you want to sound smart to people smarter than average anyway? They hang out with other clever people so often that it not really that special to them.
>>
You can't fake it. Or, well, you can fake being smart in front of people who are not that smart. But people who are actually intelligent will know very soon. Being able to come up with reactions and solutions to the unexpected is not something you can fake. Intelligent people can tell very quickly when someone is just trying to act smart.
>>
I find that personally I think someone is intelligent when I see they "react" to questions fast, give quick and eloquent answers, don't stutter, use eye contact a lot.
>>
File: printer.jpg (37KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
printer.jpg
37KB, 640x627px
>What makes someone seem smart?
Being smart.

>You can usually tell right away when you meet someone. How do fake it?
You don't.

Be articulate, socially nuanced and able to interpret someones intent and questions correctly. These will have people feel you're intelligent and understanding more than anything else.

Other than that, be well read, educated and skilled. Dress well and look good since we know that people assume good looking people are naturally better in other areas of their life.
>>
>>17749836
Oh great, I hit every bullet point for being a retard.

Still have a degree in STEM and do decent work but definitely come across as a retard.
>>
>>17749806
For most people, using big words is a really good way to out yourself as an idiot. It's easy to spot people trying to show horn big words in where they're not needed. They'll often use them out of context, or steer the conversation off at a tangent just to slip their favourite phrase in.

Something you find with really intelligent people (which is not the same as being well educated) is that they can explain just about anything in a simple manner. Anyone can parrot something they read in a text book, but explaining special relativity to a child in two minuites takes a clever man.

That said, you can only fake intelligence around people who aren't as smart as you. Intelligent people will spot idiots from a mile away.
>>
The most important thing is how much they like. If they like you they'll most likely think you're smart. That's why parents always think their kids are smart.

Secondly it's how much your views and opinions resemble theirs (and it also affects how much they like you). If you have the same opinions as them you will consider them smart, because it validates your own ideas.

Thirdly is actually how smart, well-informed and wise they are. You know that guy in college who got straight As, got any concept really fast and was pretty much good with any technical subject? Most people admit that guy is smart, even if they don't like it and think his opinions are dumb. Also being knowledgeable in a wide area of subjects and have life experience will allow you to form a competent opinion in any discussion so you'll spew out less dumb shit.

And lastly is how you communicate, verbally and non-verbally. If people have an easy time understanding what you're trying to say and they like your voice, your accent, your way of speaking, your gestures etc. they'll think you smarter.

To "fake it"
>appear interested in other peoples interests and passions
>let the other person talk when you have nothing to say, don't ramble
>be an active listener
>talk slowly and use gestures
>>
>>17750124
Exactly. Dumb people can mistake someone dumb for being smart. Smart people will never mistake someone dumb for being smart. You will never be able to seem smarter than you are in front of someone who is actually smarter than you.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.