[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some advice regarding my career and potential studying.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: maccas.png (315KB, 828x430px) Image search: [Google]
maccas.png
315KB, 828x430px
I need some advice regarding my career and potential studying. Currently, I'm 20 in Australia and working as a manager at a McDonald's for nearly two years, but within the company for nearly five.

It's 32-40hrs/week shift work that I have to be available nearly 24/7 for, it has destroyed my social life and sleeping habits. It is worsening some mental and physical health problems. I'm living out of home with my girlfriend, and my relationship with her has been strained. I'm ultimately really unhappy with this job, I have no friends there, and want to try to leave.

I can't quit straight up because my girlfriend is struggling with employment and is on welfare. My only qualification is a Cert III in Retail Operations done through McDonalds. I don't have any opportunities for more training here atm, and I've had no luck with other jobs so far. I think I want to study but I'm unsure. I've considered doing a Certificate IV in Retail Management through TAFE to try and get a job elsewhere, or a certificate for something like ICT/networking which is something that would interest me.

However, I'm not sure I could take the added workload, or if these would be ideal ventures. I've never studied before and dropped out of high school due to mental health issues, so I don't really what to do regarding studying, how to go about it, or how I can try to get jobs out of it. I don't know if I should keep trying to apply for management positions, or try to downgrade to a regular retail position if I try to study. I feel stuck and struggling incredibly, and I just don't know how to try and proceed. I guess I just don't really know how anything works since I've only ever been at McDonalds, and I'm scared because I rely on the financial stability this job is providing, even though I'm a mess.

Pic related, fuck this shit.
>>
>>17749374
20 is too young to be stuck in a dead-end job. If you want to study you should be eligible for the dole, if you combine that with 5-15 hrs of work/week you should be fine financially. If that isn't enough income you need to reassess where you're living, move to a cheaper suburb or a shared house with 3-4 occupants instead of 2. Tbh if you are spending more than $300/week on rent, food and bills you need to take a look at where the money is going. Dole is $250/week straight up, plus students get mad lump-sum payments, with part time work and maybe some full time in semester breaks you should be doing fine.

I think keep applying for jobs you have at least some chance of getting, retail management experience is generally going to be looked at more favourably than fast food, plus it's a better workplace. Have a think about a career that suits you and find out what courses you need to get there then give it a go. At 20 it's hard to be certain about where you want to go but you have to try things, otherwise you'll never really know.
>>
>>17749374
OP whereabouts in Australia?

I'm 24 and have an office job, but i'm probably being paid less than someone that works at macca's, and doing more.. let's say stressful work. In that the risk of fucking up isn't an unhappy customer, but thousands of dollars of lost sales/revenue.

you seem like a nice, reasonably intelligent guy.

>>17749421
this person seems to have good advice, although their $300/week thing seems a little optimistic to me? But I live in the CBD of melbourne, so maybe it's me. I pay about $250/week on rent alone.
>>
>>17749374
You're only working 32-40hrs a week and you're complaining? Lol try working 60+ hrs before you start complaining.
>>
>>17749421
I did have one store that I applied to for a managerial position tell me that they didn't want me because my experience was fast food. I really appreciate that advice, I didn't really know what kind of options I had open to me and I guess it didn't occur to me that I could go on the dole while studying. What you pointed out sounds like really a sound plan and I think it's something that I could manage. Some of my local TAFEs seem to be doing information sessions for some of their courses this month and next, so I think I will go to a couple and see if I can find something. Living on a tight budget with a part time job and studying something I want has to be a lot better for me, even if my current job is paying well, right?

>>17749487
Adelaide, a lot of cheap housing around here so I'll be able to do well on that regard.

That sounds really unpleasant. I do admit that my pay here is quite good, and part of me feels like I'm just being entitled and should just accept that I have a stable job with decent pay. But even still I don't feel like it's worth it when I don't get to see friends or go out much, and I hardly get to do things with my girlfriend. How do you cope with the stress?
>>
>>17749573
>how do you cope with the stress?
shit, i don't know really. i have really bad anxiety and depression. i'd still rather be dead than be doing this shit. but at this point i don't have anything to lose so i'm just kind of going with it. i'm still terrified every day i am going to lose my job. i'm not australian, so i don't have government assistance if i lose my job. i have family (not in aus) but i don't like them, and i don't want their assistance, nor would they offer me assistance if i needed it anyway.

weekends are a huge relief for me though. I guess you don't have that. i have 2 guaranteed days every week i don't have to worry about work shit.

just from what you said about needing to be available 24/7 makes me think i'd probably be worse off in your position, maybe? most of the stress for me from this job though is that the tasks i get (which, by the way, are directly from her own workload. i've been told my position is really an executive assistant position. and they get paid at least twice as much as i do.) are almost always things that take more than 1 day to solve, and sometimes they take weeks, and up to months. so those things are always at the back of my mind, even when i can't progress further with them.

i talk 2 much soz. i have no friends
>>
>>17749608
I would absolutely love to be able to have weekends off. I rarely get two days off straight as it is. I know what it's like with depression though, and the stress from work just seems to exaggerate it.

I have a similar situation with my family too, they live interstate and we don't really have anything to do with one another. My girlfriend is all I have and that's why I fret so much about giving up this job. If we weren't able to make our way financially, we'd be out on the streets.

Don't be sorry, it's been great.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.