[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do people actually ever "grow up", or is it just that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (22KB, 407x286px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 407x286px
Do people actually ever "grow up", or is it just that you sometime just accept you can't expect to act like a kid anymore and have to start pretending you don't want to?

Do you ever REALLY grow out of wanting someone to take care of you, or do you just eventually come to accept that nobody will ever look after you again and that's why adults crawl somewhere to hide when they need to cry?
>>
Your definition of "Grow up" is different than most

Most people want to leave their parents taking care of them when they're 15.

But yes, your idea of "growing up" is very simplistic.
You learn to do these easy menial tasks easily

This is the easiest part of growing up.
The rest is much harder
>>
i mean, i don't think people stop wanting to be taken care of. why would people stop wanting to receive affection?

i think however one difference would be that i no longer wish to just receive affection, i want to make other people happy. like, stupidly happy.

growing up isn't just about wanting/not wanting to be taken care of.
>>
>>17749371
I first moved out when I was 19, and ended up moving back at home at 22 once I graduated. I work, buy the groceries, do the laundry and dishes and all, and I hate the lack of freedom and privacy, but I still deep down wish someone would every once in a while check up and see if I'm doing ok instead of just making an angry accusation that I'm not, and guilting me for hiding my tracks.

>>17749376
It's not? Then why does it happen?
>>
>>17749357

Yes, some people get a great deal of satisfaction by being out on their own, making their own decisions, and not being held to someone else's rules.

Certainly it's nice to have someone do the menial things, like laundry and cleaning, but being able to say "I want to go see Paris" and being able to go see Paris and plan it myself is very liberating.
>>
>>17749407
I do cook and do the laundry. I just wish I was allowed to have a bad day or a bad thing happening to me without someone picking up a microscope to find out what I fucked up to deserve it.

This one time, I had the sniffles because I am not active enough a member of the workers' union.
>>
>>17749357
you don't have to grow up but people usually grow up when circumstances force them to. if you don't have that circumstance you have to force yourself to do so.

it's nice being independent but it's also nice having people who care about you. try to find the middle ground.
>>
>>17749357

everyones different. i definitely dont feel the urge to be taken care of.
>>
>>17749432
What kind of circumstances?
>>
I don't cry or want anyone to take care of me because adult man hormones and I'm 30 goddamn years old, respectively
>>
>>17749436
So it stops eventually?

When?
>>
>>17749435
i knew this guy whose dad was a lazy piece of shit and he had to go out and work and basically become the breadwinner of the family.
basically any circumstance which forces you to take action or else.
if you're talking about how to force yourself, get a job.
>>
>>17749371
i think your definition of growing up lacks just as much maturity as OP's

"most people" this and that
yeah whatever dude

I also moved back in after college, not because I don't have the money but just because I saw no good reason to move out and have the balls to not care what others think of me
if that's not grown up then I don't really want to I guess
>>
>>17749357
Growing up is going through the tough shit in life after you reach adulthood. Once most of it passes you become more hardened and less likely to give a shit.
>>
>>17749443
I already have a job. My mom lends money from me to pay for both the taxes and her mortage.

>>17749508
What do you mean by tough shit?

I've had it fairly tough at times, or at least as far as upper middle-class white boys go.
>>
>>17749525
>upper middle-class white boy

oh. don't expect to grow up any time soon. maybe one day if you fuck around enough and get enough girls pregnant and fall into massive debt that your family don't or can't help you get out of. maybe then you'll grow up.

but for now, you have no incentive to grow up. no reason to. so you probably won't.
>>
>>17749525
then i don't get your problem, if you want people to care about you then be choosy about your relationships/friendships.
>>
>>17749565
I have friends and family. But being nagged at for not living up to someone's standards is not the same.
>>
>>17749581
your parents?
then either let them know that it's your life and they can either accept it and let you live it and if they still continue just distance yourself from them.
>>
>>17749584
Isn't that immature?

I'm currently trying to buy a car online. I have no fucking inkling of the fuck I'm doing but good lord I want out of here.
>>
>>17749611
i feel you man. my parents are the same except their tactic is to be really nice to me and guilt trip me into living the life they want for me. friends are the family of the 21st century, just gtfo asap.
>>
>>17749628
I just bought a car from my friend's dad. It was supposed to go to her uncle and in his own words he wouldn't sell a car to his daughter's friend that he wouldn't sell to his brother.
>>
>>17749418
>I just wish I was allowed to have a bad day or a bad thing happening to me without someone picking up a microscope to find out what I fucked up to deserve it
Just wish my parents would fucking notice how pathetic it looks when they're doing just that.
>>
>>17750012
Like, I shit you not about the sniffles thing.

This one time I had a runny nose and a little cough, and I remarked how I always get them when I'm on morning shifts on saturday because it's the factory clean-up day and all the dust they mop up is in the air.

Enter my sister, doing this face:

>then why don't you wear a dust mask?
...Because nobody at the factory wears one?
>you should be setting an example
They don't provide us with masks.
>why not?
Because it isn't a part of out uniform?
>why not?
The fuck if I know?! It's not required by the union?
>don't be rude to me. Why isn't it required by the union?
[I give up, attempt to leave the conversation.]
>You should tell your supervisors that you require dust masks. Tell the health inspector and take it to the workers' union.
[baffled, I give up.]

TL;DR: I am a bad person who doesn't care for the well-being of others, all for having a runny nose.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 263x258px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 263x258px
>>17750046
I forgot the face.
>>
>>17749357
>have to start pretending
That doesn't sound like "grown up" for me. An adult doesn't give any fucks about how he/she is perceived unless it somehow affects their life.

>Do you ever REALLY grow out of wanting someone to take care of you
Can only answer it personally; and the thought of someone taking care of me made me feel bad about it the second I had it.

>>17749376
Receiving attention is something completely different though, that's very human.

>>17750046
>then why don't you wear a dust mask?
>...Because nobody at the factory wears one?
Perfect example of childish thinking. "All the kids do X, so I can't do Y even thought it would be more fun and benefit me."
>>
>>17750075
Affection*, although attention is crucial too I guess.
>>
Because you start to experience new feelings and moments our personality is altered by these experiences..
>nei
>>
>>17750075
But if NOBODY sees the reason to wear them, and I don't want to, it's weird.

Imagine wearing a bike helmet while walking down the street. Sure, that's weird as fucking shit and everyone knows you're a retard, but it grants you protection in the freak chance you get hit by a car/meteor, right?

And if that's solid logic to you, why don't YOU wear a bike helmet everywhere>>17750075
, you poser?
>>
>>17750216
>But if NOBODY sees the reason to wear them
Then they are idiots. Or can deal with dust better than you. (which is still idiotic)

>it's weird.
It's childish to think along these lines. Don't worry, you'll realize and will laugh about your overly self conscious self in couple years.

As for the helmet bullshit, the downside in comfort would be not worth the minimal benefits. To use a closer example, a dust mask is like wearing warmer clothes and gloves while everybody else is still in a light hoodie, or a fucking umbrella for light rain. Who gives a fuck if the others feel warm or don't care about getting wet? You act accordingly to your best interest.
>>
>>17750232
Oh my fucking god marry my sister.

You two deserve each other and no fucking kid from hell deserves y'all for parents.
>>
>>17750319
I am not really the marriage-type, anon. Sorry. Although she does sound decent.

So how do you imagine parenting? Telling the kid to do everything to fit it, no matter how unhappy and even unhealthy it makes them?
>>
File: 9031-wallpapers-game-video.png (19KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
9031-wallpapers-game-video.png
19KB, 1920x1080px
The definition of 'grown up' or adult varies per person. I consider an adult a person that fully knows themself, can mentally or emotionally support themselves and understands the value of cutting loose and embracing your childlike or innocent side. Those that constantly hound others for their immaturity or block it can sometimes be correct in specific situations, but often they appear to me as those that wish to push their strict ideals onto others; like a child in an ill-fitting suit playing at being an adult when they don't even know how to fix their tie.

Financially we are not all equal, so if a person has to live at home I believe that is fine as long as they assist in some way. I've had friends reconnect with parents as they left as spunky, rebellious teenagers yet returned as humbled adults. Living with and taking care of your aging parents is a new hurdle, but a noble one. Any person that knocks this does not understand the meaning of family.

I guess it can just be boiled down to emotional and financial independence with the realization of your humanity and understanding of those around you. Life is a bit predictable but it's not a 'one size fits all' scenario. People will discover or realize things at different rates and move as quickly as their feet will allow. Sometimes they might need a push like a baby bird. I cannot judge another person's struggle since what I see as a bump in the road could be an enormous challenge to them and vice versa.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.