[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /adv/. I'm wanting to move out soon. I can't quite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1407425892502.gif (1MB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
1407425892502.gif
1MB, 400x226px
Hey, /adv/. I'm wanting to move out soon. I can't quite afford to live on my own so it'll likely be with a roommate.

Any advice for roommating? Just anything that comes to mind? What to look out for? Dos/Don'ts? Things you wish you had known.

Just anything you find important if someone you knew were to get a roommate that someone who's never done it before might overlook.
>>
Even if you're morally okay with pot/tobacco, keep in mind that that shit smells horrible and it'll get on everything you own, regardless of where your stuff is in relation to your roommate.
>>
you will likely not have a good roommate if they are randoms. if you have friends that can do this with you, much better, but even then it can be hard to live with people.

don't let your roommate get away with shit that you both agreed on not doing. if somebody disregards an agreement you've had (even if only verbal), make sure they know you are paying attention and are not happy about it.
>>
>>17747318
I've been thinking about this. I myself don't smoke pot or have anything against it, but if I were to live with someone, I think I'd prefer they not smoke it around me. It smells horrible.

>>17747324
Unfortunately, no friends. Everyone around here is mostly a young professionals.
>>
>>17747307
Most of it is common sense, if you go into it with a general attitude of being considerate and not causing problems for the other housemates you'll soon pick up the etiquette. However, some specifics to consider:

Look at a bunch of places so you have options. Don't be afraid to say no if you get a bad vibe, likewise if you find a good place jump on that ASAP before it goes to someone else.
You want people who have a similar tolerance for tidiness and quiet to you, if they are much more lax or particular about it than you it will lead to friction.
Be careful about what agreements you sign, make sure you keep record of bond payments and the condition of the house/room.
Be considerate of shared rooms and utilities and make sure you don't prevent others from using them. Clean shared cookware immediately after you finish eating, schedule torrents for sleep hours, etc.
Make sure the internet is suitable for your needs (sounds minor but unreliable or slow internet can be a big problem).
Ask about the neighbours.
I'm going to say it again - clean your shared cookware immediately after use, nothing leads to more fights than a housemate not being able to use their favourite saucepan because it's full of caked-on shit from the last person who used it.
Approach conflict in a tactful way and pick your battles, everyone will have some annoying habits (including you) and it's better to save the confrontation for things that actually matter.
>>
>>17747454
Appreciate the advice. Most of it does come off as common sense. I definitely want to be as considerate to people as I can be, considering they're allowing me to live in their place, but I expect the same in return
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.