[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to learn where to put the/(-) in English quickly? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

How to learn where to put the/(-) in English quickly? I have problems with it
>>
http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/hyphen.html

It's not used very widely IMO.
>>
>>17739520
The short answer is between syllables. Look in dictionary for where the syllable break is. Some word processing programs can be set to automatically hyphenate for you, though they are far from 100% accurate.
>>
>>17739526
I didn't mean hyphen with (-), I meant where to put the and where not
>>
with (-) I mean no article before a word
>>
>>17739537
I have no idea what you mean now. Give an example.
>>
>>17739539
In my books, when there is an exercise to put the or nothing before a word, they write "Put the/(-) in the exercise", so for example if there is school as a building you write the school and when there's school as an institution you write (-) school
>>
>>17739546
Ah, I think I understand you now. It's the difference between "Apples are nice" and "The apples are in the bag".

And the difference is whether you are talking about a specific example or the general idea of the thing.

"School is necessary" is not talking about any specific school but just the idea of education.

"The school is on Main Street" is talking about a specific building.

"Girls are weird" is a general statement about the sex as a whole
"The girls in my class are weird" is about specific persons.

Get it?
>>
>>17739560
Thanks, but there are also many other places where you put the and where you don't, not only if you're talking about specific things
>>
>>17739632
Actually there aren't many exceptions to that general rule. And those that exist are more a matter of local dialect. Americans say that someone having an operation is "in the hospital" while Brits say he is "in hospital" but that's the only oddity I can think of.
>>
>>17739546
I am British and have never heard of an exercise like this. I'll bet it was invented by someone whos first language is not english.

Unless it's to help you to realise you're speaking American English...
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.