[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is it to transfer to an elite university from a state

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Željko_Ražnatović[2].jpg (40KB, 400x606px) Image search: [Google]
Željko_Ražnatović[2].jpg
40KB, 400x606px
How hard is it to transfer to an elite university from a state school?

I'm fairly smart (no dunning kruger, just being candid, I pick up things pretty easily and have a solid memory). My life as a teenager was fucked up due to my parents' extreme financial woes and my fucked up childhood. Not going to go into detail but I basically had no formal education in high school and got a GED at a very young age. But I want to get a JD, an MBA, or possibly a PhD in pure math or economics.

I'm going to a CC right now as a math/econ major and it's very trivial for me since I taught myself all this at a young age. I should transfer out by next fall (took clep tests to get out of everything) to a pretty good state university (think public flagship in the 50-70 rank range) for pure math and econ.

After a year at the state school, how likely is it that I can transfer to, say, cal tech, or carnegie mellon, etc? These are the classes I'll be taking at the state school:

>real analysis
>abstract algebra
>intermediate micro econ
>intermediate macro econ (or econometrics. haven't decided)

What do I need? Will they discriminate against me for initially going to CC?

I don't myself particularly care about prestige and find the obnoxious upper class preening surrounding it somewhat irritating. But I know that you're going to get more opportunities opened to you (in fact, many will EXCLUSIVELY be opened to you in this case) if you have "Washington University in St Louis" or "columbia" on your CV versus "university of georgia" or "university of iowa". Also the whole sports and kegstands thing is never the kind of thing I felt comfortable around, I don't really think I'd fit into the culture of a state school as much as an elite one, not because I think the education is inferior, but because there'd be more people to discuss kant and russian literature with.

Anyway, thanks. There's not a ton of info out there about transferring in, as opposed to getting in as a freshman.

pic unrelated
>>
also my gpa is currently a 3.9 and I've taken all the lower div math classes

I'm teaching myself analysis and algebra on my own in preparation for next year, obviously I need to do well, but assuming I do, how probable is transferring to an elite school?
>>
Understand that these top tier schools get thousands of transfer applications and only admitting below 10%. This means not only must your grades be stellar but your extracurricular but having a respected professors back you up is essential. A 3.9 gpa isn't enough to get in...I hope you know that anon.

How is your essay coming along anyway?
>>
File: b54[1].jpg (360KB, 1500x1061px) Image search: [Google]
b54[1].jpg
360KB, 1500x1061px
>>17735925
>a 3.9 isn't enough

but that's 1 b for every 9 a's...

what the fuck man, time2killself

No essay, it's a year and several months away. I need to focus on testing out of the dumb pre req's that are required, and really doing extremely well in my rigorous classes at the BigStateU next year.

What kind of extracurriculars do they want to see?
>>
>>17735937

It's harder to get into top schools as a transfer than as freshman. Unless you've done something amazing outside of getting a 4.0, you probably aren't getting in and that is me being brutally honest.

>What kind of extracurriculars do they want to see?

Consistent volunteer work, club activity and leadership skills. This should have been active from day 1 from your university start date. If you knew you were transferring from the get go then stockpiling all this should have been your goal.

Aside from that professor recommendations are also important but that requires a constant....meddling which I am not a fan of.If you have a couple of professors you get a long with and they know your name, get them asap.

Go to your school's academic advisor and set a very in depth meeting anon.
>>
>>17735894
You do know that some state schools (Berkeley, UCLA, some of the Big Ten) are ranked higher than some of the Ivy League, don't you?
>>
>>17736053
literally none of that is true.
>>
>>17736112
Hahaha yes it is. Majority of Ivy League is a fucking joke curriculum and fucking joke as far as grade inflation, and research output with grants received. When 2/3 of your freshmen have a 4.0GPA and 82% graduate with honors there is something going on.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21615616-not-what-it-used-be-grade-expectations
http://qz.com/157579/confession-of-an-ivy-league-teaching-assistant-heres-why-i-inflated-grades/
http://www.nyunews.com/2014/09/17/bisin-13/
http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/the-college-solution/2011/03/01/the-ivy-league-earnings-myth
>>
>>17736112
Holy fuck you are retarded.

The top 3 schools in math are Berkley, caltech, and mit. Literally everyone in academia know that ivy league aren't the top. They are up there (and perhaps the top in some fields like law). But overall, no.
>>
>>17736262
No, the top is Princeton. Berkeley is #2.

I meant overall. In math, absolutely. Not talking about grad programs, we're tLking about overall, for getting a good career.
>>
>>17736269
Click on the last link in >>17736169

Extensive studies show that there is zero difference in income between identical degrees from Ivy League vs state institution. At all.

You must have attended Ivy League with that reading comprehension and attentiveness to sources.
>>
>>17735894
Something like Ohio State? Certainly possible. If with the 3.9 you have things like extracurriculars, I'd say there's a chance. If you don't get in though you're a very good candidate for grad schools at these institutions.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.