[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a 49 year old mother of 3 children, and I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: sad.jpg (173KB, 1200x802px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
173KB, 1200x802px
I'm a 49 year old mother of 3 children, and I've been married to my husband for 20 years. My mother in law is the problem. She lives right next to us, so she constantly comes over with food, to the point where we have so much food, we can't eat everything and have to throw it away. We get food EVERYDAY in large portions, then she gets upset when we don't eat it. If we don't like it, she gets very upset and starts blaming me for not being able to take care of the kids because me and my husband both work full time jobs. She is so controlling as well, when she doesn't control everything she starts worrying and won't leave people alone. We have had MULTIPLE talks with her (this is an understatement) about reducing the amount of food she brings over, but 3 days after the talk she starts doing it again. Not only this, but she is so invasive in everything that goes on in my family. I really can't escape it. She wants to know what everyone is doing at every time of the week. It drives me and my husband crazy. I feel like I've done everything I can, and I'm ready to be totally adamant about her not bringing food over. Even if I have to leave my husband to get away from her.

Also to provide some extra context, we are a Korean family that lives in the US. My grandma speaks at about a 4th grade level English while the rest of the family is completely fluent because all my children were born in the US, while me and my husband moved to America at a young age from Korea (around 6th grade).

Please help, any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm convinced she is obsessed with us and blows off everything we say to her. This is 20 years in the making and this drives me crazy. And I'm positive this isn't because my father in law died and she's lonely, but according to my husband and his brothers, she's always been like this. She's a very controlling person, and butts into everything. She does this all in the name of love, but it sure doesn't feel like it.
>>
Quit bitching
>>
>>17733605
Milf

Also just shun/exile/ move away
>>
>>17733605
Most elderly behave that way but aren't as physically close so it usually doesn't get that bad. The language barrier may make her feel isolated from people outside of family and fellow Korean speakers. That along with the sense of duty to family is why she does it. She's probably not trying to be a horrible person.

Look, this is going to end with hurt feelings all around no matter how this plays out but you can choose how and when it happens. You can either start accepting the food and lying about eating it all and get rid of it in some other way like composting it or donating or something. OR you can be honest and call the old lady out on her BS. She'll be hurt, maybe your husband feels hurt. But that will fade over time. You could move away. There is an actual formula called mother-in-law distance which is far enough away that they don't casually drop by but not so far that they have to stay the night if they do visit.

No matter what you chose you will need the support of your spouse to make anything stick otherwise it will force them to pick a side and guys make terrible choices where emotions are involved. But leaving your husband seems like an overreaction if this is the only problem.
>>
>>17733605
Just be aggressive to her. Reject the food. Put it in her mailbox or something after she leaves. If she gets upset, get into an argument. Win the argument. Repeat as necessary. It should be cathartic. Eventually she'll have a pavlovian reaction to your hostility and stop.

So what if she blames you for not being able to take care of the kids? What does her opinion matter? Honestly if you want to separate from your husband over your mother in law that's absurd.
>>
Take control of the situation and be dominant. You sound like a very kind and understanding person. That being said, people will try to take advantage of you and not listen to what you say until you take a stand. Be strict and right to the point when you tell her not to bring food over. It's quite frankly ridiculous she keeps bringing food over when you tell her to stop. And what goes on in your house stays in your house unless you voluntarily talk to her about family life. Once you become dominant and show your mother in law who's boss, you'll have control once again and it'll feel amazing.

I know stepping up so abruptly is hard to do, but if you don't want things to continue the way they are, now's the time to act.

Best of Luck
>>
What does your husband say about it all?
And when you talked to her, what did you say?
>>
Post feet?
>>
>49 year old mother on 4chan
Hmmmm really makes you think
>>
>>17733605
Move away. Seriously.
>>
>>17733605
Tits or gtfo
>>
>>17733605
She has been trained by her culture to feel that her only value is as a mother, and she "buys" your love with food.

You are never going to change her. So you either have to accept her food and advice, thank her sweetly, and then throw it away secretly. Or you can hurt her feelings by rejecting it. "Thank you for this. We have plenty of food ourselves, so I am going to take this right now down to the church/charity/foodbank/homeless shelter. Would you like to come along and see how much it is welcomed there?"
>>
>>17733664
Was about to point that out.

4chan started about a decade ago, so she was still in her late 30s if she started then. Weird.

Or like I said before, /adv/ is sort of scratchpad for aspiring writers.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.