[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I learn to think and write more fluidly? I'm a C

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: DSC01400.jpg (430KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01400.jpg
430KB, 1632x1224px
How do I learn to think and write more fluidly? I'm a C student in all of my English and elective courses because Im just too slow and disjointed.
>>
>>17732695
Reading. Also practice and more reading.
>>
you gotta put yourself in the right environment. you want to write and think more fluidly? become a mermaid. live in the ocean. everything about your life will revolve around fluids.
>>
You have to read more if you want to be a good writer. Are you taking creative writing classes or are these just scholarly writing courses?
>>
Try doing C++ instead of C.
>>
>>17732700
Scholarly
>>
>>17732780
Yeah, then reading more books will definitely help you. Expands your vocabulary, helps you think more critically, etc
>>
Hang out on chat rooms and such, with the following constraints:
1) No IRC-speak, emoji, txt-speak, or incomplete sentences. Use proper spelling and grammar, to the best of your ability.
2) Do not speak. Just write. You nay go over what you're writing mentally, but not read it aloud.

Just as real-time chat can teach you to type quickly, it can also teach you to think on your feat and write quickly, as long as you hold yourself to the rules of written English. It's a trial by fire, but nothing works faster.
>>
I don't know but 4chan help my typing speed. lol.
>>
File: gccoutput.png (273KB, 1904x838px) Image search: [Google]
gccoutput.png
273KB, 1904x838px
>>17732767
>implying C++ is cleaner than C
>>
Basically do what folks have already said. Just read. Read a lot. But this is key: read shit you enjoy, stuff that you actually want to read, not whatever you think you're "supposed" to read. Academic papers, "the classics," pulp sci-fi, Japanese light novels, Terry Pratchett, detective fiction, whatever you want, there's no wrong answer so long as you're reading. You're doing it right if it's fun and nearly effortless. If you're having to force yourself to do it, you're reading the wrong shit.

Write a lot too. On here, on your blog, in your diary, whatever. Before submitting a post on here, give it a quick once-over and ask yourself, "Did I write anything that just sounds awkward? Did I write anything that was unclear or confusing?" Don't agonize, though, a once-over is enough.

Do that and I can guarantee you'll improve pretty fast. That's a promise.
>>
Take it as you will, but I'm an americunt that hasn't been to school since the 4th grade.
I'm 25 now.

I learned decent English and mostly acceptable grammar from ROM hacking, actually. The community for the game that I mostly hacked didn't take you seriously unless you typed at least somewhat well.
Also having a major figure in my life who talked/typed proper English also helped a lot.

My handwriting still sucks though, since I've pretty much never used it.
>>
>>17732695
Professor writing here.

Writing is MEANT to be slow. That's how you keep it from being disjointed.

I'm sure you were taught about outlines in some composition course, and I'm sure you rejected it as pointless drudgery "because my mind doesn't work like that".

But that of course is the whole point. Nobody -well, hardly anybody - thinks in grammatical sentences and logical paragraphs. That's why you have to take much more time in planning out what you're going to write and how you're going to write it than you spend actually writing it.

You HAVE to get totally clear IN ADVANCE exactly what you want to say, and how you're going to say it. If you resist outlines, at least make lists. "This is the message I want to get across. To do that, the first thing I have to say is ___, and the second is ___, and the third . . . ."

Then go back and look at that list. Is it the clearest, most logical and most communicative way of saying what you want to say? Should you really put something else between #4 and #5? Should 3 really come before 2? Does 6 really belong in this at all?

All those things are time-consuming, but they are MUCH easier to do when working with an outline or list than when you're writing. And if you get it all right, the actual writing is just a matter of following the road map.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.