[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an atheist with Lutheran parents, and my wife is a non

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Holy shit.jpg (9KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
Holy shit.jpg
9KB, 201x251px
I'm an atheist with Lutheran parents, and my wife is a non practicing Catholic. We were not married within the Catholic church.

Both of our mothers want our new baby baptized, with my wife and her mom preferring it be a Catholic baptism.

Will we have any problems getting our kid baptized catholic? Also, I want my niece to be a godparent even though she is non catholic, and I don't think she's baptized. Is there anything we should lie to the preacher about in order to get it to happen? Do they do much background checking? What should we expect?
>>
You have a mental illness.

It's called believing in a religion.

I'd get that sorted before you do anything else.
>>
>>17732682
>I'm an atheist
>believing in a religion

Did you even read the post?
>>
Traditionally most churches will assume that you are already catholic. That said, call up the local church, ask them about a baptism, set up a date and go for it.
During the date at the mass, usually you will sit in the front, till the priest announces you, go up, light the candle, baptize the baby, say blessing, they will have you sign out a certificate, done, the end. Mass may be boring but it's only an hour in most places, and if your not autistic about being atheist, them most people won't care.
>>
>>17732748
So then they won't even ask?

Or will they ask and we just lie about it and it's fine?
>>
>>17732776
What's there to lie about? You're both baptized anyway right?

I was raised agnostic and desu I regret not being baptized, if only for the "insurance" lol. If I wanted to now, it'd be a whole process... meanwhile if the kid ends up atheist, no harm in having a little water splashed on him
>>
>>17732803
Would they not care that we're not practicing catholics? And that one of the godparents isn't baptized?
>>
>>17732776
In the places I have been at, if the parents say they are atheist the priest will ask if you would like to be baptized as well, you can refuse and say it's for the children, most places will accept it. The best thing to do is to call and ask.

As the other anon said, if your parents where religious in some way them more then likely you where baptized.
>>
>>17732820
I'm baptized, but that wasn't part of what I was asking about.
>>
>>17732671

What I don't understand is if you are an atheist why are letting the Catholic church get its claws into your kid?

Sounds to me like you're not an atheist at all, your Lutheran parents brainwashing has had some lasting effect and you harbour a belief you don't want to openly admit to.

/adv/ time - don't get your kid baptised. There really is no point in baptisms other than to perpetuate the idea that there is a god.
>>
If it doesn't bother your parents that your kid is baptized Catholic then just do it. You'll win some brownie points with your wife's family and just never step in a mass ever again if you don't want to.
>>
>>17732865
Because relationships require compromise. My wife and her mom would prefer catholics splash water in our kids face and I'm trying to figure out if we even can. We don't plan on raising our kid catholic. I'm know whether or not I'm atheist.

>>17732880
My parents are fine with it. What I'm trying to find out is if we can even get it done since we're not practicing catholics, not a part of the church, and one of the godparents isn't baptized.
>>
>>17732913
>Because relationships require compromise. My wife and her mom would prefer catholics splash water in our kids face and I'm trying to figure out if we even can. We don't plan on raising our kid catholic. I'm know whether or not I'm atheist.

Your wife is a non practising Catholic, you are allegedly an atheist, your mother is a full blown Lutheran, and your mother in law is a full blown Catholic. I have no doubt who really wants this baptism. This compromise you speak of should be between you & your wife, not you, your wife, your mother, and your mother in law. I can't see any compromise here, your mother and mother in law want the baptism and they're getting what they want. What's more is that you are prepared to lie to people's faces in order to deliver what THEY want. Well done, Anon. Well done.
>>
>>17732994
Dude, you're reading way to much into this that is not there. Thanks for your incorrect condescending thoughts that in no way answered any of my questions.
>>
>>17732682

It literally said in the first line that he was atheist. Get some reading comprehension.

>>17732748
>>17732803
>>17732820
>>17732880

I don't think you guys understand how much of a super secret clique Catholicism is. They have crazy archaic rules that can be pretty strict.

However it really depends on your local church and bishop. They actually can all follow the rules slightly different. Some places are super strict, won't baptize unless you're a parishioner of the church, may make you go to classes, may refuse to do it if they believe the kid won't be raised catholic, shit like that. Also a godparent has to be catholic. You can have one catholic godparent and one christian witness who isn't catholic, but they have to be baptized. I'm not sure how hard they check, though, you might be able to just lie. Sometimes they do it during mass, sometimes they do it as a separate ceremony. It really depends on the church. You may get a laid back one that you can just call up and get it done, or you might have a super old fashioned one that might not.

I'd just call or email your local church and find out. If all else fails, get in contact with you mother-in-law's or wife's old priest. He might be able to bend the rules if he knows them.

>>17732865
>>17732994
>op is asking about his options in order to appease in-laws and compromise with wife
>hurr durr yer not atheist enough!!!

You're the fucking epitome of autism. You legit sound like the neckbeard stereotype people throw out when they make fun of atheists.
>>
>>17733370
Thanks, that actually helped address my questions.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.