[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so /adv/, i have a situation i need help with One of my best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: pixie dream girl.jpg (85KB, 640x697px) Image search: [Google]
pixie dream girl.jpg
85KB, 640x697px
so /adv/, i have a situation i need help with

One of my best friends/room mates has recently been asked to move in with her boy friend.

This is cool and all, and on one level i'm really happy for her, but i also honestly think her boyfriend is not even close to ready for that and that this will likely end up with her miserable and broke and I would hate to see her like that.

It's not that he's a bad person or abusive, but they've barely known each other a year and only been dating for less than 6 months, they only hang out a few times a week, he never wants to do the things she likes to do (art shows, concerts, day trips/hiking) and has made no effort to meet and hang with her friends. He mostly cares about video games, and I hate to be a dick, but he frankly just doesn't have the taste for art and music that she and our other friends do. He doesn't have a car, washes dished at a ramen shop, has no plans to go to school or work on his career.
I sincerely think she likes him because he's nice, cute, and they have good sex the 2-3 times a week they see eachother. She's had a bunch of shittier partners, and she's never even had a fight with her current partner. She's always been a romantic and an idealist and she's always tried to make these so-so relationships into something way more than they merit.

I feel like she's settling.
I know this is like none of my fucking business, but i really want to talk to her about it because i don't think she knows what she's getting into and i think she's going to set herself back quite a bit if she does this.

Should I say something or shut my fucking mouth. If i do say something, what should it be?
>>
>I know this is like none of my fucking business
This.

She is old enough to make her own decisions.

Some people need to fail to learn.
>>
don't say anything. is not your business. really.
>>
Shut your fucking mouth, your friends are not possessions and your post reeks of jealousy.
>>
>>17732172

if i thought my friends were possessions i wouldn't be asking y'all for advice
>>
it's not that i don't want her to move, or to live with a partner and be happy

i just sincerely think she's got clouded judgment because of how easy things are now.

things change when you go from hanging out and hooking up 2-3 times a week to actually having to create a full life together
>>
Sorry OP, you got to let her go live her life. The way you've worded it, you sound condenscending, as if you know better than her.
>>
>>17732210

I could see that. I'm gonna talk to her about it, but I'm gonna keep a lot of these details out of it
>>
>>17732178
I think that anon was being a bit harsh. However, put yourself in your friend's shoes. You'd basically be telling her that you don't like her boyfriend, that he is a loser. Let's be honest here: that's right at the heart of what you're saying here. Tbh he sounds like a loser too.

But how is that gonna make her feel? You'd be making her pick between you and her boyfriend. And you'd be implying that she doesn't have good judgment here. Maybe if she is a super-rational person (rare) she will understand and re-evaluate the move. Maybe she will just resent you for trying to get between her and her bf. Who knows.

If you do decide to broach the topic with her, try to be delicate about it.

This >>17732169 anon is basically right, she is a big girl, she can make the decision and watch it go sideways or even watch it go well.
>>
>>17732187
be that as it may, the only thing that sharing your thoughts on the subject would accomplish is an adverse reaction from her--"fuck you, you don't know my relationship, we're ~in loooove~" etc etc.

even if you're 100% right, people have to come to these conclusions on their own, it's the only way it sticks
>>
>>17732164

There are asymmetrical marriages that work really fine. She knows she is far better than him, and he knows he doesn't deserve her.

Say nothing.
>>
>>17732222
Then you for sure come off as a bitch bc the only way to do so would be to say "people need to think about these things" which means you think she has t which means you are telling her the same shit everyone said not to but in a even more condescending way then you told the thread
>>
>>17732164
You're an idiot for several reasons, the first being that you think you have some sort of special insight into their relationship, the second that you're in a position of moral or intellectual superiority, and third that your opinion is either relevant to her or desired.
My advice to you is to learn some social awareness
>>
>>17732242
it's all stuff she's told me about him, that's what "insight" i have.

she's always wanted this though and i seriously think she's selling herself short

like just dating this guy and having a good time is great, but tying herself down to him for a year seems like a recipe for disaster
>>
>>17732225

thank you, this is what i needed to hear.

i'm gonna talk to her, but i'm gonna frame it in a way that just spells out how difficult this can be and basically that if she's gonna do it, she should have a contingency plan in case it falls apart.
>>
anybody else?
>>
>>17733161
i've learned that giving relationship advice to someone else is a pretty useless endeavor. You should butt out like the others suggested. Giving her a small warning about how hard it can be without mentioning her boyfriend is probably the most you can do though I would suggest even telling her about that desu. It seems you have your heart set on telling her something though so whatever.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.