[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just received my first citation for speeding. The speed limit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

I just received my first citation for speeding. The speed limit was 35 MPH and, allegedly, I was going 56 MPH.

I'm home now and I'm reading the back of the citation. It says I can request a "trial by written declaration". I have severe anxiety, so this would be ideal for me.

Can I go now and request it? Will it be ready? I want to give them as little time as possible to prepare. I'll go to court tomorrow if I can.

What should I do?
>>
I just want to add that I can write more effectively than I can speak. If I go to a trial in person, I'll write up something to say then forget everything on the spot. Again, anxiety.
>>
>>17732091
Write "I dindu nuffin, I'm a good boy"

It might work
>>
Its the request that should be a written declaration. Your trial will be a normal one.

Retard.
>>
>What should I do?
The easiest thing to do is pay the fine and, if you want, go to driving school to prevent the points on your license.

>>17732121
This guy is right, albeit blunt.

- You declare that you contest the ticket and deliver/send the letter to the court.
- The court receives the letter and schedules a court date when available (usually several weeks or months in the future)
- You go to court with evidence or appeal to the judge with sympathy and ask for a reduced fine and/or points.
>>
Maybe I am retarded and I'm interpreting this wrong.
>>
>>17732217
I would only choose "b" if I could prove, beyond any doubt, that I was innocent.

You are better off pleading your case in person.
And yes, I realize that you have anxiety.
>>
Consider this please:

On the citation, the officer claims that he took my speed at 56 MPH about a mile down the road which would put me in a 35 MPH zone, which is what is written on the ticket. The police officer was not behind me until I hit the end of the stretch of road as I was approaching an intersection that is a four-way intersection and did not initiate the stop until I had already almost come to a stop. The stretch of road between this intersection and the previous one has a 45 MPH limit.
>>
>>17732258
Do what you want. You obviously aren't going to listen to our advice.

How the hell are we supposed to know what a judge will say regardless if written down or verbally explained.
>>
I'm just asking if I have a chance. I know that I was over the limit but if I let it go that he had me at 56 in a 35 then I'm over 15 MPH, and in California, that's automatically $250. If I can prove I was in a 45, that only puts me 11 MPH over the limit.

I appreciate you guys helping me. I'm trying to be as clear as possible
>>
>>17732091
With no hard evidence or witnesses you will lose and its a waste of time and money. They are going to side with the officer over you because otherwise everyone would lie in court.
>>
My girlfriend was with me. She pointed out that I was in a 45 MPH zone
>>
>>17732293
You are very unlikely to reduced ticket or the charges dropped because it will boil down to a "he said she said" situation, except that the officer has the speed written down, and you signed the ticket acknowledging that you were going at that speed.

It's possible you may get the ticket reduced or to get it paid off in payments but very unlikely. Just fyi because I've tried the same thing
>>
Thank you all for your input.

It seems that my best option is to go with the written declaration. If I lose, I can request a new trial which will be in person. Basically, I have two chances of winning/losing.
>>
>>17732378
I've also heard that it's common for the officer to not show up to the trial, in which case the ticket can oftentimes be thrown out.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.