[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't I read? I mean I keep trying to read books but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Why can't I read?
I mean I keep trying to read books but it seems like I skip whole chunks of words I get too flustered and end up going from line to line without reading what's in between
But even when I try to control myself and just look at every single word and read it all I still can't really read it. I read it but I don't understand it or don't remember it even though I JUST read it
What's wrong with me?
>>
sounds like you aren't really interested in what you're reading and your mind wanders around. I had that issue when I was trying to study the shittier subjects in college. Maybe there's a little ADD mixed with that too.

What are you trying to read?
>>
>>17730158
How old are you?
>>
>>17730163
Most things I try to read have been doing that to me
Currently I am trying to get myself to read fiction so I downloaded under the skin (because I liked the movie kinda) and I'm making no progress. I was trying the Hannibal books previously and although I made it through the Dolarhyde one, I felt like I rushed through the last half of it. I started the one that came after that and I was making no progress so I gave up. Then since I like stories where horrible fucked up things happen to unsuspecting people I downloaded on my phone some other detective book about a serial killer and I keep having it over.
So those are the most recent but non-fiction books on things that interest me have been really confusing too

>>17730171
Almost 23
>>
>>17730184
..maybe there's a little more than a little ADD involved. Did/do you have problems studying and concentrating in school?
>>
>>17730184
>I keep having it over.

Having to start it over I mean
Fucking hell I skip words when writing too
There's probably more in what I wrote that's wrong but I haven't noticed yet
>>
>>17730196
Nope I was great at school
And read basically a (small, like 80 pages) book a day back then
I stopped a bit before high school
>>
>>17730201
Well then maybe reading is just not your thing anymore. What you listed there sounds boring as shit to me though, maybe you just looked into boring books for niche audiences. Try some high fantasy. Stormlight Archives or Wheel of Time or something. Also you could try listening to their audiobooks instead. Most people have a harder time concentrating on the audio, but some prefer listening to reading. Maybe it will work better for you.

If that doesn't do the trick either find some other entertainment sources, not everybody has to be a reader.
>>
>>17730212
I actually really loathe high fantasy haha if things gets too big beautiful and glorious I lose interest
Which is why I try to stick to the more realistic-ish stuff
And the Hannibal book I did manage to finish I enjoyed
>>
>>17730158
If you normally don't read books, it'll be very hard to get into them. Try to read easier books first then gradually move on to more difficult books.
>>
>>17730184
>The Dolarhyde one
Did you not remember that was Red Dragon?

Honestly asking, not poking fun or meaning to be offensive. Just trying to understand the extent of your situation. Typically individual books one enjoys they remember the title. If you did remember the title no biggie, just wanted to make sure.
>>
>>17730439
>Did you not remember that was Red Dragon?

Oh I actually didn't
I remembered it by the character's name
>>
>>17730158
The problem could be anything from physical (Do you need glasses?) to mental (dyslexia?) to nerves (ADD?) to distraction (lack of quiet place to let you focus) to just not finding anything interesting to read.

Any of the first three would probably show themselves in other areas (for example, ADD might keep you from focusing on conversations). If they don't, then the answer is likely one of the last two.
>>
>>17731260
I do wear glasses already
And I usually try to read during lunch or before bed and I'm alone and quiet during both these times

Honestly ADD would make the most sense except from what I see it starts during childhood and I had none of this going on when I was a kid
I was good at studying and not hyperactive at all I was a little angel. I wouldn't shut up sometimes but still a very calm kid
>>
>>17731604
I think it's definitely the lack of interest of the content you are reading.

Did you have any trouble reading the responses in this thread?
>>
>>17731609
Not really
Everything is short and to the point after all
>>
>>17731623
Then I suggest you focus on lighter reading and work your way up to the dense stuff. Stuff like Charles Dickens and Tolkien just ramble on and on and is very easy to lose interest halfway through a page long paragraph.

Stuff like news articles, or 4chan are easy to read because they don't ramble nearly as much and things are broken up into smaller paragraphs.

Try to find a happy medium. Idk wtf you were reading before but it sounded boring and dense af. Maybe head over to /lit/ for some good light reading suggestions.
>>
>>17731715
Ops super late sorry
You know I can't read news articles either
But that one I'm entirely sure it's from lack of interest
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.