[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a lot of self-improvement to do. But one thing that irks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: gamer-103010325-1024x723.jpg (172KB, 1024x723px) Image search: [Google]
gamer-103010325-1024x723.jpg
172KB, 1024x723px
I got a lot of self-improvement to do. But one thing that irks me is the usual suggestion to quit gaming. For example, a very typical thing that people say is that they deleted LoL.

I've been into competitive online games since CS1.6, and it's probably been what I've spent 70% of my free time on ever since, be it playing, reading or watching tournaments/streamers. It's really ingrained in my life and it's hard to leave it.

And in fact, I don't really want to leave it. I know I have to focus on my studies, but I don't want to sacrifice a few games a day, or working towards my rank goal...

Any tips, is gaming holding me back? Should I quit it for good?
>>
>>17729458
Been there, done that with WoW (left around five years ago now)

Yeah, it was hard to leave, and yeah I truly miss the buzz I got from playing it (apparently it's gone a bit shit now though)... But looking back, I'm glad I left

Almost immediately I started doing things that have left far better memories (eg. driving to the middle of the countryside and setting up a few tents, getting a campfire going, and having a few beers with my mates at a moment's notice)

Just replace it with a game that's fun, but one you don't really benefit much from playing too much... Hearthstone being a good example for me
>>
>>17729458
Limit useage of games to one or two times a day and more if you finish your work/studying. Reward yourself for finishing your work. No need to quit games if your life isn't suffering
>>
>>17729480
>Just replace it with a game that's fun, but one you don't really benefit much from playing too much... Hearthstone being a good example for me

lol I was into Hearthstone and desu that game was way more toxic to me. For whatever reason in my city there was local tournaments every few weeks and I took that way too seriously. I placed decently but I was the outcast of the local community (I'm not a weirdo, it's just that the core of the community were like best buddies even before the game came out and I couldn't blend in well with them). I took it so seriously I remember being extremely sad for doing bad at tournaments, and it was also a moneysink. Never again.

I've been thinking about playing single-player games for highscoring like shmups or even speedrunning something, but idk doesn't give me the same buzz.

>>17729491
Yeah I need to slot my time better. But even then when I'm in a class that is really boring, I wander off thinking about the game and ways to practice and improve at it.

While I should be worrying about improving my general life, I spend more time and energy trying to improve in a game lol. Maybe I'm actually addicted.
>>
I'm in the same boat as you kinda, OP. I'm probably a few years older (28) but playing video games competitively was huge for me, so much that it was what I wanted to do for a living.

I played halo at MLGs and was even good enough to play on main stage in front of huge numbers of people at the venue and even more watching via stream. So I know exactly what you're talking about with that "rush" you get. There's nothing quite like it to be honest.

With the changing of h2 to h3, I guess I got lucky because even though I was arguably better at halo3, the game was boring to me and I dreaded playing it. That was the same time I started my first year of college, so I pretty much quit vidya for a full first year, then came back once I got my routine figured out, and boosted people's accounts for money that actually helped with tuition.

I'm not saying you have to give up forever, but it's not a bad idea to take a break for a few months and reevaluate whether you want to go back to playing. A lot of people that do will probably quit for good because they will fill that dopamine release with some other feel-good thing that's probably better for you than vidya lol. Or maybe you'll come back to it like I did, refreshed with actual motivation. If it makes you feel any better, I've improved immensely since returning to vidya (which I've moved on to league now). I don't have as much time to play a bunch since I'm a professional wageslave, but the quality of practicing my craft has gone way up, so I've been improving at a much faster rate than before.

If you have any other questions I'll be around awhile but I'm at work so I may not respond right away. Hope my story helped
>>
>>17729664
I'm 21, and never made it apart from winning some hearthstone stuff locally but I've always fantasized about making it for a living.

I know nothing about Halo other than it was MLG's thing back in the day, but your story is pretty cool. At least it must've been a nice experience. Boosting people also seems interesting to me, but it'll probably be too much of a chore.

The thing is, apart from hoping that there'll be a new game which I enjoy and will be able to "make it" in (I was hoping Overwatch could be it, but fuck, I don't enjoy it at all) I'm just playing because I find it satisfying to improve... the problem is that I can't take self-improvement as seriously in my real life lol.

Thanks for your story though. Helps to read that it's not so mandatory to quit it all for good.
>>
>>17729458
I switched from counter strike and league to smash

10/10 I get a rush from that game like no other

Made quite a few friends from it and we socialize and practice often

Hardly any toxic players in the community

Never looked back once
>>
>>17729501
sounds like you've got an addictive personality. sounds like you should cut the shit that you get addicted to out of your life, and work on not getting so addicted.
>>
videogames? you dumbfuck. knock it off
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.