[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tl;dr my boss is trying to get me fired at work and I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

tl;dr my boss is trying to get me fired at work and I don't know why

2 years ago, the civil engineering office I work for was acquired by a big international conglomerate. About a year ago, I started my career as a new civil engineer with said office. 6 months ago, the golden handcuffs came off and about 50% of the experienced people left. I don't know the official reason for them leaving, but I imagine that losing their 50% annual bonus was a big reason. The people leaving included my boss, his boss, and his assistant, so I was transferred under a new boss in a whole different department. I mostly did small random jobs for other bosses for about 4 months (so we're now at 2 months ago) when he assigns me a big but simple project. I spent about 2 weeks working on it, completely unaware that he was expecting me to get it done in 1 week. I wasn't wasting my time on it, and I honestly believe I was doing the best I could with the tools I had. One of my co-workers dropped a hint that he wanted me to get the project done sooner, but otherwise I didn't really have a clue about the severity of my fuckup. So a month after turning in the project (now we're 1 month in the past) he finally spells out the problem for me during my annual review. Even though I've only been under him for about 6 months, he's in charge of delivering it since my old boss left. Basically he spent an hour giving me a very, very politically correct speech about how I'm an idiot who doesn't understand that we charge an hourly rate for our services. The word "training" wasn't mentioned at all, but "are you really happy here?" was asked several times. He said he wanted to revisit this issue if my work ethic didn't improve in the next few months. Apparently that translated into 3 weeks, because just last Friday he had me sign a "improvement program" letter that spells out my fuckup and what I can do to improve my work ethic (basically, keep doing my job).
>>
>>17728373
Sounds like he needs a scapegoat.
>>
This Improvement Program letter needed to be signed by both of us, was cc'd to our Human Resources department, and said that the issues would be revisited in 45 days where non-compliance could result in punishments including termination. This sounds an awful lot like I'm being placed on probation but my boss said that this ISN'T a probation. A reasonable boss would've given me 1) a verbal warning, 2) then a written warning, 3) then probation and a notice to HR. I feel like I was blindsided by my new boss on my first and only real fuckup under him, which makes me think he's making motions to get me fired ASAP. What do you guys think?
>>
Sorry about the wall of text. Let me try to greentext this.

>12 months ago: Hired as a brand new civil engineer.
>6 months ago: Boss leaves and I'm placed with a new boss in a different department.
>2 months ago: I took way longer on a project than my boss anticipated. He doesn't say anything directly to me at this time.
>1 month ago: Boss does my annual review, where he tears me up about the previous project
>1 week ago: HR was notified and I was placed on a faux probation
>Am I going to be fired?
>>
Fuckin talk to your HR department, whining and bitching here isn't going to keep your job safe. You tell HR that you were never 'retrained' to meet new quotas that were never explained, that you were apparently just had to assume that there were new turnaround times to be met, and that you feel you are being reprimanded unfairly. If you have a union, talk to them too so they have it down on paper.

If you put no effort to document your concerns, then EVERYONE will assume that you are at fault and that you are taking it up the ass. Stop going on 4chan, and fuckin put an effort to keep your job and stick a finger up your bosses ass for being an asshole.
>>
>>17728381
Thanks, I agree. But then why not simply verbally blame me for the fuckup instead of trying to elevate the problem as far as he can?

>>17728396
Thank you, I appreciate you giving me the sanity to reach out to HR, although I'm positive that HR's role in a company is to help limit liability rather than actually help employees. Unfortunately, we're not unionized. It's definitely a smart decision to keep everything on paper and spread my own version of events, which is why I tried to collect my thoughts on 4chan.
>>
>>17728408
Edit your initial post and basically email that off.
You weren't in the wrong; if the boss gives you shitty instructions it's his fault. At any point he could have given you a deadline, he screwed up.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.