[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started a job at a warehouse that pays very well considering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1436553675418.gif (472KB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
1436553675418.gif
472KB, 400x226px
I just started a job at a warehouse that pays very well considering it requires no experience ($13/hr not including overtime). The benefits are also fantastic. There is really no reason to dislike this job.

However, it's taken less than a week for this job to make me want to kill myself. Now, I was already in a pretty fragile mental state, so I don't entirely blame the job or anything. But I simply cannot perform this job; the physical toll is far too high, and obviously my mental state was not in the right place to endure the physical hardship while I got used to it.

My question is: What the fuck do I do? I can't possibly continue doing this; I had to leave almost right away today because I literally couldn't stand up. I don't know what I can do with my life beyond this. I'm ready to kill myself, but I'm too scared. Should I volunteer overseas for a while or something? Should I move to some shithole town that still gets internet and work for pennies but be able to afford a place? I can't get a minimum wage job not because I'm above it, but because I simply can't afford to be alive if I do.

I'm completely lost, at the end of my rope. No one in my life knows how to help me, and I don't see why they should, either. What can I do, /adv/? I think I'm at a crossroads and I can't make the decision for myself anymore.
>>
If this job drains you like this, there is no need to stick to it (unless you really need a good pay right now). You might find a better one later, so take some time to recover mentally. Volunteering would be a good experience if you find something you like.
>>
As a doughy piece of shit, I also hated my first week of a physical job. Being a warehouse stocker is entirely something else, though. There's no shortage of untrained felons willing to kill themselves for $13/hour, so you're probably truly overworked. Get outta there before you earn yourself a permanent prescription for pain medication.
>>
File: 1478065884669.jpg (8KB, 150x225px) Image search: [Google]
1478065884669.jpg
8KB, 150x225px
Find job openings in the newspaper
>>
>>17727601
>What the fuck do I do?
Keep doing it for a few more weeks and you'll be fine. That's what exercise do.
>>
>>17727634
Where should I be looking, though? I have an immense desire to help people and (assuming I quit this job) a lot of time.

Further, I am most concerned about being kicked out of my father's house. I'm 25, and had many jobs but still haven't managed to move out. He has been extremely generous and supportive, but I am stretching the limits of his patience beyond what is reasonable. What can I do about shelter?
>>
>>17727665
You might be right (most people tell me that), but it doesn't help me get there. I literally cannot do this job at the moment.
>>
>>17727674

It's officially the holiday season. You should have an easy enough time getting a shitty sales job. Or with your warehouse background, a stocking job (that's less physical). If you're concerned about moving out ASAP, consider pinging your friends if you can crash on their couch. Make some new gullible friends if you have to.
>>
>>17727634
I agree. Self care is very important.
This said, I hear you saying this, OP:
1) You're having suicidal ideation. If you're in the US, you can call the National Suicide Hotline. Put their number- or a similar service's-on an index card in your wallet, for when you need it. Decide on a place to pull over in the car if you decide you can't make it home. Privacy will help you feel less on -edge during the call. They also offer online chat on their website.
Universities also offer low-cost counseling to the general public (yep!) and may be able to offer services for free- they use sessions' audio for training purposes but remove personal info.

2) It sounds like you have some family or acquaintances. Perhaps they don't know how to help you directly, but can you still seek out some support from them? Or find a support group in town. That positive interaction and shared experience can do wonders. I've even told clients just to walk in the park and politely say hello to some of the other walkers as you pass them by.
3) You may benefit from a change or from approaching your life in a different way (cognitive-behavioral therapy can help with this and you can find workbooks on it if you like, though a therapist is better). Volunteering can help you find some meaning or support, and can help you to explore career options as well, but I wonder why you're considering overseas when there are opportunities nearby. It sounds like you're looking for some stability and putting yourself in a new environment with no social support may be difficult just now. Perhaps, though, this is something to work toward for the future- no harm in a goal and, in fact, I encourage it wholeheartedly.
4) Job-wise, seek out an occupational therapist or counselor. You can find them at many social service organizations like Goodwill or Salvation Army and they can help to pinpoint what occupations may suit you best at the moment and help to prep you for them.
>>
>>17727678
>Less than a week
Am I missing something here? Sounds like youve barely had a rest day. Which is typically needed if you've never moved heavy things for days at a time.

There aren't jobs like this where I am and the closest thing is almost 20 miles away. And my car makes it not worth it.

Nigga count your stars a lot of people would stab folk to get an easy job like that. And sure its physical but it's still easy as shit
>>
>>17727690
I've had about four days for rest, the job works odd days. i also drive over an hour each day to get there (the plan was to move down there next month)
>>
>>17727683
1) I've never called them, but I was considering it tonight. I'm curious as to how it actually helps? That's not meant to be snide, I genuinely just don't know.

2) I've tried. They are empathetic, but have no idea how to truly help. I'm sure I am at least partly to blame.

3) I already have a therapist, actually - I've had three. I have only gotten worse since seeing them (not related as far as I can tell)

4) I did that already. They had no idea despite a month of sessions. "IT maybe?" I do not relish the idea of tier 1 IT.
>>
>>17727690
Also, I should have said: I'm well aware of my squandered opportunities. Every time I am presented with a path, it seems all I can do is stumble down it. I took this job away from someone else and it disgusts me.
>>
>>17727703
I'm dog tired so I apologize for ending the conversation here, but I do suggest that if you're having lingering thoughts, call them. The worst that could happen is what, that you have a conversation with someone about your problems? We're doing that now ;)
We're social creatures, OP, even if we find being social difficult. Talking helps. Doesn't solve everything, but helps us to think things out.
2) It could be as simple as just spending some time with them. Support is support; you can get the emotional support from a professional that feels more prepared to approach that side of things, at least for now.
3) Honestly, that's expected: we all come up with our own "compromised solutions" (coping mechanisms). Confronting our problems means lowering these gates a bit and the water flows in. It can be intense. In general, I encourage folks to stick with therapists for about three or four sessions at least though, and for them to try and establish some common ground, sort of like getting to know anyone else new.
4) Then consider what you might be able to do in the meantime. Something relatively simple, to reset. No harm in a little welfare in the meantime to bolster things: THIS is what welfare is there for. Support during recovery. Working a simpler, lower-paying job for a bit may help quite a bit, give you time and space to work.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.