[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone offer advice on my situation? TL;DR before wall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: sucks.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
sucks.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
Can someone offer advice on my situation?

TL;DR before wall of text: Crippled, no life, no money, no experience, no qualifications of any kind, can't get an interview for even the most menial entry level jobs I apply for, what can I do?

I am a crippled (in a wheelchair) 25 year old, I have no friends (nor have I for like 15 years), no network, I have no marketable skills, no work experience, no references, no transportation, no nothing but a useless college degree.

I have no money, I can't get a job anywhere, I get disability but its only $400 a month and 100% of it instantly goes into my student loans, so I have literally no money at all.

My state's disability employment stuff only helps disabled people by giving them a ride to interviews and helping them create a resume and stuff like that, they don't actually line you up with a job. I joined a federal government thing for lining up disabled people with a job when I was in college, I got a call one day offering a job and I expressed interest in it. In doing that they marked me as having taken the job and took me out of the program, I can't get back in. That job fell through before it even began because it was in another city and I had no money to move there.

But yeah. I just go down job boards applying to every entry level position listed, but like I said, no experience, no qualifications. I have never even been offered a single interview anywhere. I can't work at like restaurants and stuff like that because I am in a wheelchair.

I am not smart enough to teach myself to program or draw or something like that, so freelance stuff online isn't an option for me.

Is there anything I can do? I live with my parents and they provide for me, but they don't like me and want me gone, I don't blame them. But I don't know how I can change my circumstances.

I just want to get a minimum wage job and live comfortably until I die at the ripe old age of like 35.

Thanks
>>
I think you're looking at your situation through a very negative lens.

>I am not smart enough to teach myself to program or draw or something like that, so freelance stuff online isn't an option for me.

Sorry but you have all the resources you need to learn how to do these things and you can do it. There's nothing 'inherent' in an artist or a coder that makes them any better than you. Drawing is just putting lines on paper, coding is just writing piece by piece of code.

Honestly, before you try and change anything externally, I think you need to look at yourself and evaluate how you feel about yourself. You've given us a massive list of things you can't do, what does that say about how you view yourself? I mean seriously, how can anyone help you here?

I get you have your own shit but you have to frame it more positively and look where there are options. I don't mean be all flowery and shit, but simply just find a few ways to improve your situation and take it one step at a time. Learn coding for 1 hour a day and you'll have significant progress in a year.

Value yourself more man, you can do a lot of shit.
>>
>>17726968
That's just it, there are no positives.

I am a disfigured, crippled, person. So I am already a displeasure to look at from the get go.

I have lackluster communication skills because I spent the last 15 years of my life excluded from everything by my peers, apart from occasionally being bullied.

I can type? I can speak English? I can read and write well? That is about the extent of my qualifications and all are irrelevant. Not that it matters as my empty resume probably goes straight to the trash when I apply for anything and it gets sorted by their application software.

I am not looking to make it big in life, I just want to subsist.
>>
>>17726956
What did you get a degree with? You have student loans so you spent that money on something.

You are smart enough to teach yourself.
Right now, you're probably inundated with your parents' point of view.
"Oh poor baby, we need to take care of you"

Fuck that.
You're a god damned adult. Do you think that successful people show up to interviews and go "Look my legs work, gib job".
No.
The biggest obstacle you have is your outlook.

Life is total bullshit but your biggest handicap isn't your nonfunctioning legs, it's that you think it matters.
>>
>>17726995
>Life is total bullshit but your biggest handicap isn't your nonfunctioning legs, it's that you think it matters.
I would go one step further.

OP: Your real disability is your mindset, not your legs or your face. Hell, there are MANY disabled people who fucking EXCEL at whatever they do.

You think you aren't intelligent, but what >>17726968 said has a great deal of truth. I, for example, am not a good coder because of some inherent talent; I had to actually train myself and fail several times until I hit it. The first system I created for people, although functional, has a lot of bad things because I was inexperienced, and only time and practice gave to me the skills needed to make it more robust.

Learn one skill. Any skill. Whatever you fancy. I don't care if it's something that requires thinking a lot. Just something that you have to work for. And do it. Teach yourself. Fail, learn from your mistakes, and repeat. Fail a lot. Fail always. Fail so much until you get it right. And once you get it right, you will look back and feel fucking proud of how much you've grown.

Watch "The Boy and the Beast", if you want to understand what I am talking about.
>>
>>17726988

>That's just it, there are no positives.

Mate, what I was trying to say is that- this is your decision. If you want to sit there and say there are no positives, then what the fuck can anyone else do? As far as I'm concerned, you have plenty of positives and advantages.

All you're doing is choosing to think that your life is fucked, and coming up with reasons why that's true. Everything is perspective, stop building this story about how you're fucked and need a magic bullet to solve all your problems.

Again, you need to work on small improvements over a long period of time, you can't fix it all right now and even if you could, it wouldn't last. Just be more fucking optimistic man, don't shoot yourself before you've even started.
>>
>>17726995
History and Political Science. I wanted to go to law school, but no extra-curricular stuff, no faculty friends for recommendations, etc., and that dream fell through... I had good grades though and graduated with honors.

And no I don't think successful people get jobs simply because they have legs, friend... They get jobs because they have a full life as a social butterfly and actually function in society.

I didn't have that luxury. The few social interactions I had growing up from 10 to 18 were kids ridiculing me, otherwise everyone ignored me. You don't really develop a positive outlook and a go-get-em attitude in such an environment and it has only gotten worse since then.
>>
>>17727014
Yeah, I got laughed at too because I had acne.
I was a virgin until 28 for fuck's sake.

It sucked.
I'm sure you know how.

You got an academic degree. You have a choice to go full academic and go PhD and prof shit.
Or get a small teacher degree and become a teacher.

There are shitty highschools all over America.
Go get a cheap teaching degree.

Then go out to bumfuck no where and fail some assholes who used to bully you

And the social thing, that changes inside.
Alcohol helps me.
>>
>>17726988
Disclaimer: This and the TL;DR are the only things I read.

Have you considered being an editor, peer reviewer, or transcript writer for articles, videos, movies, speeches, essays, books, stories, etc.?
Start doing that for fun, get better at it, gain some connections, and make some side cash with it. It'll either lead to a career or some side gigs every now and then. There are sites for people who do such things, btw. Fiverr.com is one.

Also, there are plenty of podcasters on YouTube who don't post transcripts for all the shit they talk about. They should, but they don't. The hard of hearing and deaf would appreciate having them available. I've been wanting to start doing this for TheHoneyBadgers, Karen Straughan, Diana Davidson (FemenismLOL), and DoubleToasted, but I've got shit to do.

Good luck with your problems, though. The first step is accepting them.
>>
>>17726988
Also!
You can teach English as a secondary language after taking lessons. There's a site for that too.

Get creative, know your strengths, know your weaknesses, and AskReddit.
>>
>>17726988
Teach English online. Go through English First, their standards are really low.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.