[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get a service dog because I am a recovering agorphobic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Adelle1-589x600.jpg (39KB, 589x600px) Image search: [Google]
Adelle1-589x600.jpg
39KB, 589x600px
I want to get a service dog because I am a recovering agorphobic with a serve panic disorder. My husband does not want it stating that the dog would only bound with me but he does not get the point of the dog to help me be able to gain more independence.

I have talked to him about it but he is still against it. My doctor agrees that I do need a service dog. I am not sure this is causing distance in our relationship and this is the first time I have been hopeful about something.
>>
Why dont you get two dogs
>>
>>17722817
He already has a dog. We can not train his because he is too protective in public.
>>
I don't understand the big deal. What does it matter that your husband is skeptical if you have faith in it? I mean, if he worries about costs/time investment etc that combination would make sense, but simply not agreeing on your own personal treatment because he doesn't think it'll work?? That's not his place.

On top of that it surprises me that a dog owner would not realize that dogs are the perfect ice breaker, attract a friendly kind of attention and force you to get out of the house.

Dig deeper. I feel like he's not telling you all about his objections.
>>
>>17722811
Your husband displays a clear lack of regard for your mental wellbeing and seems very selfish/controlling. Why doesnt he want you to have a service dog? Does he not want you to get better? Part of your recovery would be standing your ground against your husband and reclaiming something he has clearly taken from you, i.e. your freedom and ability to decide things for yourself.
>>
>>17722827
His big worry is the dog will noy play with him but I already told him the dog will have a job to do so that I can become healthier and there are times he can play. Costs are not an issue and either is care of the dog because I work remotely.
>>
>>17722811
Sounds like your husband wants total control over you.
>>
>>17722832
...so his feelings would be so hurt by a (second) dog in the house who disregards him that it takes priority over it benefiting your mental health? I mean he might not see the point but your doctor does...
>>
>>17722836
I tried showing him videos of service dogs doing tasks that I would have for mine and he would not watch it. I am really not sure what to do. I can not go to the grocery store without my parents or him because I am too afraid of having a panic attack by myself. I am not sure how to get through to him. He was not like this for the four years we dated but since getting married he refuses to talk to me when something bothers me so I end up crying and he does nothing.
>>
>>17722842
Let me give it to you straight. Based on what you say, the best case scenario is that he's rather selfish, cannot bother to even fake interest in something that a professional told you could improve your crippling condition, and sees you as someone only suited to make his life easier and better. Forget about "in sickness and health".

Worst case scenario: he enjoys the level of control he has over you as you are isolated and depend on him. He does not want you to get better.
>>
>>17722832

So basically, your husband is an idiot.
>>
I dealt with pretty severe anxiety for a couple of years and the whole service dog thing just didn't make sense to me.

For me, a service dog would just make me feel more self-conscious and would attract more attention to me rather than less.

I dunno. I don't want to ruin something that could help you or anything like that. It just seems to me like a service dog would make it worse.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.