[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /adv/, im not really good at social settings unless its people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 00169660.0001.png (22KB, 106x125px) Image search: [Google]
00169660.0001.png
22KB, 106x125px
hey /adv/, im not really good at social settings unless its people ive known and can be myself when around them and i realized that i quickly get uncomfortable with anyone else. it might be an inferiority complex but I might have some kind of phobia too of making people uncomfortable or something.

Like i was at my grandparents, my parents stayed downstairs with my aunt for a little bit to check on something and i went upstairs with my little brother who is like the complete opposite of me so i wasnt completely hopeless. My grandparents speak spanish and only my grandmother can speak a few sentences of english, so i cant have any real communication.

My uncle was there and i said hello to everyone but felt kind of unhappy being there, me and my brother knew it was kind of awkward but he just kind of flowed with it. I tried to do the same but when i was asked from my uncle about how's college i got even more upset and just answered with the quickest answers. I also had in mind to not completely do horribly infront of my brother.

My parents finally got upstairs while my brother was talking to show new english words to my grandmother. Everyone except me, my brother, and my grandparents went to the kitchen, and when my bro got up i knew i wouldnt last so i got up too. I went to the bathroom for a bit to try to relax. And i noticed my grandfather has been staring at me, probably noticing me acting strange.

cont.
>>
>>17718213
cont.

After that my bro put on tv watching youtube, and i standed near the kitchen doorway. My grandfathr said in spanish to sit down next to him on the couch, and i felt iffy about it but did it out of respect. Like how could i say no? We didnt really talk and he asked me in spanish a question about the vid, i said a quick response. And as time grew i felt worse and my grandfather would just stare at me for a bit. I tried ignoring it but i felt even worse, like what do i do when he does that? I looked back at him once and he asked me something else about the video if it was a violin (we were watching some orchestra) and i said yes and i tried mentioning the bass and cello just to add to it, to make it feel conversational.

I looked at my phone to do look preoccupied, which probably made me feel worse since i tried to look like im doing something infront him, and he would look at me which multiplied my feeling. He said to grandmother at his right in spanish something like "its hard for them to communicate because they cant speak our language", i cant recall exactly but i understood that i was not looking good infront of him. My aunt wanted me to take the compost downstairs and i waited there for a bit. When i walked back up my grandfather was coming out of the kitchen and he looked at me, I was feeling it and I looked at him and yeah, or yes. i sat on a rocking chair and my father came into the room, i didnt worry since he took the attention and eventually my grandparents went to bed.

This is alot longer than i thought i would type it, so alot of you might not read it but
TLDR; possible inferiority complex or social phobia, how do i fix this?
>>
I fail to see how your (extremely tiresome) story relates to your tldr.
>>
>>17718268
join clubs. go to church. get a job. do (team) sports. go backpacking. force yourself to talk to people.
>>
>>17718399
it's a long and hard journey and you may not become completely normal, but you can at least be better than you are now. good luck OP
>>
>>17718386
alright, i wrote it after i just came back from it. now that im better, i can say what happened was i had a fear of being in an awkward situation where i cant do anything and shame myself. So i try to fake being comfortable or natural and when they see through it it makes me feel horrible. then i feel like panicking and i leave as smooth as possible (not smooth). What do i do about this? I have a job, ive been in track, never been in a club. Should i seek god like >>17718399
>>
>>17718403
I agree. It is a long and hard journey, I suffered from social anxiety up until high school. It took a lot of time, and I had to keep pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I had to keep forcing myself to talk to others. You WILL fail sometimes. You WILL be in awkward situations because you didn't know what to say.

But through these failures, you learn. And you learn. And you learn. And one day, you realize that shy loner has become a man with a solid group of friends (not a lot, but important ones) and can talk to strangers comfortably without anxiety.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.