[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never written anything in my life (short of school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: untitled.png (232KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
232KB, 600x338px
I've never written anything in my life (short of school essays), but now I want to write a story. I'd like to convey a certain feeling/emotion to my readers, and only have a vague idea of what that is. How do I come up with a concrete storyline and events which would provoke such an emotion? I can't even understand what exactly makes me feel this way, so it's hard to write something that would induce this feeling.

How do I go about figuring this out?
>>
>>17715514
You have put your finger on the single most difficult part of creative writing. Most writers, whether of fiction, drama or (especially) poetry, want to affect the reader emotionally. The how-to is the essence of the task.

Try to identify the emotion as clearly as you can. Then try to think about a situation - a visual picture - that would evoke that emotion. Then ask yourself how the people in the picture got there, working out the "back story". Then tell the story from the chronological beginning (which might in fact be the last thing you thought your way to).
>>
>>17715626
Thanks man, writing out those steps actually helped me quite a bit. I have several basic ideas as to what write about now, so now I suppose I should think them through in more detail to see if they work.
>>
>>17715514
OP, I don't know how much time you have on your hands, but you should close read some good novels and see how they carry out the emotional effect.

To give you some tips:

It's all about analogy.
You're going to have to figure out why you feel this way and writing going to help you travel through your though she and emotions. A story is like a map that you create as you explore something.

Read up on the fundamentals of aesthetic and efficiency.

Just start writing stuff. And it doesn't have to be reflections of this feeling you have. Practice with some other, easier feelings you have.

You probably don't want to hear this but writing that truly has the ability to evoke strong emotion takes years and years to develop the skill to compose. Do your due diligence and and you'll get there.

Lastly, nobody is going to teach you writing but yourself. Everything I said here is tips or whatever but it's ultimately meaningless unless you find your own way.
>>
>>17715514

What are you looking to write about exactly? Need more info OP.
>>
>>17715514
You have set the bar too high for your first attempt. You should aim to just write a short-story to completion rather than work on any subtleties.

I attended a creative writing course part-time for two years and I haven't even attempted to do something like you suggest, OP. I just start typing some bullshit and go with the flow until it feels finished(this takes one or more complete re-writes). When it comes to poetry it is actually recommended that you adjust your content to the language and not the other way around (this requires you to love language).

As long as your story isn't completely retarded it will almost always invoke some kind of feeling in the reader. But invoking a specific kind of feeling is hard as dicks, I can't even get my readers to understand my satire.
>>
>>17715514
It works different for each reader, so I'd just start with what works for you and for that it'd be the easiest to read other works.

Other than that, you seem to approach it from the wrong angle. Most people want to tell a story, the emotional impact with certain scenes comes with rewriting.
>>
>>17715514

Usually it's not the events that arouse emotions in readers, but the word choices and the atmosphere created by the sentence structures and pacing by the writer. While it is important what is written, it's equally important what is left unsaid and up for interpretation.

My advice is to read. Read a lot and with great variety and learn from the different styles and compositions. Listen to the voice in the stories.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.