[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in school for programming, there's part of me that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 001_28.jpg (9KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
001_28.jpg
9KB, 320x240px
I'm in school for programming, there's part of me that wonders if this really is for me.

I like it well enough, but i don't feel any true drive or passion towards it. That being said, I have depression and anxiety (clinically diagnosed) and there's a very real chance that it could just be sucking my enjoyment out of things.

Thinking about it now, I've never had any motivation to be productive/better myself (even if i wanted to). I've never felt true passion towards anything in my life.

Whats going on with me, how do i stop living my life as a passionless sadboi
>>
Change your habits, thats the first step. Change your pass time activities to something constructive like fitness that encourages you to improve your self and your skills.

The true passion thing i can definitely relate to, but think of programming as a tool or a bridge that allows you to achieve greater things in life than just writing code and making a decent living. Think of all the possibilities you can have as a programmer, make an app that significantly improves people's quality of life, fix broken projects, take an entrepreneurial route and design your own social media platform. Technology is fucking powerful and the opportunities are endless imo. Thats why i decided to major in comp sci. Its not what you go to school for that matters, its what you do with it.

I highly recommend weightlifting with a friend or something. Its a way to continuallly be a better version of yourself not just physically but mentally too.

Move out and force yourself to get a taste of how shitty life can be beyond just being sad and put yourself in a situation that will give you ambitions
>>
Gamedev here. Depends on the field you want to get into.

99℅ of programmers are trash. You sound like one.

The ones who aren't trash are the ones who are passionate and motivated. The kinds who made shit in their own time outside of school or whatever unrelated job they had at the time. The kinds who are constantly researching new fields or staying on the bleeding edge of tech.

People like you are a drag on a team, but it doesn't mean there isn't a place for you. You'll be stuck forever working some shitty job making $30k/year forever with your current attitude.

Do what you enjoy doing and you'll progress in life. Torture yourself and you'll go nowhere.
>>
>>17710128
Kinda a generic reason, but I went for programming because I want to start and indie game company some day. I kinda lose sight of that sometimes, I should try to keep it in mind though

>I highly recommend weightlifting with a friend or something.

I've been through period of regular exercise. Always kinda fell out of habit. I remember feeling pretty good about myself though so youre probably right.

>Move out

If school was just starting for me I'd be able to, however I completely emptied my savings account to buy a car to get to school and back. I simply can't afford it desu
>>
>>17710155
Whelp I'm doomed then.
>>
>>17710165
In your last post you said you wanted to start an indie company. If that's true then you need way more passion about the area you're going into. Figure out why you want to make games specifically (I want to work for video games isn't a reason).

I'm not saying you're fucked, I'm saying you sound like you are. You're the only one who will decide what you can and will do in life. If you want to he successful in programming, find a specific field in programming that actually interests you and go for it.
>>
>>17710172
>Figure out why you want to make games specifically

Simply put I just want to be able to put my ideas towards a medium I enjoy. The thought of slowly watching my ideas come to life excite me to no end. Same reason I've been messing around with music software lately too.

Truth me told, I'm like this with most areas of my life. I've never really had any passion or drive towards anything. This issue might be something bigger than "this isn't my thing"
>>
I should also mention, since this semester has been insanely stressful for me I've been in counselling trying to work on my anxiety issues.

I reckon I should talk to my counsellor about this. He might actually be able to help a lot.
>>
All this talk about me potentially spending my life in a dead end job being miserable is actually fucking with my head now.

Goddamn what's wrong with me.
>>
bump, got some decent advice here. But I'm worried about what if i can't get my shit figured out in time. I'll probably fuck over my entire life.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.