[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legit question: am I "privileged" if I got a full-ride

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 1462137116945.jpg (20KB, 583x583px) Image search: [Google]
1462137116945.jpg
20KB, 583x583px
Legit question: am I "privileged" if I got a full-ride academic scholarship?

I graduated 6 years ago, and my friend says I just don't understand what he has to deal with because of it. I feel that I worked hard.
>>
It doesn't matter, what matters is that you can't relate to someone who didn't get one.
>>
>>17705408
Your friend needs to pull his head out of his ass. It's not like someone just scooted up to you and said: here, have a free scholarship!
>>
>>17705445
>. It's not like someone just scooted up to you and said: here, have a free scholarship!
That sounds literally what happened
>>
You arent privileged. You dont know what he has to deal with. These arent mutually exclusive

You also didnt provide much context so I have no idea why the fuck someone thinks you're privileged.
>>
>>17705408
You are privileged.

Literally, you are.
You got something quantifiable few other people got.

If you have a shovel when everyone is digging with their hands, you're privileged

It's not some political statement about hating yourself or some bullshit.
It's just a straight fact. You have something few people have.
That's the definition of privilege.

If you can't divorce it from the politics, replace the word with "advantage".
The two are essentially synonymous
>>
>>17705408
You probably did have to work hard. Now imagine doing that, but also having to work two jobs to be able to do that, and the stress of not enough sleep and stress of bills etc.. you don't get it if you had to make this post. On the other hand good for you for getting a scholarship so you didn't have to work as hard and could focus solely on school
>>
So he just gets to complain, like I didn't do anything to work hard? Is that really how it works?
>>
>>17705465
There's still the upkeeping a minimum grade thing. Besides, giving crap to others because they earned/got lucky with an advantage is for whiners.
Like, other people don't need to know how buttblasted you are because some joe has it better than you.
The fact won't change just by whining over it.
>>
>>17705494
Sure, you worked hard, but so did he.

That's why people like him are pissed.
You both worked hard but you got more out of it.
Why?
No reason.
That's the rub.

It's like this.
Two highschools.
Same material.
Same top students.
One highschool is rich. The other is poor.
The top students of one get a scholarship.
The top students of the other do not.
Same material.
Same grades.
Same effort.
Only the rich school get a scholarship.

Why?
Because.
>>
You are privileged. Just like your friend probably appears privileged to people in third world countries. And how you probably view people richer than you as privileged. Perspective is key but yeah ignore him if you got a scholarship you worked hard. If you feel guilty then go volunteer somewhere.
>>
>>17705501
You are assuming a lot here. I'm not OP but he didn't mention money situation at all. Stop projecting.
>>
>>17705506
Nigga got a fucking scholarship.

Poor schools cannot hand that out.
It's not a matter of projection.

You're like denying rain is fucking wet. It's inherent in the fucking property.
Scholarships cost money.
>>
File: judgewhitey.gif (22KB, 600x470px) Image search: [Google]
judgewhitey.gif
22KB, 600x470px
>>17705501
It's only simple. Why give money to poors who are just going to waste it on fast food and drugs?

You're either elite or you're not, get over it.
>>
>>17705506
Not the poster you're responding to, but you're right: OP didn't mention money situation. Nor did he mention anything else. I do think it's fair to assume that what his friend is talking about IS money though, since OP mentioned that he graduated 6 years ago and so his friend probably has student loans that are holding him back from doing things that OP doesn't have any barriers to.
>>
>>17705506
>because of his free-ride scholarship, OP is being called privileged
What else could OP be fucking talking about if not money? Are you dense?
>>
>>17705520
Scholarship in my day meant you got good grades so they said hey go to college for free. They had some in my school that specifically went to lower income students so.
>>
>>17705501

OP here. We went to the same high school. He had all of the opportunity in the world to take the same courses as me.
>>
>>17705522
Yes, and that's still about money...?
>>
>>17705528

Yeah, it's about money, but the other guy didn't work as hard, and didn't get a scholarship.
>>
>>17705529
He needs to fuck off then.
He got what he worked for.
>>
>>17705527
Regardless of whether that poster was right in what they were talking about, you said you were just handed the scholarship on a plate. As a result, however many years on, you're in a financially better position, and only because of the scholarship. You may have worked hard to get it (did you? I don't know), but you don't know how hard he's had to work, and how many barriers he has now in life which you don't have, all because of this scholarship. Whatever you want to call it - privilege or something else - you can't deny you've had a better ride than he has, and he's right, you don't understand what he has to deal with because of it.
>>
>>17705528
Yes? But you inferred that he got it because he had money from the get go and his friend didn't which wasn't explained or even hinted at in the original post.
>>
>>17705533
>>17705529
And as a result, OP can't relate to his friend. Which is at the heart of OP's question.
>>
>>17705511
>Denying rain is wet
Hey man, we still have a planet of people who still believe in an all-powerful imaginary friend after going to space.

Seems as though if you can't swim past the retards, you deserve to get sucked under the current.
>>
>>17705511
Google low income scholarships. They exist. They are helpful. Granted some of them you have to be working for certain companies (ie walmart). There's also financial aid for many community colleges, probably bigger universities as well.
>>
>>17705535

I wasn't handed my scholarship on a plate. I took AP and IB classes in order to start as a sophomore when I got to school. I took extracurriculars, including two years as the editor of the yearbook when I could have been taking off two hours early. As a white, heterosexual male that was nothing but average at sports, academics were really my only chances to pay for my own schooling.

So again, I ask, am I supposed to act guilty around him? He could have taken the same classes, he could have gotten more scholarships.
>>
>>17705541
Yes he is privileged. Yes, he can't relate perfectly to his friend's situation.
He can emphatize with his feelings of frustration, is he wishes to.
Doesn't mean his friend needs to try and guilt him over it, that's just a plain shitty thing to do.
>>
>>17705553
Your friend and this person you're responding to are just sour grapes. My friend got a full ride and I had to do trade school so that I could support myself and havent even get to go to real college yet. She worked like crazy though and I was pretty lazy in highschool. I never once made her feel guilty or looked down on her, not even in my lowest times.
>>
>>17705553
Look. Regardless of 'muh hard work' and whatever else he could have done, the fact is, you CAN'T relate to him. You're in different places, because you got a scholarship and he didn't. I'm not saying whether or not you should feel guilty about it, because that's not really for me to decide, but he IS right when he says that you don't understand what he has to deal with.
>>
>>17705408
Guess you don't understand. But that's okay. You worked hard for a degree where others didn't and failed. Now they have a shittier life. If they'' bitch about muh unfair. They should've done better in school, and you can tell them that you don't give a fuck
>>
Can you honestly say "I understand what hardships he's going through"? Because if not, he's right, and you're wrong. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>17705408
it depends on how you define "privileged"
the word is often just used as an insult

the way I've always seen it
luck=something that fell into your lap
opportunity= something you could work for

but privelidge almost implies that you got something you didn't deserve, you jumped the que, bribed your way in
it's an insult

new time someone says it, ask them "do you think I don't deserve this"
then they have to proove how you jumped the que, name someone who is better than you, or say "africans wern't able to apply"
to which you say
"in that regard I was lucky, but blaming me for my good luck isn't helping them"
>>
File: 1397606604615.gif (2MB, 265x257px) Image search: [Google]
1397606604615.gif
2MB, 265x257px
>>17705408

Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't really matter what series of events led up to it. You had a goal, you worked, you achieved it.

Maybe if you were a different race or in a different financial bracket or lived in a different country you wouldn't of gotten it but the fact is you did. The world is an unfair place that shits on a lot of good people but don't let that make you feel like you have to apologize for your success.

Stay humble. They say luck happens when hard work meets opportunity. You got lucky. Doesn't need to be any deeper than that.
>>
>>17705408
There are different levels of privilege, being able to study is one of them. Getting a free ride is even more privileged obviously.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.