[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog advice? Little background: About 3 weeks ago I adopted this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (85KB, 640x532px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 640x532px
Dog advice?

Little background:
About 3 weeks ago I adopted this puppy from a shelter. He's 5 months and about 40lbs. He latched to me immediately and I to him I guess. It was an impulsive decision but I actually really do want a dog. The shelter said he was bull terrier mix, which I used to fuel my own denial. I took him for to a vet for a follow up today and turns out he's mostly pit bull, which being honest changes my whole perception of the dog.

The puppy is very friendly, but often aggressively so. He tries to mount/hump every thing that is smaller than him, including children, and jumps on adults. And he's not very gentle about it. There's already a stigma surrounding the breed, and his current demeanor isn't really helping. He is just a puppy though, and completely harmless. Obviously he needs some obedience training and socialization which I'm happy to provide.

Should I keep him or take him back?? He's like a smaller version of pic
>>
Keep him, but get him some obedience classes. Also get him neutered, for more reasons than one.
>>
Why do people who have no idea what the fuck they're doing get pitbulls and don't even do the most basic research?
>>
>>17704711

I didn't think he was a pitbull. The shelter I adopted him from said be was mostly bull terrier. Why the fuck can't idiots read before they comment?
>>
>>17704752
How else u supposed to get free bumps tho
>inb4 cancer gives u free bumps and lumps
>>
>>17704701

He is neutered already. The shelter I got him is pretty solid and has vets etc on staff. He was cleared for adoption, which requires that all their animals be spayed/neutered.
>>
>>17704757
Well then obedience classes are the way to go.
>>
>>17704753
Mix usually means pit bull, especially if you say he looks like the dog in your pic.

The fact that you're asking this stuff now means you're unprepared and got a dog anyway. You're the worst kind of dog owner.
>>
>>17704691
How did your vet determine that your dog is "mostly pit bull"? A DNA test? As long as you're not completely retarded and properly train/socialize/care for your dog it will be fine. Puppies jump and bite shit because they don't know better.
>>
>>17704691
Take him back. If you need to think about it this hard, you're not ready.
>>
>>17704769
This.
>>
God you literally answered your own question. He's a puppy. He's gonna be unaware about boundaries/being rough and will jump on people and be overly affectionate. Get him training, be a good owner, and it'll be fine.
Faggot
>>
>>17704769

Unprepared how? Financially, emotionally, and logistically I'm completely prepared. The issue is with the specific puppy. Like I said, it was impulsive and he's great, but the amount of attention he specifically requires right now is pretty unreasonable for just me.
>>
>>17704818
Then you're not prepared if you can't give him all the attention he needs. Don't adopt animals on impulse. Any puppy is going to be a challenge for one person.
>>
>>17704818

Also what I meant by my perception of him changed is that pit bull and bull terrier are very different breeds. Ideally this dog would be my daily companion and I could take him with me everywhere... work, road trips, running, etc. Which I'm not sure pit bull really fits.
>>
>>17704824
You sound like an autist. The fact that you came to 4chan for this says enough.
>>
>>17704824
You're so dumb it hurts lmao kys my man
>>
Pit bulls are actually one of the best breeds, it's the niggers that train them that give them a bad rep because they make them fighting dogs. I have a pitbull mix (same deal from the shelter - said he was bull terrier) and he's a complete goofball. Loves people, loves to play with other dogs.

Just train him right and you'll be fine.
>>
>>17704857
>>17704887

Bull terriers are literally completely different breeds wtf, with different dispositions etc. Why is it hard to understand that I thought I got one breed of dog that has one set of qualities and instead got a different breed of dog with different qualities? I even asked the shelter why the mislabel and they said because it's harder to get pit bulls adopted
>>
>>17704923
So bring him back. It's not complicated. You're just a shit pet owner and shouldn't have adopted the dog to begin with.
>>
>>17704824

You're an idiot who knows nothing about dogs.

Pits are just fine as long as you're not a shit owner. Although, it's seeming like you are a shit owner already.
>>
>>17704923
You've clearly never owned a dog. I'm starting to question if you've ever been around one?
>>
>>17704927

I'm not a shit pet owner wtf. I literally spend every free minute I have walking, playing, and training this puppy.... I'm playing with right now. He's completely healthy and happy. I want a dog for some specific reasons and I just don't know if a pit bull is capable of being that kind of companion. And I just didn't/don't want a pit bull. They're regulated and under scrutiny here

Saying that all breeds are similar/the same is asinine which I think is kinda the direction this is going.

I'm gonna keep him and get him trained though because he is mixed. And also I love him.
>>
>>17704965
Mistake. Take him back.
>>
>>17704965
"I'm playing with him right now"
>posting on 4chan
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>17704990

We're playing fetch, tugging this rope, and find it. I'm posting while he searches and he's getting better.

There's no reason for you to be a cunt rn other than you just being a sad cunt in general. I wanted advice and got some so that's good enough for me.
>>
>>17705010
We're shitting on you because you're putting these dumbass stereotypes on a dog breed when it's completely reliant on how the dog acts based on how the owner raises it.
Pitbulls get a bad rep because had raised them to be fighting dogs. Most dogs can be aggressive if not trained correctly. Stop trying to blame the breed and train the dog
>>
>>17705040

Exactly this. Stop being scared of "omg pitbulls are dangerous," and raise your pupper to be cool and listen to your commands. Don't starve it in the backyard or have it fight other dogs or make it be "badass."

Then you'll have a super chill, loyal dog, who will remember that you saved it from certain death.

Pits are the most loyal, chill dogs I've been around.
>>
>>17704923

Dude. It's a dog. A great dog actually. Every pitbull I've met has been a sweet heart. Then again, I don't associate myself with scumbag dog owners.

The reason pitbulls have a bad rap is because they have a strong bite, but little dogs (which I mostly hate) are really bad tempered and aggresive. But they're small so there bite isn't that bad.

Although I've seen chihuahua bites and they are gnarly.
>>
>>17704965

All breeds have the potential to be great friendly companions.

That's what you seem to be missing.

You're literally being racist against your dog.

I don't understand why Pitbulls are so hated while Rottweilers and Dobermans can be just a vicious dogs.

But also every Rottie and Doberman I've met have been great dogs.
>>
File: image.jpg (329KB, 790x1274px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
329KB, 790x1274px
I think if you bring me home, he'll be fine and have a lot of attention. That being said, it's kind of impossible to clean and cook while he's biting my feets and running around chewing shoes and pissing everywhere--he has no off button, even when we were both walking him, playing with him, and you ran with him. But with me gone, I think he might spend a lot of time alone and therefore, crated because he can't be left unsupervised yet. The shelter gave him to us under the pretenses that I would be home all the time...they considered that for a good reason. His breed is kind of irrelevant. We knew he was mixed, and the fact that he's a lot of pit is 0% surprising. Pits are good dogs (RIP Blue).This puppy in particular is high energy as FUUUUUUUCK though and I just think he'll be a challenge on you by yourself. He was a challenge when we were both there. If I'm not coming back, it's probably wiser to give him back to the shelter, for his own sake. Not because I don't think you can do it, but because I know this dog. He needs the supervision, he needs the dedication, he needs a lot of effort. He's a cute little shit and will get adopted quickly. He'll have a good life.
>>
>>17704691
kek
pit bull terriers LOL
>>
File: bull-terrier.jpg (23KB, 637x421px) Image search: [Google]
bull-terrier.jpg
23KB, 637x421px
>>17704691
What they meant is he is some kind of pit BULL TERRIER mix. Pit bulls are all "pit bull terriers" but there are diff kinds of pits.

A pure bull terrier is an egg head dog.

Look. pit bulls can be great dogs but they MUST be trained. If you can't get him trained then return him.

Second --- TERRIERS ARE FIESTY DOGS. Any dog with a terrier in it is feisty. And BULLY BREEDS are bullies! My goodness... what did you think???
>>
File: image.jpg (127KB, 961x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127KB, 961x640px
>>17706825
Ps we shoulda got Kenny. Fat little chunk did not give one single fuck.
>>
>>17706856

>“pit bull” is a grouping that contains several breeds of dog. The three most common types are the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
>>
>>17704818
He's a puppy bro. You shouldn't have gotten a puppy if you can't train him.
Puppies are like babies that chew everything apart.
>>
>>17704923
because
A. A "bull terrier" is a type of pitbull
B. could you not even look that up beforehand on Google or something?
>>
>>17705040
We are laughing at you because you have no idea what a pitbull actually is.
Your dog looks cute.
>>
Keep him, he loves you already. Like everyone else said, get him some puppy training classes and make sure he knows when he has misbehaved
>>
>>17706825
who wrote this one???
Is that the actual doG??
>>
File: image.jpg (259KB, 1076x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
259KB, 1076x960px
>>17706885
This is the pup. When OP adopted him, we adopted him together (kinda). Shit fell through now OP and I may or may not continue living together. Up to OP, really.
>>
File: virus-head.jpg (118KB, 717x717px) Image search: [Google]
virus-head.jpg
118KB, 717x717px
>>17706906
so there are 2 of you and you are both on this thread??????

lol - your dog is not a wide headed dog. so what is the problem? you don't like puppies. You were't ready for a puppy. Any pup would tire you out and make you feel like crap because puppies take a year to train and level out.

That dog hardly has the wideness of head to be a savage pit or even to scare people.
>>
>>17706925
There are two of us in this thread now. I, personally, felt like a cat or an older dog would have been a better choice. I have 0 authority in the relationship between OP and I, however. This bully pup is doable (I have had full blooded pits before, they are amazing dogs) but it would need to be a team effort. He's too much for one working adult.
>>
>>17706954
Adult dogs are much better.
You guys honestly should return him to someone who wants a puppy and get a nice adult dog that has some training.

I adopted an adult boston terrier pug and she was pretty darn wild at first. Lots of rescues have serious issues, especially the adults. It took work, but it was sooo much less work than when I lived with a roommate who adopted 2 chiweenie pups that destroyed the entire house and were like a full time job that no one wanted.
>>
>>17706978
I agree. Adopting the puppy was a decision OP made without me included. I was dedicated to raising a puppy together, but the day he got the pup is the day he told me I needed to move out. So, do I think it's doable by himself? Yes but it will be difficult and results may not be as desired without constant attention.
>>
>>17704769
He's actually trying to fix the problem though, insults will not help.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.