[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Strategies for not losing my shit at customers? Came close today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: em7D996.jpg (88KB, 703x703px) Image search: [Google]
em7D996.jpg
88KB, 703x703px
Strategies for not losing my shit at customers?

Came close today when a lady was criticizing me for selling travel-sizes on top of a large transaction. Basically said something along the lines of "Yeah, it's not good to sell people things they don't need, but it's also not good to lose my job, drop out of school, and become homeless." Managed to pass it off as a joke and joked with her for a while, to the point that she thanked me for being so friendly and cheering her up. But man. close call.

Any anger-management vets or retail slaves have any advice other than "don't do that?"
>>
Think about how badly you don't want to be homeless BEFORE you talk.
>>
>>17702383
Well, not sure if it helps but try to look at it from the other side. I have absolutely no idea WHY and HOW people can lose their shit, be it with personal stuff or work related. Specially at work it's just extra irrelevant. You're there to earn a paycheck, everything that doesn't contribute to it, is beyond irrelevant. Some bitch complains about something? Smile and explain that it's how the things are and how sorry you are. Whether she likes you or not, doesn't affect your paycheck. Some bitch insults you? Just smile and go back to whatever you was doing before. It doesn't affect your paycheck.

Had 2 retail jobs and sometimes the customers bitched because we didn't have stuff X or Y even thought it was advertised, they told me how bad the company sucks and how they will never come again. The hardest thing was not to give them a comically slow shrug.
>>
>>17702407

In that case it's mostly just pent up anger about how the company works, how the economy works, etc etc.

Yeah, it's my job to fucking fleece people. It was her role to try not to get fleeced. Pointing it out like I have much of a choice is cunty in a way "you just lost a customer because of an uncontrollable computer issue" or "you're a bitch because you won't give me a discount" just isn't. Never really gotten mad before but she hit a nerve I guess.
>>
I've worked in retail part-time while I've been a student for 5 years, and no customer, and no aspect of the job often gets to me anymore.

The think to remember is just a job - all the bull shit is part of what they are paying you to do. Think of it like theatre, you just follow whatever the director has told you - and if it fucks up, its his problem, you've done your job.
>>
>>17702412
>just pent up anger about how the company works, how the economy works, etc etc.
All things beyond your control, no matter how bad you rage. The biggest effect you can accomplish is actually losing the job.

>Pointing it out like I have much of a choice is cunty in a way
Nobody says that it isn't. Some people are just entitled and annoying faggots but it's not your job to fix them nor in your power; and attempting it won't get anywhere.

>>17702413
>Think of it like theatre, you just follow whatever the director has told you - and if it fucks up, its his problem, you've done your job.
Pretty good approach.
>>
What magical company do you work for where the higher-ups admit they are ever wrong?

I've gotten written up for following company policy if customers get mad enough.
>>
>>17702424
Let me guess, Murica?
>>
>>17702425

Yeah.
>>
I work in a high end retail place. The kind of place where you sell two things a week and they cost $15,000-$36,000. Luckily I only see maybe 5 people on a busy day, but the downside is they can want considerable time with you, you are very involved throughout and they can be exceptionally strange about the sales process because their expectations start insanely high.

I still have the same bullshit stereotypes when it comes to haggling, old money/new money types, people who think that because they are spending a lot of money they can act like bitchy children, people trying to be fraudulent with warranty issues or asking for compensation for things which are their own fault. So yeah I see less people, but the stakes are proportionally so much higher because if you fuck up a massive sale, you have REALLY fucked up.

I act like a complete mad person because that is how I sell. I say things that are very close to the edge of what is appropriate and I use humour to defuse the situations and sometimes I get it wrong, but I'm usually able to bring it back again and laugh it off somehow.

I don't know how. I've seen people fired for saying stuff maybe 1/10th as bad as me. Therefore I can only put it down to being tall, athletic/built and not that bad looking. I'm also very good at socially mirroring people, can talk on a broad range of topics and have an interesting turn of phrase alongside a very deep and posh voice when needed. I think the customers need to be able to relate to you as a person and the process ideally goes like an encounter with somebody who could be a close friend or acquaintance the company of which you always enjoy. The second you move into the territory of being someone alien to them, trying to sell to them and as such beneath them the illusion vanishes and their defences start to come up, they'll shit test you, treat you like a sales person trying to con them and it gets ugly fast and suddenly that off hand remark is a big deal and cause to complain.
>>
File: wat.jpg (17KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
17KB, 480x480px
>>17702439
>>
>>17702428
Well, it seems common that workers get treated like shit there, at least for the lower end jobs. Whenever my coworkers or me had a problem with the customers, the higher ups always backed us up, specially internally. From retail over hospital up to IT.

>>17702439
Sounds like you're damn charismatic and just good at your job, and with people. Had a coworker like that who could pull it off and get away with outrageous shit, and he was always popular with the customers too. "being tall, athletic/built and not that bad looking" + "very deep and posh voice" applied to him too.

Doubt most people could pull it of as well though.
>>
>>17702439
Anyway, advice. If you are working a retail job where you don't get a large degree of autonomy within your role then just follow the processes and procedures and be polite and apologetic, but firm and consistent. Even if you are basically saying, no fuck you, you can't have that, you are really saying "I'm so sorry! I'd love to help you, but I can't do that without a receipt, it is company policy I'm afraid. If you like though what I can do is get you the contact details for our customer service department, or I could see if the manage is available to help explain it to you?". Or they complain about the bags or some shit and you want to say "yeah that isn't my fault", but instead you just acknowledge that it isn't your fault by politely asking if there is anything else you can help them with today and then say ok have a great day goodbye.

Don't take it all personally. They aren't mad at you. They are mad at the company and the policies and you just happen to be the customer facing part of that company.

Relate and then deflect is the best I can suggest. Also always offer a choice of outcomes even if those choices are ineffective because then the customer feels in control and like you have offered them something. Even if it is just that they felt listened to and you offered to note down the customer relations team's email or something.
>>
>>17702383

This shit. I learn to just give them this fucking look and not say anything. Just the most dead, giving zero fucks look you could ever muster. Let them know they have no power over you. These cunts want you to get upset. They have sad, pathetic lives where they are always bottom bitch to everyone else. Their husband probably dicks bimbos on the side, their boss and coworkers treat them like trash, and their kids talk back to them and don't do as told. So they want to take it out on someone who can't fight back--a min wage slave. Don't let them have it. Let them know how very, very small they are. If they're going on and on, just give them the dead fish look and wait a few seconds of awkward silence to hit it home and make them sweat, then continue doing your job.

It works with anyone, really. I've done it with an uppity wager who was being condescending at the dmv and then she changed her tune and started being overly nice to me.

Normalfags cannot stand the awkward silence. It is their cryptonium. Give 'em the dead-eyed look and wait.

>>17702424

Feels bad man.
>>
>>17702383

People are more mad at the situation than you. Some also believe they can get what they want if they raise enough stink and you just happen to be there.

It's not about you. They don't know you. You just happen to be in their way.

And you get paid to be that person in their way. Accept it. Don't take it personally. Realize that all it really takes to get them on your side is for SOMEONE to at least look like they're trying to help or care.

Be that someone.
>>
>>17703212

>in which anon thinks it is okay for grown adults to throw hissy fits in public and sling verbal abuse at a stranger
>>
>>17702383
You're retail slave, there's not much more than you can do besides grit your teeth.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.