[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to become a game developer. I know I want to, this is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1465257884803.jpg (116KB, 628x640px) Image search: [Google]
1465257884803.jpg
116KB, 628x640px
I want to become a game developer. I know I want to, this is what I want to do with my life.

But i'm so dang lazy. I'm 19, In community college. Everytime I have to do something with my classes I usually put it off till the last minute. That shit kills me.

plus im kinda of bad at math. I have a math test this thursday and I'm clueless about it. I KNOW i have to study, but I'm just not feeling it. And it kills me because i know im gonna fail if I don't study, but im so lazy and all I wanna do is play video games.

How do I stop being so lazy and really get into school? I want to make games and learn programming and stuff, but I know if I'm being lazy now, i won't get anywhere with games.

i know all this, and still, i dont feel like doing anything...
>>
honestly, there are plenty of people who want to do game dev, and who ARE good at math and who are not lazy.

and they still fail.

and even if you succeed, unless you're one of the best in the business, you don't make money doing it - because everyone wants to do it.

another thing is - the games industry is so big and so advanced/specialized now that you don't need to be a great programmer to make great games. plenty of real games are made these days as mods for existing games/platforms.

the hard part of making a game is coming up with an idea that people will like. you don't need math to do that.

then, you can pick one of the existing game engines or platforms out there and try to flesh out your game bit by bit. find other like minded people to work on it with you.

if you don't have the passion to do this, you will have learned that game dev stuff is not for you.

the only thing that can teach you to not be a lazy sack of shit is feeling the burning passion to accomplish something. its hard to care about accomplishing school work you don't believe in.

also, stop drinking and doing weed. that stuff kills your brain, kills your drive, and in the computer business, your brain is the only asset that matters.
>>
It's probably just your perspective man, sounds like you want to do it but don't want to take any steps towards doing it.

Put it this way, if you keep it up, you'll end up being 29 and still wanting to be a game developer, with little to show for it.

Now, I'm not really meant to be putting fear into your head because you're actually in the prime position- you're 19, you've got enough time to fuck up a few times, enough time to make it work, and learn it all. Unfortunately, 'knowing' that you have to do x, y, and z, isn't really helpful- you can still be as lazy as fuck.

My advice is to work on yourself a bit and just force yourself to do it. I know it's kind of easier said than done, but there's not a lot to say. Honestly, I'd say just make as much as possible. Even 30 minutes studying will add up over the years.

You might need to dream bigger to give you motivation, or you might need to break it down into smaller goals that seem realistic- it depends on you. Perhaps you should write out a plan with long, medium, and short term goals. Go wild and dream big, just remember to have the smaller steps in place.

Anyway, you're young, you can do it, you'll be fine. Just get some drive. For me, exercise and meditation really help me focus and do more. My idea is roughly, that putting more effort into all areas of life helps your entire life.
>>
>>17699653
It's pretty much the worst path for somebody lazy, game devs do CRAZY overtime and the pay sucks too given the skills required.

So if you can't step up your game (dat pun), don't even bother dreaming about it.
>>
File: Screenshot_10.png (111KB, 273x376px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_10.png
111KB, 273x376px
>>17699665
>>17699667
>>17699671
I see... so basically, just pic related huh?

Fuck i'm so lazy. But fuck that. I have dreams of being on E3, showing the next big thing in gaming. So there'es no fucking way im gonna get dragged down now.

thanks anons, for getting the point across.
>>
>>17699692

Stop calling yourself lazy too. If you keep telling yourself you're basically making yourself lazy.

Go for it!
>>
>>>/vg/thread/158305710
>>
>>17699665
>the hard part of making a game is coming up with an idea that people will like.
What? Most mainstream games these days are designed by committee, and fit into established genres or molds. Even in the indie game design community, "idea guys" are the lowest of the low, universally disdained. Ideas are cheap. The talent & skill to implement them, to do the nuts-and-bolts work of implementation, testing, refining, that's what's valuable.

>>17699671
This is all true.

>>17699653
That said, laziness isn't a death sentence for an aspiring game developer/programmer. It's actually an aphorism in tech-related circles that the best programmers are lazy. I've never met a really great programmer who wasn't always on the lookout for the path of least resistance. Of course, all the really great programmers I've known have also been fucking addicted to coding and haven't resented the long hours etc -- laziness isn't an impediment when your job is something you'd happily do during your free time anyway.

My medium-term advice to you is to pick a language -- for you I'd recommend something mid- or high-level. Fuck it, just pick Python. Go to the book store, pick out a "LEARN PYTHON FOR BEGINNERS" book (not a For Dummies one), go home, and start tearing through it. Play around, don't just do the exercises in it. You'll find out pretty quick whether you actually enjoy coding (and you might) or whether it's just another tedious activity.

(The guy above is right that game development doesn't precisely equal programming, but you'll never make it without any coding know-how at all -- at the very least you'll need to learn how to think like a programmer.)

In the short term, study for your fucking math test, because whatever field you pick, you don't want to be in community college forever.
>>
>>17699653
The hardest part is finishing. I've been gamedeving since highschool and I've finished one game. Most of the time I give up or I just stop because other things get in the way. Even though I abandon projects a lot I still learn a lot of things.
>>
>>17701205
how do you feel when you've finished?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.