[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: yprzu29wlqpx.jpg (38KB, 729x820px) Image search: [Google]
yprzu29wlqpx.jpg
38KB, 729x820px
So, I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that I'm not willing to do anything by myself or for myself.

I won't go to bars or clubs with the sole purpose of enjoying myself, because most of the time I don't. I go to these places hunting for sex and if I don't get it I view the night as a waste.

I used to think I enjoy traveling or doing outdoorsy things, but I'm not motivated enough to do any of these things on my own. Last night I drove up to Canada on a whim and now I'm laying in bed by myself in an AIRBNB because there's nothing that I actually want to do for myself.

I have a respectable career, that I'm starting to think I only love because of how it makes me appear to other people. I dont think any other job would make me any happier.

I'm not sure how I became this much of a piece of shit. I never really have difficulties meeting/sleeping with women, and I know I shouldn't base my existence around other people or the opposite sex, but I do it anyways.

How the fuck does adv/ try to fill the void without trolling for meaningless sex or relying on the support of other people?
>>
File: existentialism.jpg (513KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
existentialism.jpg
513KB, 2048x1366px
>>17694538
You mentioned sex like 3+ times during your spiel about an existential crisis. Pick any one of pic related except hedonism, which obviously isn't working out for you.

(You fucking idiot)
>>
>>17694602

Not him but would you mind volunteering your favorite(s)?
>>
>>17694605
If you're asking that question a good starting point would be Viktor Frankl- Man's Search for Meaning
>>
Not sure how helpful it is but I write short stories (and occasionally songs and poems) and translate poetry. This does it for me. It's a combination of the joy of doing something you are very ambitious about and pushing yourself past your limits, and pride from a source no one can really take away from you, that has nothing to do with your love life or appearance etc etc. But I'm not sure if that's viable advice if you can't think of something like that... though even then I think my advice would be to try to invest more in a specific hobby that allows for self development.
>>
>>17694629

Interesting... Have you read it?

I'm personally a fan of eastern ideas like Buddhism, but find a lack of desire to be boring as fuck. Which has actually been a very useful revelation for me.
>>
>>17694538

start doing things for yourself.

sit down on sunday night and make a schedule for the week. invite others to go with you but if they don't want to, still go do it yourself. do at least two things a week.

you learn that you don't need people.

I went to halloween horror nights alone. went to the new godzilla movie, alone. Tonight im going to the cemetary to watch nightmare on elm street, alone. two weeks ago i went to the beach, alone. I go get sushi, alone.

I don't think I've seen my friends this month. but i had fun.
>>
>>17694602

In a philosophical context "The Absurd" is the meaningless of life and the human tendency to look for it anyway. The world is not absurd, the absurd just exists (or it doesn't, you decide).

Also, an absurdist doesn't do whatever cuz' fuck everything. The rebellion of an absurdist is acknowledging the meaningless of life and rebelling against it by looking for one and chosing to live anyway.

The hedonistic tendencies of an absurdist come from the lack of inherent meaning to life, which means:
-They can create their own meaning (like your simple existentialist)
-They're not bound by any innate moral codes, since to them, these don't exist. Unlike for Christians for example.
-Rebelling against the meaningless of life by looking for a meaning kinda implies doing some wild shit, like drugs, alcohol and hoes. Just to see if you can make alcohol/drugs/hoes your meaning of life of course, strictly for the sake of inner-peace.

So redirecting someone going through an existential crisis to absurdism is basically like:

>I'll help you find a meaning to your life
>Step one: Realize there's no inherent meaning to life
>Step two: Look for it anyway
>Step three: Give up religion and suicide
>Step four: All you have to by now is find your own meaning to your life, good luck.
>>
>>17694647

How much sleep do you get? I find I can barely do my own laundry without exhausting myself.
>>
>>17694660

at least 8 hours a night 95% of the time. I suffered a brain injury earlier this year so im very strict about my sleep.

I wake up at 8 every week day, so im usually knocked out by midnight at the very latest. but generally im asleep sometime between 10 and midnight.
>>
>>17694639
I have. Read Frankl's wikipedia page for some background. He was a jew in the Nazi concentration camps when he conceived the ideas in the book, so you can imagine the feelings of pointlessness and absurdity he was challenged with. It's a good little comfy existential philosophy if you don't want to inquire too deeply into the circlejerk that is philosophy at large.

If you were really a fan of buddhism you wouldn't be so readily tempted by Mara :P It's totally valid to use the practical aspects of buddhism to enrich your life without buying into the whole philosophy. I practice meditation daily and use Zen principals to maintain emotional control... I think. Zen is kinda esoteric.
>>
File: phil101.jpg (130KB, 480x608px) Image search: [Google]
phil101.jpg
130KB, 480x608px
>>17694659
Sounds like you crave meaning and picked the wrong path on the flow chart. It's not that hard, you dolt.

Also, read Camus. Absurdism is a totally valid and helpful existential framework for some people. Stop imposing your ego on other people's subjective realities.
>>
>>17694666
>If you were really a fan of buddhism you wouldn't be so readily tempted by Mara

I guess I find it interesting and helpful. I'm not terribly skilled at it. I get way too restless to get good at it. Maybe that's where the boredom comes from.

I kind of admire Mara. I can't figure out if it's admiration or jealousy though.

Thank you for the recommendation, it does sound like something I'll enjoy reading.
>>
>>17694665

My addictions really sucks the energy from me, it makes things like that seem impossible.

>>17694647
>i had fun.

I wish any of those things were interesting to me. If I force myself to do them, I usually end up around people and my mental patterns make me feel worse.
>>
>>17694684
I'm not looking for advice regarding the meaning of life. I was an absurdist before I know about its existence as a philosophical concept.

I've read Camus, that's why I know your chart misinterprets it as nihilism with cool words like "Sisyphus", "absurd", and "rebel".

Absurdism is as much of an existential framework as existentialism, which also tells you to look for (invent) a meaning. Except you accept that there's absolutely no meaning to life, not even one you invent for yourself, but you still try to find /invent it anyway. So you're back to ground zero: Your life has no meaning and you're looking for one. You're right where you started before you read about absurdism, but now you believe life has no inherent meaning. Basically, you've made searching for the meaning of life YOUR meaning of life. So what do you do? Ask adv to help you find it. Again. That's absurdism. I mean, shit, that's the absurd itself. The SEARCH for the meaning of life in the knowledge that you won't find it.

I'm not trying to a be a dick here. Some poor dude will read Camus looking for the chart's (mis)interpretation of absurdism and won't find it. What the chart describes is nihilism.
>>
>>17694740

Do you have any recommended resources for learning more about absurdism?
>>
>>17694740
Your OP question was how to fill the void in your life. The chart is a pretty comprehensive plebe tier how to.

Here's a simple summary of why you're wrong re: absurdism. Note the sisyphean use of the cool word "rebel" under the "absurdism" header.

https://danielmiessler.com/blog/difference-existentialism-nihilism-absurdism/#gs.bhaqKHU

You're focusing on your misunderstood notion of aburdism, which you oppose, when there are plenty of other solutions for you that would help you fill that aforementioned void, if only you stopped pseuding at me and listened.
>>
>>17694752

If you want to learn about the absurd, the meaningless search itself, basically every writer and philosopher who touched the subject of existentialism has written about it.

If you want to learn about absurdism, Camus is the way to go:
The Myth of Sisyphus is the "main work" which tackles absurdism, a philosophical essay. The Stranger is a novel about a man who follows the philosophy of the absurd. Start with whichever you like. I'd recommend reading The Stranger first, since its a novel, and then see if you're still interested in absurdism. If you are and have finished The Myth Of Sisyphus, then you should check out The Rebel. While it tells about rebellion in general, but since we're talking about Camus, it all boils down to absurdism.

I'd recommend some websites but I haven't found any (yet, not that I really looked for one) that explains absurdism in-depth without misinterpreting it. What they get right is the comparison of absurdism to nihilism and existentialism. That might be because it's taught that at uni that way, if it is taught at all, so the writer can skip the actually reading it and paying attention part and just borrow a textbook or his friends' notes. So basically google "difference between absurdism and existentialism" and "diff. between absurdism and nihilism". That should give you a start about all three, and you'll also understand the references Camus makes to those concepts. It can be summed up in short-ish chart, so you don't have to read hours and hours just to realize you're not into absurdism.
>>
>>17694769

That is a pretty solid summary of absurdism. The chart is not. Just compare the two interpretations, they're nowhere near the same. That's what I'm getting at, besides my other point:
Absurdism doesn't offer a way or meaning of life for someone who wants to fill the void. I've summed it up quite a few times by now, but maybe if I use your source's words:

"Absurdism is the belief that a search for meaning is inherently in conflict with the actual lack of meaning, but that one should both accept this and simultaneously rebel against it by embracing what life has to offer."
So yes, you have someone who feels empty, and you tell him to embrace life and look for a meaning which he won't find.

btw. I'm not op.
>>
>>17694843
The chart is satire, not a philosophical dictionary. If you want to nitpick, "fuck meaning" should be rephrased. Otherwise the general absurdist attitude is conveyed just fine. If you read it from the perspective of a non-contrarian douche with prior knowledge of absurdism, that is.

>Absurdism doesn't offer a way or meaning of life for someone who wants to fill the void...

To the absurdist, the acceptance that the meaning of life is moot and nothing can be certain is the substrate with which the void is filled in whatever way the absurdist finds appealing. See pic related in >>17694684
Donald poses a nihilistic argument which Mickey refutes with absurdist thought.

>So yes, you have someone who feels empty, and you tell him to embrace life and look for a meaning which he won't find.

As you said earlier, he doesn't want a meaning of life, he just wants to fill the void. Absurdism acknowledges that a search for meaning is moot and should be rebelled against by actually living, not necessarily by searching for meaning anyway where it can't be found.

Again, you're not seeing the forest for the lone absurdist tree. The OP can literally be truncated "Halp I'm a materialistic turd. Why do I feel so unhappy all of a sudden? How to fix void caused by my unexamined life?"
Chart aside, I totally fucking nailed it by suggesting he question his values.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.