[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm someone who has struggled with depression issues for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: painkiller.jpg (47KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
painkiller.jpg
47KB, 728x546px
I'm someone who has struggled with depression issues for a long time. I was actually doing pretty well with it for a while. A recent relationship developed that helped center me. Now it's falling apart and I feel like I'm back to where I started.

In a lot of ways, I feel like my depression exerts its influence as a kind of cold logic. I could give you a bullet-point list of reasons that I feel sad and alone, shit in my life that makes me feel hopeless and stuck.

I feel as though I have two options if I want to survive. The first is to actually fix the problems, but most of them are either beyond my control. The remaining are things I could potentially one day work on, but do not feel in any way capable of dealing with now.

The second option is to figure out how to stop caring about these things. How do you stop caring?
>>
>>17689132
Read some scholarly books on mindfulness in relation to depression. Kabat-zinn is a good start.

When you acknowledge a problem, acknowledge how you feel about it, and acknowledge that it's out of your control it has a tendency to sublimate from your consciousness, rather than actively trying to stop caring. Repression builds up latent stress and sets you on the downward spiral, friendo.
>>
>>17689132
Same problems here. How old are you? I am 25 female,my problems started from very early from the house. Then my parents got divorced. My mom after two years expelled me from home. Then went to dad. Problems with my grandmother (she is crazy and interested to get rid of me, no kidding). Mostly living to my bf's house. Then got a car,after 1 year had a big car accident because of a technical problem of the car.the car destroyed. I am out of money,out of car,out of job
>>
>>17689132
Read "Feeling Good - The New Mood Therapy" by David Burns. Stupid title, but it really fits with what you write.
>>
File: 1476239939515.jpg (16KB, 620x330px) Image search: [Google]
1476239939515.jpg
16KB, 620x330px
>>17689132

>In a lot of ways, I feel like my depression exerts its influence as a kind of cold logic.

Stop. Stop trying to justify your depression with "cold logic". This is just your mind's way of trying to accept depression as a normal constant in your life. It isn't. You are incapable of providing a subjective view of yourself and your life. That's why therapists and mental health counselors exist.

The human mind jumps through all kinds of hoops to make sense of its illnesses and shortcomings. It makes you feel better to depersonalize yourself from your depression and characterize it into a "cold logical event that is beyond my control" because obviously taking control of anything like this is scary.

As long as you're convinced your depression is out of your control not only do you get to walk around feeling like the victim of outside circumstances you get to shirk responsibility for taking steps out of your comfort zone to address it.

Your mind is using the same escapism technique we use when we purposefully perform poorly at a task or quit because subconsciously we are afraid if we really try we might fail.

Your first mistake was using a relationship to center you. You should never ever use relationships to stabilize your mental health. Thats always a recipe for disaster.

>How do you stop caring?

Again, stop with the escapism. You need to see a professional. Its obvious that you are incapable of dealing with this on your own but there is no shame in that. Accept help. Seek it. Go outside your comfort zone and stop residing yourself to feeling like shit because you think you have no choice. You do have a choice, you just need the right tools and and a professional with an outside perspective to show you how to use them.

There is no home remedy for this. There is no self help book or philosophical technique. You have a chemical imbalance in your brain. Get help. Stop diving deeper into this existential bullshit to escape reality.
>>
>>17689157
> How old are you?
30. Male, if it matters.

>>17689177
> Stop trying to justify your depression with "cold logic".
I neither need to nor tried to justify anything. I started the discussion by acknowledging that I struggle with depression. On the other hand, the problems that I start fixating on don't care about whether or not I'm depressed. They exist independently of the depression. Many of which are literally outside of my control in an act-of-god kind of way. What was the shitty prayer? "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Nothing I can do is going to make my family not-garbage. I just have to stop caring that they are. I can say the same about a great deal of the crap that is floating around in my head.

> Stop diving deeper into this existential bullshit to escape reality.
I get that you're trying to help, but man. It's hard to read your response without it sounding awfully damn presumptuous. I didn't ask what the meaning of life is or if we were all fucking holograms. I'm not trying to "Escape" life. I asked how to stop caring about shit that I can't do anything about.
>>
>>17689177
Of course, a guy with red hair in a suit?
Better depict him with a knife behind his back.
>>
File: 1392790884996.gif (472KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
1392790884996.gif
472KB, 245x184px
>>17689234

>I neither need to nor tried to justify anything.

Yeah, you did. The denial you're in about your percieved subjective view of your depression is deep and, apparently, unflinchable.

You're drawing connections between your life events and depression that don't need to be there but YOU need them to be there to make sense of it all.

Bad shit happens to people in life. I'm not saying it isn't okay to feel shitty about shitty things happening I'm saying that learning to control your depression and view it as a malleable and adaptive entity instead of "cold logic" will help you stop compartmentalizing all of the negative feelings in your life into these convenient, dysfunctional categories that you seem to have created for yourself.

The point of therapy and controlling your depression is not to be able to let "acts of god" or shitty life events out of your control not affect you but to retrain your mind in how it processes these events. Turning emotions off is not the cure to depression, nor is it at all a healthy response to anything.

>I get that you're trying to help, but man. It's hard to read your response without it sounding awfully damn presumptuous.

What I'm saying is "not caring" about your shitty family or the things floating around in your head is not a healthy way to process your life. Its escapism, like I said.

Healthy people don't process negative aspects of life by "not caring" about them. Thats silly. Ignoring the way you feel about things and refusing to address them is what causes issues like depression in the first place.

You can't say you're not trying to "escape life" and then in the same sentence ask how to stop caring about negative things happening because that is called TRYING TO ESCAPE. Ignoring a storm does not prevent it from damaging you, learning how to build the foundations of your mind and strengthening your foundation does.

Like I said, get help. You have the completely wrong idea about how to approach this.
>>
>>17689282
> Like I said, get help. You have the completely wrong idea about how to approach this.
Yeah. I can't afford help. Financial issues are among the things in my life I can't really do much of anything with at the moment.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.