[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone who has learned electric by themselves give me some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: ec.jpg (31KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
ec.jpg
31KB, 750x750px
Can anyone who has learned electric by themselves give me some tips? Where do you even actually start learning, aside from playing random tabs, and doing exercises? I want to actually get good.
>>
bump pls
>>
>>17686713
First play around with it. Try and get a feel for the notes that correspond with each fret. Try and turn those simple notes into familiar melodies. Then move your way into taking on a song. It can be easy. But learn it from start to finish. It will feel rewarding.
>>
>>17686713
Read music theory (tldr edition)
Learn scales by memory
Learn the chords to each scale

Congratulations, you can now play epic solos using scales.
>>
>>17686742
thanks anon
>>
>>17686780
thanks anon

the music theory part sounds like a pain in the ass :-(
>>
Twelve years of guitar playing. My best advice, scales. Really helps to get the hand coordination. I never use picks too. Only my thumb. Taught myself alot of techniques. I can basically put my mind to learn any riff by ear. Most recently battery by Metallica. Just chip away at it. Sleep also helps. Really grind out a drill one day, and sleep the night concentrating in the queues and techniques, and you will have made more reps subconsciously. Its proven that your brain hones skills in sleep. Finger drills in air. Imagine how the artist is playing the tune whlist listen to it. Ive taught myself a ton with no formal lessons. Also of you think youre in tune, youre not. Make sure youre really well tuned its helps your sound A ton. Learn to set up your own axe too. I perform regular mechanical maintenance and set heights on my strings myself, after i paid a luthier for a setup and decided i could do it better.
>>
>>17686916
What are some scales, that are important to know for beginners?
>>
>>17686925
Major scale, minor scale to start. Then look into modes as well as harmonic and melodic minor. Here's a small tip, Cmajor and A minor are the same notes just starting on different points, a pattern that repeats itself in any key. It's called relative keys, so C# major and A# minor are also the same notes.
>>
When i started i just wanted to play rock and metal so basically:

-learned open/cowboy chords
-learned songs i liked from tabs
-learned scales (major/minor, pentatonic)
-worked on my picking hand and forced myself to use alternate picking

then eventually years down the road i got into theory and learning how to build chords and scales and things like that. still learning all the time and i think the single most important thing if youre doing it for yourself is to do what is exciting to you so you have fun doing it

if there is a song you really want to learn, go after it. at the beginning though try to set achievable goals, so instead of going after yngwie malmsteen right out of the gate, go for green day or bob dyaln or something easier
>>
>>17686798
Heres the thing. If you want to be mediocre and be able to learn how to play pop songs, then without music theory you could be there in 5-10 years.

If you learn music theory along side tabs and memorization you'll be at a rockstar level after 10 years easy. To the point where you can lick and write music of your own.

Without music theory you'll learn much more slowly and hit a ceiling of ability.

With that said you should start with tabs and scales.
>>
>>17686713
my tip to a beginning guitarist
>Find a teacher/instructor
>get lessons
>PRACTICE
source: music teacher
>>
>>17686798
This video might help you to get a feel of how music theory is useful : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNmEq-cP9Oo
If you know a the basic major chords, the pentatonic scale and mixolydian scale, you can have a lot of fun improvising with that by yourself (with standard or open tunings).
>>
>>17686942
You can learn to play almost any pop song within two or three years, easy anon, it's not going to take 10 years. Music theory won't help your ability to actually play the songs, technique is a different thing completely.

However, for writing, it's important to know at least a basic bit of theory, what the notes are called, what key you're in, and what the most relevant scales are to the style you're interested in.

You don't need to go down the rabbit hole of music theory to be a good player, but it's way easier to be a good musician and able to just jam and create cool sounds if you know that basic bit.

You can eventually learn it by ear, but there's no reason to when it should take like a month or two at most to get a good basic understanding.

Also, the justinguitar course is pretty good for both aspects for a beginner, I'd recommend it to anyone who's starting playing. Mostly because it's free, and it's fucking stupid to spend cash on a course that most people will drop after a month or so.
>>
>>17686713
start by learning some AC/DC. blues is your friend
>>
>>17686942
>If you want to be mediocre and be able to learn how to play pop songs
>then without music theory you could be there in 5-10 years.
>Without music theory you'll learn much more slowly and hit a ceiling of ability.

How grossly erroneous.
>>
>>17687571
I mean, I think AC/DC is just going to leave the guy disappointed, most of their stuff is way beyond a beginner. Keep in mind, this guy's going to be struggling even fretting notes.

Start with something easy and poppy, a three chord sort of song that you can use A, E and D for, because those tend to be the easiest chords for a beginner to learn.

The riff to seven nation army is a good one to learn if you want to start moving up and down the neck a bit, it's slow, but still plenty of movement. And it is played on a guitar, even though it sounds like a bass.

>>17687573
He's not right about actual technical ability, but he's right in that there's a reason there's hundreds of youtube shredders that are technically very accomplished, but can't write decent music to save their lives.

You won't ever be able to jam very well, or play with other musicians in anything but a cover band if you don't know at least a bit of theory.
>>
>>17686713
If you have some money, you should get Rocksmith. 10/10
>>
>>17687579
> but can't write decent music to save their lives.

That has more to do with hunger and less to do with knowledge of theory. The hunger to create exciting/creative music will drive you to be creative and excited about what you are creating. Of course learning theory has absolutely no net negative, and if you have the opportunity to learn it you probably should, but I've listened to too much amazing music in this world created by folks who knew dick about theory to swear by it.
>>
>>17687584
Being excited about making music doesn't mean you can make good music anon. You do need to know what you're doing at at least a basic level, unless you're just going to fret every chord you know and hope it sounds good and is in the right key.

Of course, there's people who create really simple stuff that works well, but the most incredible music is made by people who know what they're doing. The shit people remember, whether that be something poppy, something metal, something in rock, blues (yes, bluesmen all know a bit of theory, it's a language of its own to write blues), whatever you want.

Especially as I said, if you ever plan to play with other musicians, you need to be able to play off what they're doing. And to do that, you need to know what it is they're actually doing.

Let me put it this way. When I was younger and first started playing, I had the same attitude, that I didn't need to learn theory, that I'd just pick it up and focus on playing better. And for a while, it worked. I learned shit, my playing got pretty decent, but it would take a week to write a riff on my own, let alone to write a song, which would take me months with other musicians (who similarly had no knowledge of theory, because we were all dumb teenagers). For a while, we were in contact with a local musician who gave us a bit of guidance, and with him explaining what key a riff was in, and what keys we should try to stick to to work off it, it would take like a week to get a whole song down, because you go from literally thousands of combinations, and everyone just doing what they think sounds cool, to people running off a much reduced amount of notes, and having more of an idea what to do that will add to what the other people are doing.

It was quicker, and sounded much better in the end. Of course, we were retarded teenagers, so it still went no further than local gigs, but you get my point.

Learn basic theory, don't waste years of progress for no reason.
>>
>>17686713
Learn music theory and listen to Metallica
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.