[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

being a game developer is my life dream. but how do I overcome

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 147629534615.jpg (12KB, 216x233px) Image search: [Google]
147629534615.jpg
12KB, 216x233px
being a game developer is my life dream.
but how do I overcome the feeling that I will die alone, being a failure with only shitty games and nobody giving a fuck about me.
>>
>>17685382
You're not alone.

How old are you? Do you study or work?
>>
>>17685596
27, going to college right now.
>>
>>17685602
21 here. Studying and working. Barely got time to work on my stuff. Used to be a NEET until I got in a relationship and she pressed me.

I program in Javascript. You?
>>
>>17685640
Java and C#
>>
>>17685382
You should be afraid of that because it's a very real possibility. You only hear about the success stories and very rarely about the myriad of miserable failures. Be afraid and keep that in mind when you need to motivate yourself. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>17685382

if being a game developer is your life dream, then whether or not the games are good are rather irrelevant. theres always someone better. whats the 'baseline' for acceptable quality?

i was estatic when my videos were only getting a hundred views and six comments. it made my day. now i get hundreds of thousands and too many comments to respond to.

time will get you further ahead, but it doesn't matter how far you go so much as how much you enjoy it.
>>
>>17685652
whats your channel?
>>
>>17685652
Quality do matter. You should always imagine ways your game could be better. But you gotta balance that with your current habilities and time. If you don't have enough, then make it simplier but keep it good.
>>
>>17685382
You see those window-less walls around you in your parents basement? You have to leave them one day, and the way you feel about what you want to do in life might change
>>
>>17685669

id rather not say. anytime i post it everyone says its cringy.

>>17685671

does it though? improvement matters, but its like you said, balance with current abilities.

if you enjoy what you do and you did your best and learned a little, the quality is irrelevant.

you cant say 'QUALITY MATTERS BUT YOU GOTTA BALANCE WITH ABILITY'.

your ability dictates the quality. you can't have it both ways.

again if you're doing it cuz its your dream and for fun and you arent going to make al iving off of it, quality doesn't matter.
>>
stop being a little bitch and do something. a day's worth of work isn't going to do crap but a week just might even a year just do what you must and keep going.
worrying isn't going to do shit for you in the long run
>>
>>17685684
There are kinds of games that doesn't require much effort make it look good compared to bigger projects.

For example, making an good 2D linear game with simple graphics is much easier than making a good 3D collectathon with complex graphics.

Anyway, if someone simply wants to make games regardless of anything else then you're right. My dream is to make good games though.
>>
>>17685717

we all want to be successful, but if your dream is meaningless without success, then its not really a dream, its an ego issue.

also no idea what die alone has to do with it.
>>
>>17685727
Except I didn't say success, I said good game. I want something to be satisfied with based on my own judgement, which has to do with quality.

But having success can be a goal too, not just an ego issue. Having other people enjoying my game would be a good thing as well making money doing what I love.

Also never said die alone. What are you talking about?
>>
>>17685755

except for how you list 'shitty games' right next to 'nobody giving a fuck about me' in the OP.

assuming your issues are related to your dream, which was your opening fucking statement, yes you want to be successful.

honestly dude, you're so whiny.

if you love doing something for the sake of it, do it. if you are worried you'll never be good enough by some arbitrary imaginary scale that you can't even measure, then boo hoo.

>also never said die alone

in the op:
>but how do I overcome the feeling that I will die alone

and yes im operating under the assumption that you are OP, if you're not you should fucking clarify.
>>
>>17685771
I'm not OP.
>>
>>17685778

then talk to him, not me.
>>
>>17685382
i understand no one cares but i worked in games a musician for a couple years. had zero desire to be in games but i got to play guitar for a living which was a dream come true.
from what i saw being a dev is extremely competitive and insular. community is very small and everyone knows everyone so you have to watch what you say, and knowing people is a huge part of how youre gonna get a shot in the first place. there are tons of talented capable people but nepotism is huge as is reputation. lots of egos and money and drama. its a passion industry for some, but not all, so that is what you would expect i guess.

eventually i couldnt get work anymore and i had to figure something else out. i didnt think i would have trouble readjusting but i took it pretty hard looking back on it. alot of drinking and anxiety involved because those job s were so fucking cool, it was like ok now what can i do that will ever be on that level again. still looking

so there you go for what its worth
>>
>>17685785
But I wanted to talk with you senpai
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.