[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please critique my resume. I have no idea what I'm doing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: blank.png (65KB, 687x887px) Image search: [Google]
blank.png
65KB, 687x887px
Please critique my resume. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I can't seem to land Internships or entry level jobs. My coding samples are very good and well commented, I have a strong set of programming skills and languages I can pull from.

The only things I can think of is that I'm graduating late, I'm a former econ major. Also my work experience is shit.
>>
have you talked to your school's employment office, huntard?
>>
>>17685083
I have. I always seem to get rejected at the final stages
>>
>>17685078
As someone who's both hired and fired people, i can honestly say that i'd like to schedule an interview with you. Your resume isn't all that, but good enough to be interesting.

Bonus points for:
> Github link, so that i can see your work.
> Short and descriptive

Your employment history is lacking, but that's expected at a young age.

Don't be too suprised if it lands you an interview for an entry-level SE job.
>>
>>17685078
Instead of the "Sales/Customer service" heading, just write your duties/skills required under employment.
>>
>>17685547
I took that like a position title.

Get rid of the underline and do bullet points of the duties. Clean up the redundancies in that part too. You say customer service twice and then list things that are customer service.

Im not the best person to give advice since i dont do hiring or anything but i like resumes that are all information, dont say "this position required me to" just list what you needed to do.
If i had to look through tons of resumes i wouldnt be interested in reading your prose. Id just want to see keywords.

Also, seems there is some redundancy in other places. Saying you have virtualization and version control after listing stuff like git. Merge unix/linux to "other".

Take out "(in order of experience)". Take out that you had a+ cert or get cert again.
>>
It's probably that you're trying to work in a saturated field
>>
I think the intention of an interview is good but the way it really ends up working in reality is really stupid. The questions used in the interviews usually only give the interviewer enough information to work with extremely vain stupid judgments about the person. Judgments that shouldn't play any role in being a deciding factor for whether or not they get hired.
>>
>>17685818
Are you suggesting things like how well a person can manage time and how well they can work in a team aren't important?
>>
You needed to get internships in college, dingus
>>
>he fell for the comp sci meme
good luck, my dude
>>
>>17686072
>comp sci meme
You mean STEM meme
>>
>>17685078

Too much of a text wall. An average recruiter takes about 30 secs to skim over a resume the first time, before picking a few they actually might read. They'll pick someone with better and simpler resume over yours anyday. You've written too much, your experience and skills should be easily assessible with a glance. Improve the formatting and make the things that actually matter stand out.

I work in recruiting and I'd only give another look at this resume if your application letter was exceptional. But wait, I'd only read your application, if your resume easily showed that you have the skills I'm looking for. Now it doesn't. A recruiter has dozens of resumes to look through, there isn't enough time to read this much small print.
>>
It'd be interesting to play around with the order a bit. I've done interviews and CV filtering in the past, and some honest thoughts here:
- I don't care about your GPA
- Don't really care about degrees

What I do care about is what you've done. What if you restructure this CV to first talk about what you've actually done (open source things), then strengths, then languages and libraries, then traiing, then education.

Give it a go and think about how it looks. Just a thought.
>>
It's a very... technical resume. You don't really have many 'general' skills like teamwork and time management, and where you do, you just write a generic sentence about them, not elaborate on them. Employers are interested in these things too, not just shit you could learn from picking up a book. They're probably more interested on those, actually - they can teach you knowledge where you lack it, but they don't want to deal with someone who can't get along with others, for example.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.