[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Femanon here. How do I make friends at college? Recently my two

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 17

File: Pretty_jeanette.png (74KB, 260x262px) Image search: [Google]
Pretty_jeanette.png
74KB, 260x262px
Femanon here. How do I make friends at college?
Recently my two best friends severed ties with me for petty reasons and revealed some pretty harsh things they think about me.
Lately I've been having problems with my boyfriend (he doesn't take my issues seriously, essentially tells me to just get over it, things will change eventually and its not the end of the world when what I really need is support, not being brushed off)
I sort of realized I need to make friends ASAP. I can't keep pitying myself and I know I have to get out there. My relationship probably is going to be over soon because he is very dismissive, and it's pretty unhealthy that he's the only person I talk to the vast majority of days.
There are a few people in my classes I think are cool (from what I can tell) and would be good potential friends, but everyone always leaves the second the professor is done talking and everyone just sits where they sat the first day.
How do I approach these people I want to be friends with? What kinds of things do I say?
I don't want to come off too strong or creepy. I'm kind of afraid of that if I just sit next to someome.

And yes, I realize I'm coming off as full cancer right now. Keep in mind 2 friends were from middle school and my parents were/are EXTREMELY over protective. I wasn't allowed to do many things with other kids growing up such as trick or treating and local fair. I didn't have a phone until I was a sophomore.
I always have felt like an outcast, thus socially awkward.

Please help.
>>
Nice blog post. You already know what you have to do, fuck off.
>>
>>17683780
>blog
Sorry for providing background info. And no, I don't. I want to know how to go about it.
I'm not new here ty and would appreciate actual advice.
>>
>>17683780
Do you know where you are?
>>
>>17683775
male here, but making friends always came naturally for me. Honestly in a class room it's hard. Maybe try joining a club? If you are in dorms that's an easy way to find a like-minded person. I'm guessing you commute. The only way I can see making in class friends is just making small talk with people in your close proximity and seeing if it leads to anything or by joining a study group if that's a thing.
>>
>>17683850
No clubs of interest. Closest one is the anime club, but I dabble and its dedicated to weebs who jerk off to hentai. And a few people in the club I have serious issues with from highschool and don't want to go near.
I can look into it more, but I don't think there's many.

And yeah...I felt that way.
There's a guy who sits in the far back of ome of my classrs and I don't want to come off as flirting with him, but he seems kind of cool. (He moved here and was in the army I think?)
Another guy seems cool too (talked about diving in Japan while abroad), but I saw a possible wedding/engagement ring, and again I don't want to come off as flirting. They both just seem genuinely interesting.
I could always small talk with girls by complimenting their hair/makeup? But I'm beta. Help pls
>>
>>17683865
>I dabble and its dedicated to weebs who jerk off to hentai.
I find this funny because the weebs at the anime club in my college only watch surface level stuff. I'd personally suggest experimenting with meetup or something though. It's pretty garbage too where I live but I heard it's better in other places.
>>
>>17683896
The weebs here are very...cringey. They are just awkward, and not in my way. Where they're overweight guys who come up to girls and hug them and think it's ok to send them dick pics. And yes, referring to more than one creep in the anime club.

I live in an old people metropolis. Most groups on meet up seem targeted for parents and elderly people. I saw one for gaming but it was for like...extreme advanced gamers. I know I'd feel stupid and out of place if I went.
My mom offered to go to a meetup with me, but usually whenever I go to events with my parents I just follow them around and don't talk to anyone and listen to their conversations. So I feel this would be counterproductive.
Maybe I'll check harder. Are there any groups in general you think people in their teens and twenties would go to?
>>
Best way to make new friend in college? Good weed.
>>
File: 4e9.gif (1MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
4e9.gif
1MB, 600x338px
>>17683786
>I'm not new here

Well then you're either new and/or autistic.
>>
>>17683910
>I live in an old people metropolis. Most groups on meet up seem targeted for parents and elderly people. I saw one for gaming but it was for like...extreme advanced gamers. I know I'd feel stupid and out of place if I went.
I live by one of the stereotypical hipster leftist cities. I checked out meetup and it was just full of shit revolving around poly dating and LGBT stuff. I'd gladly make that trade.

Either way I'd first focus on something that actually engages you. Start with some mutual interest to talk about, and a rapport is easy to build.
>>
Are your initials MER?
>>
>>17683865
>>17683910
>make local friends online
>meet up irl
>if your folks ask questions, tell them you met one on-campus and now you're part of the group.

It's the 21st century, making friends the old fashioned way is a thing of the past. Not everyone grows up lucky that their best friend lives right next door.

I also had overprotective parents and they really fucked up my social life. I even had high school friends warning me that the level of obsession with my safety was borderline abusive. I didn't understand then because they had me pretty brainwashed but now I do.

The important thing here is that regardless of how your social situation goes, you need to stay focused on your college work and study until you know your information well. (sorry for the nagging but hey, it's /adv/.)
>>
>>17683921
Daww, look at this little newfag trying to look cool and fit in on a board that has a completely different culture than he's used to.
>>
>>17683937
Poly dating meet up sounds like slangfor orgy party lol. And LGBT doesn't sound too bad, but I'm imagining it's the special snowflake type.
Okay. I guess I'll meet with some local moms at the next essential oil meetup. Haha

Thank you! Should I be concerned if it's a topic I don't know much about?

>>17683947
Thanks. My classes are pretty easy, I have all A's.
I know.how.importsnt grades are, but having a social life is very important to my mental health at this point. I can't go on being isolated.

And where would I meet locals online?
>>
File: Welp.png (366KB, 480x340px) Image search: [Google]
Welp.png
366KB, 480x340px
>>17683950
At least I have friends
>>
Just put name as OP to avoid confusion

>>17683913
I've never smoked weed. I've been too afraid of my parents smelling it on me.
They thought I did in middle school when I had a lighter in my backpack, but it was honestly because I read online some list of things you need to have on you at all times and a lighter was on the list.

>>17683921
I've already think I'm cancer autism, but not for the reasons you think.
>advice board
>gets shamed for providing background info when asking for life advice
Ba dum tss
>>
I'll help you if you tell me your initials
>>
>>17683966
My initials aren't MER (:
>>
File: 1458695819787.png (844KB, 719x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1458695819787.png
844KB, 719x1280px
>>17683850
You're a cunt.

>>17683947
Also, a cunt.

>>17683958
OP, are you in a dorm? What year in college?
>>
>>17683976
No dorm. Doing my AA at shit hole (so no real campus community) and then transferring to a good uni for bachelor's. Freshman.
>>
File: 420.jpg (334KB, 1500x2300px)
420.jpg
334KB, 1500x2300px
>>17683958
Fine I'll give explain the autism comment.

>two best friends severed ties with me for petty reasons
This doesn't happen to "best friends." Either this has been building up for years and you never noticed it (autism) or you're conveniently leaving out details that would ruin your character. I choose the former since I'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt at least once.

>bf not taking it seriously
You're conflating advice with emotional support. You need to explicitly tell him this because he probably doesn't understand you right now. Things will get better and you will move on, but I understand that you need someone to cuddle with. Ask him to do that for you. Just make sure he understands that you understand his advice.

What I can't understand is your difficulty approaching people. While I'm a die hard introvert, I've never had problems making new friends, meeting new people, or starting conversation. Here's a tip, the longer you're around them with no conversation the more awkward it gets if you ever start. They'll be like
>wtf it's week 7 who's this bitch?
Start soon or not at all.

I've obly made a handful of friends in classes/labs but made tons outside. People are generally happier and more sociable outside of the classroom setting since a lot of people either have a friend in the class they know or are just their to go full study mode. Not saying it's impossible, or even uncommon, but if you're shy you'll need as much of an advantage as possible.

The easiest approach is something like
>Hey you like x? I also like x. Let's be friends.

Obviously don't say that word for word, but things really are that simple. Even if you do come off as weird that may make for a funny story years from now.
>>
File: Cersei.jpg (28KB, 320x220px)
Cersei.jpg
28KB, 320x220px
>>17683986
Comm college is hard. I am at a commuter school, grad school soon. At an awesome 4 year before.

Strategies:

After a challenging test where ppl are like FML, bring up "yeah me too(even if you did well). I could use a drink".

In general, there needs to be a feeling of comradery before social events start (partying).

Anytime ppl band together after class (which is rare at comm college/commuter school), stick around, let it be known your down to get fucked up w.out appearing thirsty, almost like you have something better to do.

My something better to do is drink by myself. lol
>>
>>17683954
Well, there are blatant methods like FB but if your situation is anything like mine was there's plenty of people you know on there that you don't want to deal with. It takes longer but what worked for me was just making a twitter/ig/tumblr and befriending people I liked and got along well with over time. Eventually if you get close enough everyone shares where y'all are from so you can see if you live closeby or not. I ended up hosting a few parties at my place for the group I got involved in and I still talk to several people in that circle.

If you want to engage with people around you, try Yik Yak. It's also anonymous, but you can only see posts of people within a 5 mile radius of you. Some areas are cool, some are really shit. It could go either way.
>>
>>17683999
>>17683976
>an alcoholic trying to tell OP to go socialize at bars after she's stated that her parents nearly killed her just because they thought she was smoking pot

I think you're missing a few brain cells there, bud.
>>
File: Nigel Farage.jpg (94KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Nigel Farage.jpg
94KB, 640x360px
>>17684013
Uh, all of our parents are that way. We are on 4chan, dipshit.

Don't get caught. Alcohol doesn't smell unless you dump it all over. A person's first year should be a magical year.

OP, it'll take time to before you find yourself in the "comradery" scenario. Its early mid semester. Keep your eyes open.
>>
File: Navier Stokes Equation.jpg (67KB, 946x367px) Image search: [Google]
Navier Stokes Equation.jpg
67KB, 946x367px
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are talking about making college friends, not what people's fucking parents think.
>>
>>17683998
I don't want to get into the friendship or boyfriend thing.
Friend A is in love with someone I dislike so she felt the need to tell people I'm a whore who fucks anyone, despite knowing I've had sex with one person (not my current bf), friend B resents me because her boyfriend is a druggie and I told it to her face.
It was a slow falling out. I tried to mend it, eventually it was clear they didn't want to be friends anymore, and I've moved onto another part of my life.

My boyfriend cannot give emotional support. You don't know the details, this thread isn't about the details.
The relationship is dying. Maybe I'll make a thread about it later, but for now this is about me making friends.

And you're right. It is halfway through the course. I'll try the approach, but I'm unsure about approaching the guys as previously mentioned.

>>17683999
That's dumb advice.
I am not going to illegally get drunk to make friends.

>>17684004
Yeah, I don't have a facebook or instagram. I have a twitter, tumblr, and snapchat. I only use snapchat for actually communicsting, but it's just with a small handful of online friends over the years and people I went to highschool with.

Thanks for the advice on the app, I've never heard of it. I'll look into that.
>>
I'm ranting here, but I'd pick up beer for people if they wanted to enjoy "happy hour" with me after a test who were underage.
>>
>>17684036
Well, this just became a boyfriend issue, not a friends issue.
>>
>>17684018
>>17684025
Sorry guys, but I'm not going to drink. I have done it before with an ex, and I blacked out and it was a whole thing.
It's not a good idea for me, and I am not comfortable doing it.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n68qkc5JsX1reux9a.gif (992KB, 450x252px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n68qkc5JsX1reux9a.gif
992KB, 450x252px
>>17684036
Apologies, a comm college issue
>>
File: adv_bingo_v2.png (142KB, 800x900px)
adv_bingo_v2.png
142KB, 800x900px
>>17684036
>I don't want to get into the important details relevant to the topic that I brought up

I get bingo everyday.
>>
>>17684041
>>17684045
Do you want me to talk about my boyfriend? I just figured it wasn't super relevant. I just brought it up in OP because he's been my only friend for a while.
>>
>>17684047
No but as I said earlier, friends don't just cut things off over little shit. You were either missing the signs or a part of it.
>>
>>17684047
I mean super relevant as in to the point where I get advice on my relationship and what I should do with it ITT.
>>
>>17684051
Are you referring to my friends or boyfriend? With friends A and B, we were growing apart in highschool. They got boyfriends amd stopped socializing with me as much. Eventually they only talked to me when they had issues with their boyfriends or wanted something from me.
It didn't happen immediately, but the straw that broke the camels back was petty BS.
Make sense?
>>
>>17684045
>Oh look Pegasus is shitposting again
I laughed the fuck out loud.
>>
File: Soulstorm Brew.jpg (87KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Soulstorm Brew.jpg
87KB, 600x600px
>>17684047
You do you, and keep a lookout for the "camaraderie" thing. I made my best friends in college through it.
>>
>>17684057
I know this will probably sound stupid and is irrelevant, but what's a pegasus?

>>17684058
Thank you! I really want that with someone.
>>
Do something useful, get over it, and stop being an attentionwhore.
>>
>>17684056
>It didn't happen immediately, but the straw that broke the camels back was petty BS.

This is what I'm saying though. It seems like you had already moved on before you stopped being their friend. Maybe reflect on that before you blindly go looking for more companions.

You're also newfag af for not knowing what peg is.
>>
File: Skyy Vodka.jpg (84KB, 1070x903px) Image search: [Google]
Skyy Vodka.jpg
84KB, 1070x903px
>>17684065
It takes time. Freshmen year can definitely be a lil awkward. Be out going.

NEVER comprise your moral/ethical compass. People who respect your shit, also, in certain sense, deserve our respect. . Also, don't be too judgmental. ;)

Bc my soul is a stormin'. hahaha
>>
>>17684079
*your respect lol
>>
>had friends
>have had boyfriends
>thinks she's an autistic outcast and socially awkward
Nope
You're just an attentionwhore.

The world doesn't revolve around you.
>>
File: US UK flag comic.png (44KB, 824x600px) Image search: [Google]
US UK flag comic.png
44KB, 824x600px
>>17684085
No. It revolves around me.
>>
>>17684072
I just want advice to help fix my social life. This is /adv/. For advice.
If I were an attentionwhore, I'd be on /soc/.

>>17684079
>vodka
i c u anon
I'm not judgemental, I just don't want to blackout and wake up naked. Why would I drink when I know it's putting myself in that situation I don't want?
Sorry if that's not what you implied though.

But thanks. I've been tryinf hard lately not to sacrifice myself too much for others.
>>
>>17684085
My boyfriends weren't met through school. I met them online, but they are local.
>>
>>17684091
That's the best advice. Get over it. Your boyfriend is right. Some cunts who called themselves your friends foul mouthing you is not the end of the world. Friends come and go, and sometimes itt takes time for them to show their true colors. What you want as a fix is attention though, but that won't help. All you will get is more superficial friendships. Respect the people who love you, and focus on doing something useful and creating value. Good lifelong friendships will come along the way.

You are cancer, but I respect you because you realized you were.
>>
>>17684093
Regardless, you have a functioning social life and you're not an autist.
>>
>>17684091
Don't drink yourself to blackout, Just use alcohol as social lube, to ease the tension.
>>
File: bad habits.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bad habits.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
What the fuck is this met online local shit?

You have way more in common with people with whom you are going through the same strenuous shit with. *school*

Make lots of acquaintances, make friends from that, over common --whatever the fuck that is--.

Find people with common goals, common interests. They should be, roughly, in the classes or major of your choice.
>>
File: 1459468960132.png (523KB, 1111x597px) Image search: [Google]
1459468960132.png
523KB, 1111x597px
>>17684143
This
>>
>>17683954
>And LGBT doesn't sound too bad, but I'm imagining it's the special snowflake type.
Well I mean, shit like "gaymer gaming" doesn't exactly work out for your average straight man. It's why I don't do my college clubs, too much emphasis on identity politics.

>Should I be concerned if it's a topic I don't know much about?
Maybe if the person is a try hard. As long as you actually are interested and try to learn most people will be pretty reasonable.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.