[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are video games a total waste of time? Lately I feel like even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: SFII.jpg (719KB, 1280x1536px) Image search: [Google]
SFII.jpg
719KB, 1280x1536px
Are video games a total waste of time?

Lately I feel like even starting a game is a chore. I can rarely make it past the opening hours of anything. I'm seriously considering selling my entire collection. I feel like my free time is better spent doing exercise, practicing an instrument, reading, or simply hanging out with people. Video games seem like a pointless activity.

I don't mean to insult gamers, I was one for years. I'm trying to ask if anyone has been through this funk and gotten out of it, or if I should just move on.
>>
What if you took a break /without/ selling the games?
>>
It is, if you're not enjoying it. If you don't find any joy in it then yeah, you should obviously look for something else.
>>
>>17680282

Technically anything is a waste of time since we're all going to die anyway.

Just do what you want to do.
>>
>>17680282
I get a similar feeling from time to time. You're probably just burnt out on video games and need a little break.

Dink around with another hobby for a while and see what happens, no need to sell your entire collection!
>>
>>17680289

mostly this. don't make it an all or nothing situation if it doesn't have to be.

if you're not enjoying it, then yeah its a waste of time (and money). but if you enjoy it, then... well you get enjoyment out of it.

stop playing video games, and pick up one of those other hobbies you talked about. you might find that after the sun sets and you complete said hobby you need something to do to 'unwind'.

thats what video games and TV and such should be really. thats what made them great. a braek from school and chores and all that.

but you probably had days even as a kid where you woke up, didnt have school and just played video games all day and by the end of it were sick of it. it was zombie mode, just going through the motions.

that can happen if you grow up and feel unfulfilled by just your job or schooling.

keep em for if oyu need em. if you dont use em for three months, then go sell em
>>
I've been trying to quit for awhile. Trying to wean myself down. After awhile you realise games just aren't mentally challenging. Just a series of prompts to do things and the right thing gives you happy sounds and lights.

My problem is im addicted to competitive games like street fighter and dota. I find single player games to be like popup picture books you read alone. I also like the social aspect but more and more my friends don't play anymore.

But competitive games are really no better. You sink hundreds of hours developing skills that are ultimately useless in the real world.

Quit if you can.
>>
>>17680282
if youre not getting paid for it yeah
>>
>>17680282
Dude all those hours you could have been masturbating lost like tears in the rain.
>>
Learn to play music! It's fun, not too hard, expressive, and a good friend during those lonely, dreary days. Music helped me quit gaming, except as a once in awhile thing with friends. I just don't get interested in it anymore. Doesn't excite me the way it used to. Ever since giving up gaming, I've gotten back hours of my life that would've normally been spent staring at a screen, manipulating a graphical interface for a pointless sense of self-satisfaction. Playing music is actually cool, and will (may) get you attractive women. Playing video games will get you unattractive, antisocial women, if any. Don't bother with it.
>>
>>17680436
> Playing music is actually cool, and will (may) get you attractive women

Stop lying. It doesn't work unless you get famous for it like Mick Jagger
>>
File: Toon World.png (509KB, 544x544px) Image search: [Google]
Toon World.png
509KB, 544x544px
I'm in my mid-20s. Most of my friends have stopped playing video games. Some use them as a crutch to avoid new social situations or going out of their comfort zone. Others enjoy playing online competitively. I have a friend who plays old NES games because he says they're easy to jump into and play in short bursts.

I think in general it depends on what you expect from video games. When you do something like practice a team sport, a martial art, an instrument, a craft, you can achieve something that is your own creation which you can share with other people. It's a much more social phenomenon as well, and you may even get to meet people along the way and forge bonds with them.

With single-player games, you basically just reach the goal and pat yourself on the back for it. And with multi-player games, at least I guess you can make some friends.

I think it's nice to use video games as a way to let off steam, but some people treat it like a serious job and that's a problem, because you're not going to get anything very rewarding out of them.

No offense to people who play video games. I know how butthurt some dudes can get about this.
>>
>>17680282
I'm in the same situation OP. I used to love games, played them obsessively. If I wasn't hanging out with friends or working I was playing a game. Then I got my own apartment and started school. Got to the point where I hardly ever play games. Now I'd rather listen to music or watch a stimulating movie.

I still play games occasionally, I'm just a lot more picky and casual now. I've started tons of games that I gave up after a few hours
>>
i'm the same way i used to game constantly and now i never do. it is just as interesting as watching paint dry at this point.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.