[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the journey of being a chef worth it in the end with its low

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Is the journey of being a chef worth it in the end with its low starting pay? Is anyone here a sous chef or line cook at least and wants to give impressions or stories?

Why I am curious is that I have always been an office worker and am hungry to actually have a skill people want to look to me for. Nobody is like "wow show me how to save 3 seconds on filing TPS reports" but maybe if I became a chef they would want me to bake them mindblowing foods.

NOTE: I have no experience cooking on any job.
>>
>>17679250

heres the thing, being a chef kinda sucks. we all imagine it as a nice relaxing job where you're just cooking stuff, but to be honest its a high speed high stress job where you cook the same shit every fucking day and always work horrible fucking hours.

and you dont need to be a chef in order to cook well.

i make things like chicken alfredo from scratch and my friends adore me for it. im not a chef but i know my way around the kitchen. our generation thinks that meatloaf or home made burgers are too complex.

just take some cooking classes, look for some recipes, dont cheat by cutting out stuff and you'll be fine.

dont get a job based on whether or not people will want you to also do it for free. its not like on friends where monica just sits there talking to her co worker while slowly stirring some sauce, and then comes home with enough energy to cook for 5 more assholes.

do you want to come home from work and be expected to cook something just as decadent but without the help of your employees doing the grunt work?
>>
>>17679258
Thank you anon this post really helped. I think that I just want to do cooking classes now more, I already did some research but wanted just to read someones take on it.

Yeah getting about 10 years experience and 4 years culinary school seems really terrible for the work. Its like becoming a doctor but with less prestige and salary.
>>
>>17679250
>Fighting management to make decent quality dishes
>Management say "you can only charge X amount but we want to maximise profits"
>Making orders on time is stressful, you can be working on 4 dishes at once
>Special orders from the fucking idiots who say "I like this dish but I want it made without X and replacing with Y" then complain that they didn't enjoy the dish after I took the cream/meat out of it
>Idiots calling during rush hour in to ask if you can make them a vegan dish before they arrive, if you could buy things so they can have a vegan dish, or if you can wash fucking everything just so their food avoids all animal products
>Unsociable hours
>Can't be arsed to eat when you get home
>No time to see your wife and kids
>Wife and kids expect restaurant quality food on your days off every meal of the day
>Booking time off is a ball ache because you have to trust whoever is holding the forst
>Management think their tastes reflect their customers' tastes, trying to change the menu to food they exclusively enjoy
>Cleaning/stock check is a bitch
>Incredibly little recognition for your work
>"Can you make this dish" but they don't know what it was or what was in it
>"Can I swap the vegetables for more steak?"
>Waiters and waitresses bring all kinds of drama into the work place
>Working early/late so you can prepare food
Ask yourself if you could handle putting up with that sort of thing on a daily basis.

Very, very few chefs actually make it "big", many chefs end up working in a mid range restaurant putting food in the microwave or boiling it, or they start up their own restaurant and realise they can't manage a restaurant and cook in it, or that they can't find a decent manager who will give them free reign, meaning you just end up bank rolling a business someone else dictates.
>>
>>17679250

Is that bitch stirring a bowl of plain rice?
>>
OP, it's low starting pay, and low ending pay.

It's not a high paying career unless you have formal training, and a lot of experience and certifications.

Unlike some careers, with cooking it's the 1% that makes good money.
>>
>>17680100
... yes

It's just photo op
>>
I was a sous chef. it was cool and exciting for like 6 months, and then it all went to shit. didn't help that the business started stagnating

don't do it unless food is literally all you can think about
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.