[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I mentioned to my parents that i wanted to cycle down to my friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1475938901107.jpg (480KB, 1600x1038px) Image search: [Google]
1475938901107.jpg
480KB, 1600x1038px
I mentioned to my parents that i wanted to cycle down to my friends house 15 mins down the road and they told me i couldnt; they want me to stay in the house tonight and its too late. Is this controlling of them? What should i do? Im 20 and a college student.
>>
Depends on why they want you to stay home. They could have a valid reason.
>>
>>17676091

Grow up, get a job and move out.
>>
>>17676093
They probably don't want him shooting heroin
>>
>>17676093

They say its too dark out and it'll be dangerous cycling. Its bs in my opinion because i cycle home from college at night every weekday. My dad says it will be worse on sunday because people dont pay attention when they drive or some shit.

I feel like theyre giving me excuses for this situation, but id get the same thing if i asked any day this late. Id be home by 11.30 if i went. I live in a relatively safe area.
>>
>>17676111
That sounds perfectly fair, to be honest. How about asking one of them for a ride or something?
>>
>>17676119

My dad offered one but I want to be more independent than that.

I might just make up for it by going straight from college on a weekday.
>>
>>17676091
>Is this controlling of them?
Of course, lol. This is authority. The question you should ask yourself whether it's legitimate authority. It's probably not. They are legally (and in my opinion morally) obligated to provide for you until you got your education(1) and I think they are entitled to impose limits on your actions if they can show that these actions have unreasonable impacts on their life. You going to visit your friends has zero inherently unreasonable impacts on their life.
Any claim for parental control as it is exerted over a child is mute when you're 20. That's like 4 years over the age of consent here. Age of consent means you're free to mind your own business (instead of them minding your business, is it's done with children).

(1) or at least they would be here, a central european country. The other limit is being 25 years old.

>>17676111
>>17676119
Wether or not it is unreasonably dangerous to do that is irrelevant imho, it is your decision to make this ride (even if it is dangerous), and not theirs.
>>
>>17676130
You want to be independent, so living at home with your parents is okay, but accepting a ride is not?
>>
>>17676142
>Wether or not it is unreasonably dangerous to do that is irrelevant imho, it is your decision to make this ride (even if it is dangerous), and not theirs.
Uh, not if they're his parents and care about his safety. Are you some sort of sociopath or something?
>>
>>17676168

I want to be as independant as i can. I'm trying to get a steady job so I can move out by the time i hit my next year in college, and I'm making as much money as i can to help out financially with the family.
>>
>>17676190
Just take the ride, you're acting like a child but not doing so because 'muh principles'
>>
>>17676198
*by not doing so
>>
>>17676198

My dad is usually asleep by that time, and he wakes up at 6.30 for work. I dont want to fuck him over to watch a movie.
>>
>>17676214
Then go another time or learn to drive. You said you want to be independent, don't you? Or would you rather he was woken up by police telling him that his son's been hit by a careless driver?
>>
>>17676220

I passed my theory test last week. I'm getting the documents together this week to progress with the license.

I think everyones given constructive input though. I decided to reschedule for tomorrow. It IS controlling but all in all theyre doing it because they care, and theyre still providing for me so they should have that say. Gonna work up to it, though, because i know if they were used to it happening often they actually wouldnt care,and because its a liberty i want to have, and i feel is fair for me to have.
>>
>>17676111
Then go by foot lmao, thats just plain bullshit what they tell you. You have a cellphone they can check on you if they are super worried.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.