[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/biz/ seems too wrapped up talking about other shit at the moment,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1462202794825.gif (2MB, 300x161px) Image search: [Google]
1462202794825.gif
2MB, 300x161px
/biz/ seems too wrapped up talking about other shit at the moment, so I guess Ill ask here as well.
>Okay, so this is kinda /biz/ related I suppose. Im sure most people at least somewhat well versed in business know that the big boys at the top are all very effective speed readers. Whats the best way to go about learning this skill? Ive done a little research, but it would seem that most programs are locked behind a fucking paywall.

>tl;dr
>Redpill me on speed reading.
>>
I'm quite a fast reader so I can offer you what I think.
I'm no expert nor am I any sort of teacher.
But here goes.

Anyways, the bottom line is learning how to see words not as groups of letters but as single units.

It starts with basic words like "the" "and" "to" and all pronouns.
You don't see each letter, you see the whole word as one thing.

When you can do that, you can filter them out and see only verbs and nouns.
If you can do that, you can read a whole page in a few seconds.

That's the bottom line. Letters are for children. Words are how you actually read.

On a side note, you can find speed reading programs that flash words at you, so you can learn how they look quickly.
>>
>>17674064
Yeah, thats kind of what i was reading, and watching on youtube. What website or whatever can I go to that does this? Also out of curiosity, about how fast can you read wpm wise?
>>
>>17674089
Googling says that "Spritz" is a thing, but it doesn't seem to line up with what I'm saying.
That seems to derive reading speed by aligning words and reducing the amount of eye movement.

I'm talking about more seeing the entire word and then page as a unit to be understood.

I can't really tell you how many wpm I read, but I can read 100+ pages an hour if I'm just reading for fun and paying attention
>>
>>17674103
Hmm, so it seems manual practice is pretty much my only option then, not about to jeopardize my ability to read a physical text.

First off, ive been doing exercises with my textbook to get my eyes used to moving that quickly over and over again. So far, i got through a 40 page chapter in about 40 minutes or so, but retained very little. I presume that comprehension comes after your brain becomes able to cope with it?

That's really impressive, there are a couple of places that you can find out if it suits your fancy. One you can find by looking up "Staples reading speed" on google.
>>
>>17674119
Practice makes perfect.
That childhood alliteration isn't wrong.

Keep going for it. Try to focus on nouns. Articles are useless until something doesn't make sense.

If you're dealing with textbooks, I used to learn by writing down every new word I saw.
Write it and define it on pen and paper.

Physically do that helps you retain it after.
Once it's catalogued in your mind, you can skim it and have the tag show up underneath your conscious mind.
>>
>>17674119

Not the poster you're replying to, but my method for speed reading is essentially focusing on the first sentence of the paragraph, and the last. I scan the middle really quickly, but any writer worth their salt should begin with their point, and end with their conclusion. The middle are things that aren't necessary to the overall message.

I think there is some degree of natural ability to reading, though... I'll get an email and read it about as fast as I can sneeze. I think most of my practice came from posting on message boards all my life.

Patting myself on the back there, but eh.
>>
>>17674135
Backing this guy up.

First/last sentence works pretty well for published papers.
It's how academics structure paragraphs. At least they should. Most academic papers are written by autistic troglodytes.

And message board shit, I'm down with that.
Fucking 15 years doing this shit.
It's some kind of hell.
>>
>>17674124
Alright, that's pretty straight forward, I appreciate the help friend. Its a shame im learning this shit at 22, I could have used this like 6 years ago.

>>17674135
Yeah, i did read somewhere that some people kinda figure out how to speed read on their own. I probably was never really pushed to the point where i actually felt like I had to speed up significantly. Now that Im in collage though, it is starting to become a necessity. Good input though, ill take that into account.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.