[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is getting out of my mechanical engineering program (I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Is getting out of my mechanical engineering program (I'm a Junior) to go to Trade school to get my associates and lvl 1 Certificate to become an HVAC Technician a good idea?

I'm 22 and have a year of Research and work experience and I don't think graduating when I'm 24 and not having very much experience is going to be good for me with the STEM job market.
>>
>>17667914
>>17667914
Also I can the associates and the cert in about a year or so while getting experience as well
>>
>>17667914
Stick with school.
>>
>>17667918
I fucking suck at school and getting no real world experience
>>
>>17667914
>I fucking suck at school

Well, then take a break if you're doing poorly. Going to a trade is a good idea and a good way to get real world exp.

However, you're already in your junior year and you have a year of research exp. I'd recommend just buckling down and finishing. Starting pay of mech eng is much better than HVAC

But I know how you feel. I'm doing horribly in college rn. Not because it's hard, but because I just don't care at all. Going to withdraw and take a break, do electrician training, get real world exp, then maybe go back in the future for EE if I want

I'd recommend trying to get an internship and just finishing. Take a break and regain focus if you want. If you're doing poorly, you need to ask if you're giving 100% effort and if you desire being an engineer. Yes = mech eng is not for you. No = take a break and think things through
>>
>>17667965
It's just school is really pissing me off to the extent that I don't feel like making the sacrifices because I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of things if I pour everything into trying to become an engineer and makes me depressed to see a lot of other people getting super A's. But I can't be successful if I don't pour in everything. When I do pour in everything it still doesn't work. how the fuck am I opposed to compete?

I'm starting to think that Engineering is not for me too and maybe I just might like trades more due to working with my hands and being more active. But I don't want Be stuck down the line where it limits my advancement of my career.
>>
>>17667998
I know what you mean. Right now I feel depressed and the knowledge I'm getting from college feels useless. Actually, I'm learning nothing and gaining no real world practical knowledge, which is why I'm taking a break.

If you're giving 100% and you just hate the experience, then that's okay. Even though going to college is a social norm, it's not for everyone, and trades are a good alternative. Especially if you like hands on work. But keep in mind that you don't need straight As to get a job as an engineer. You only really need at least a 3.0 GPA and experience. If you can't do that, then now might not be the right time or you're just not made for eng.

Not having a degree will definitely hurt your chances of advancement and you will "cap out" much faster. But you don't need to JUST be a tech or journeyman. You can start your own business and be a contractor. You can do things on the side and gain new skills i.e. teach yourself code. There are ways you can make yourself useful. Chances are you can teach yourself much, much more by not being in college. You just need the determination to read books, self-teach.
>>
File: 1475653044186.png (200KB, 540x409px) Image search: [Google]
1475653044186.png
200KB, 540x409px
>>17667914
No absolutely false. I'm a junior in mech E too. I think it would be a huge mistake...a bachelor's of science will get more respect from Mrs HR lady than a trade degree. It might be different if you hadn't paid for 2 years or school or built up research experience, but at this point, hang with it a bit longer and cash out when you graduate
>>
>>17667914

Tradesmen can make a lot of money after a relatively short training period. They are always in demand too (relative to your area, many experienced tradesmen are retiring in the current job market). Blue collar jobs will absolutely destroy your body by your 50's though. The work environments are also less safe.

If I was in your position I would stay with the STEM degree. You already have the work experience which will drastically improve your chance at landing a great job.
>>
>>17667998
if you got the smarts and focus i'd say stick with school. Being an engineer is something to hang a hat on at the end of the day.

I was never a head in the books kind of guy so I stuck to working. I have a house and a girl and a couple of dogs now but if I was able to study and finish something a lot of the things I had to workeep my ass off for might've been easier phiscally.

hard work does pay off but whoever said that don't think about career day laborers . You got to work hard but with a strategy and smartly or you might end up working your assistance off your whole life
>>
>>17667917
Where do you live where a certification only takes a year? In the US you need at least 4-5 years of work experience to become a certified HVAC journeyman. I also think it might take you a little longer than a year to get an associate's degree in it. I understand you're in engineering but they're two completely different fields and I can't see your credits carrying over.

Anyway, I'm a refrigeration mechanic. It's interesting work, but I'm on call a lot. As long as you don't mind runs at 3 am on a Sunday you were expecting to sleep in on, it's pretty cool. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
>>
>>17668493
Texas there in such a high demand that the associates and certificate (level 1) came earned if you take a full load for a year including holidays. The classes are EPA proved too.
>>
>>17668300
I'm not fucking learning anything dude and the research experience I had a graduate just did everything and I had to bullshit a paper about it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.