[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long should one person take in order to learn multiple programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: mergeSort.gif (41KB, 540x369px) Image search: [Google]
mergeSort.gif
41KB, 540x369px
How long should one person take in order to learn multiple programming languages and is able to write many different applications, like an ide, data structures, and GUI's?
>>
you need to sit down and start coding, that is the only way you will learn.
>>
>>17663113
Depends on your experience with programming previously.
If you have zero experience it would probably take close to six month to get to that level of proficiency studying by your own.
If you already have experience programming it should take you about 1 to 2 months to learn a language properly.
>>
>>17663147
Not OP, but ths advice has always seemed paradoxical. You need to code to learn a language, but you need to learn rhe language to code.
>>
how many hours a day should I study, I have a little knowledge, but I haven't been doing anything with this little knowledge
>>
>>17663160
Just learn one language fluently, then you can pick up any other languages in like a couple months.

Would recommend C++ or C#
>>
>>17663172
I already fell for the c++ meme and failed miserably at it, I have learn java and python
>>
The best advice is that you focus in something you want to do and go ahead and do it.
Just learning random aspect of a language won't be of any use if you aren't applying it in something you are invested on.
>>
>>17663175
>java
What a waste of time, that inefficient shit will be obsolete in the next decade or so.
>>
>>17663113
for you ? 10 years
>>
I can't give you a time for making an IDE or GUI because it depends on the application. Obviously the Steam GUI is a lot more flashy than the Wordpad GUI.

It's hard to say how long it'll take from the basics to GUIs too, because I don't know how long you'll take being stuck with basic syntax and object concepts. What I can say is that the time from nothing->objects is about the same as the time from objects->functional GUIs. So not very long really.

>>17663159
It's assumed that they know the very basics and then will just dive in and figure out things step by step. Every thing can be broken down into steps until it's solvable. The "basics" which are assumed are things like the usual data types, operations and loops. Kind of like how in maths you need to know what adding and multiplication is, no matter what symbols are used for them.
>>
>>17663191
it's just not web-scale. kek
>>
>>17663204
Okay because I know the basics for C++ and Java but feel like I couldn't acrually make anything with them
>>
>all these "self-taught" master coders

What do you want to do? If you want to make it part of your profession you need to study it. Otherwise you will just remain a tinkerer.
>>
>>17663218
What do you actually want to make? don't be too specific eg. "windows application with a menu bar/buttons/images" is general enough.

What have you read about making the above thing?
>>
>>17663226
The C++ was from a required class and I'm not sure what I'd actually like to make with it, but the java was just looking up the basics and going onto sites like codecademy. It's not as through but I can always learn more.

Anyways, I want to make my own apps. It seems fun because you can make something fun just for your friends or something, plus I hear that there's a pretty good market out there.

It just seems like knowing java and actually using something to make apps like android studio are miles apart.
>>
>>17663268
Took me a second to realise you meant mobile apps, we call all sorts of things apps.

You get started by literally going through the getting started page: https://developer.android.com/studio/projects/create-project.html

Reading around there will teach you different things. You can look up most things you want to do, research stuff. You wont have a tutorial for most things, but to get started on the Android API it's fine.
>>
>>17663159
not really.
you can learn and understand the basics and build upon that
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.