[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/ I've decided to get a PhD, but I'm not sure in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: marriagephd.gif (49KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
marriagephd.gif
49KB, 600x750px
/adv/ I've decided to get a PhD, but I'm not sure in what.

Background without getting too personal:

>Graduating in December from public uni, top 60 overall, top 20 public
>Just shy of 3.6 GPA
>GRE: 167 Verbal, 160 Quant, Writing TBD
>Neuro major, double minor in Chem and Bio
>2.5 years in regenerative medicine lab, 2 posters (1st and 4th author), no pubs
>Ongoing education research until I graduate, about a semester total, posters/pubs extremely unlikely
>Was in 2 clubs, served 1 officer position in one and 3 in the other
>100-150 hours of volunteering at my uni's hospital
>70 hours of shadowing in physiatry, neurosurgery, and neurology from when I used to be pre-med, but I've decided MD isn't right for me

To my knowledge the only decent-paying life science PhDs are BME and pharmacology (correct me if I'm wrong, as I wouldn't mind a neuro or regenerative medicine PhD if I am). Am I qualified enough for either of these and if so, how high should I aim as far as potential schools?

Thanks.

Pic semi-related.
>>
Why not med school / MD?
>>
>>17660549
If you don't know what you want a phd in, then a phd isn't for you. Phds are for people passionate enough about a subject they are willing to waste their youth getting one. Otherwise you'll just drop out after the first couple years.

I suggest you get a masters first. Much less of a commitment, and it will give you an idea of grad school.

Definitely don't get one for the job prospects. The increased job opportunities /pay is not worth 5-7 years of your life making 15k a year (assuming you get funded).
>>
>>17660598
this. phds are one of the most demanding things you can experience in life. If you're not doing it out of passion it's not worth it.
>>
>>17660580

I find research a lot more interesting/fulfilling than the idea of taking care of patients, and thus would like to be trained in it. Obviously people find the latter more interesting/fulfilling, which is fine.

>>17660598
>>17660613

I'm extremely passionate about science; I struggle to pick a field not out of reluctance, but because they all sound equally enticing. Not going for a PhD to be rich, I live very modestly and am comfortable with it. However, I need to be financially independent and would prefer 2-3k of annual disposable income, so I need to adjust my ideal career path to make that happen.
>>
>>17660627
Is the passion not evident in foregoing a high-paying physician career? My grades aren't good enough for a prestigious American medical school, but they're good enough for AN American medical school.
>>
>>17660627
well then you'll have to make the decision yourself. You have a degree in the field, you've done volunteering, participated in clubs and all that, you know the career prospects in your area and what each phd program entitles better than us. And you definitely know your preferences better than us.
>>
>>17660627
If they all sound equally exciting, just apply to programs in all fields you are considering. No need to decide before you know what your options are.
>>
Don't do it, employment is horrible. source: phd chemist
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.