[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I may have borderline personality disorder. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

I think I may have borderline personality disorder. I've been reading up on it and I have almost all the symptoms. It's probably the reason why I've gone through so many jobs and have never been able to stay at one for more than 6 months. Also why I've never been able to get a girlfriend or have any close friends. But the biggest thing is that I have zero self-esteem and I have no fucking idea who I really am and what I want out of life. And it doesn't look like it's something I'm just going to outgrow, because I just turned 30 and I feel this way more than ever.

But the thing is, I'm really scared to actually get diagnosed, because if it turns out that this is what I really have, I just know it's going to put me in a state of permanent depression that I will never be able to escape. At least now I feel like there's some small hope that it might be something else that I can grow out of. Being diagnosed with BPD sounds like an actual fucking death sentence, based on what I'm reading about it. No cure, no treatment that's guaranteed to work, meds don't do anything for it, something like a 50% chance of ending up perpetually unemployed, 1 in 10 chance of suicide at some point in my life, etc.

What do I do?
>>
In my opinion you should still get yourself diagnosed. Why? Because there is a chance that there is something else and you might be worrying for nothing. Do you really prefer to stay in ignorance and never really know what is happening to you?
>>
>>17658730
I don't really know which is worse. I feel like ignorance could be slightly better because it means I don't really know what's wrong with me and I don't feel like I'm completely doomed. I feel that way about diseases in general. I would rather not know I had cancer until the very late stages, instead of earlier because it would mean I didn't have to suffer with the knowledge of it for as long.
>>
>>17658533
I was formerly diagnosed with Bi-polar, but I believe I actually have borderline- apparently a lot of psychiatrists won't tell you that you have it because it's incurable and symptoms don't usually let up until you're like 40.

Honestly, for the first few months realizing it was depressing as fuck. But for me, it also felt like I'd been constantly trying to untangle this knot that was my mind and someone handed me a sword. It gets easier to recognize your patterns as you get older, easier to ride the waves most of the time.

I would learn as much as possible about it, and take solace in the face that higher executive function usually leads to better outcomes.

As shitty as it feels sometimes, it will get better.
>>
>>17658739

Except mental disorders aren't cancer. Most are easily curable with medication, and the rest can be treated with therapy. The exception are stupid tryhards who think it's cool to say "I'm a self-diagnosed borderline" or "Ignorance is bliss." It's a fucking disease, not a personality feature.
>>
>>17658753
>apparently a lot of psychiatrists won't tell you that you have it
Well fuck, that in and of itself is really scary. How did you find out for sure that that's what you have?
>>
>>17658774
There's a lot of stigma surrounding borderline personality disorder in the psychological community as being "difficult to deal with" so they like to avoid putting the stigma on their patients.

And I've documented my life extensively through journals and drawing books, and I've been going through them for a long time trying to understand the patterns of my mental illness, writing stuff down that mattered and stuff like that.

Finally, a friend of mine called in a moment of crisis and told me had bpd so I did a bunch of research to figure out how to help him, when I realized bpd fit almost all of the patterns I've ever had.
>>
>>17658774
To elaborate, I could confirm with solid evidence that I fit many of the illness features:

Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment
> Makes me suicidal as fuck when I perceive rejection
A pattern of intense and unstable relationships with family, friends, and loved ones, often swinging from extreme closeness and love (idealization) to extreme dislike or anger (devaluation)
>This is called splitting, and is a feature I'm really familiar with. I've documented being blindly in love with someone, drawing them all the time, and obsessing, to a few days later writing about how much they suck, they're shitty people, etc.
Distorted and unstable self-image or sense of self
> In early college I hated being there because I wanted to marry young and have that person decide everything for me, I had a lot of trouble finding my own interests until I forced myself to in my early 20s
Impulsive and often dangerous behaviors, such as spending sprees, unsafe sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, and binge eating
> All of the above, except spending sprees. Although I can drop like 200$ in a day on food and alcohol.
Recurring suicidal behaviors or threats or self-harming behavior, such as cutting
> Yep, scars on my wrist to prove it
Intense and highly changeable moods, with each episode lasting from a few hours to a few days
>Between dysphoria, and a weird manic state, with occasional angry meltdowns in between (usually when I don't get enough sleep)
Chronic feelings of emptiness
Inappropriate, intense anger or problems controlling anger
Having stress-related paranoid thoughts
>I've experienced really embarrassing delusions before. Once I thought a guy I never talked to had this huge crush on me. Also thought a jacket my friend let me borrow was worth hundreds of dollars and told everyone about it.
Having severe dissociative symptoms, such as feeling cut off from oneself, observing oneself from outside the body, or losing touch with reality
>So I drink
>>
File: vinnyvangetthefuckout1.jpg (113KB, 440x556px) Image search: [Google]
vinnyvangetthefuckout1.jpg
113KB, 440x556px
>>17658533
But the good news is, we're in good company.

Angelina Jolie, and this guy.
>>
>>17658533
Marijuana always helps. Just smoke a blunt or something. Trust me, it always helps.
>>
>>17658533
bpd people is whats wrong with the world. fuck you. everything you do will wreak havoc on everyone else, if you havent already noticed. even if you get a therapist they wont be able to fix you because youre so fucked up. do us all non-bpds a favor and off yourself
>>
>>17658533
Take lsd and discover who you are. Helped me
>>
>>17659030
why would you ever say this someone? man, there are really some people struggling. What makes you think this is okay to say?
>>
>>17659030
>>17659047
He's probably met a bad person with bpd. A friend of mine just got his door kicked in by a girl with bpd, and then she straight up lied about it.

Spectrums of the disorder, my friend. You can have bpd and be goodish and fight yourself, or selfish and evil.
>>
>>17659047

Maybe because a lot of the "people struggling" use BPD as an excuse to just be giant cunts to everyone.
>>
>>17659047
put bluntly, ive had first hand experience with them -- no matter how loving, kind or accepting i was, they were hopeless. and no surprise, they didnt change, even with counselling. they ruined my life.
>>
>>17659053

Dude, that's not true at all.

I have bpd and I've really been having a hard time. Today took a fucking toll on me and I'm really at a super low point in my life. I've been a hermit for 15 years. I don't have anyone to be a cunt to. I'm scared of myself so I've locked myself in my room for almost 30 years.

I'll give you that, certain people can take advantage but don't speak in absolutes and generalizations man. I'm really struggling to keep it together. So is OP.
>>
>>17659064
>I have bipolar disorder, but without the manic phase
Sure.
>>
>>17659080
You can be manic without ruining someone else's life. I usually just drink and binge eat until I throw up.
>>
>>17659080
so that's it? You're just going to try and bait me into your games?
>>
>>17659084
>I like to stay indoors and binge on garbage
Being a slob isn't a mental disorder.
>>
>>17659089
why do you keep picking on everyone responding?

Does it make you feel better to be the bully?
>>
>>17659087

The endgame is that you stop trying to defend a made-up disorder and accept that some people are just cunts/slobs.
>>
>>17659080
Best post ITT
>>
>>17659057
why are you holding a grudge against one experience you have towards others who are diagnosed?
>>
>>17659064
You don't have a mental disorder, you're applying labels to yourself to make up for a lack of attention in your childhood. Don't fake mental disorders, cunt.
>>
>>17659092
why do you keep talking in generalizations?
>>
>>17659091
>I'm an asshole AND the victim
This is why nobody takes BPD seriously.
>>
>>17659092
You can be mad if you want. I still get laid more than you do. justbpdthings.jpeg
>>
>>17659098
What's your endgame? I know you're just baiting and using this thread for your ego. Do you feel better about picking on people? What happened in your life that you feel the need to be a bully online?
>>
>>17659103
What are you even talking about? This thread was talking about concern for having a debilitating disorder, and people showing concern, and you rolled up in here and started talking mad shit for whatever pathetic reasons. I'm hiding all your posts now, faggot.

8/10 for getting me to respond.
>>
>>17659100
>Thread about how to apply the most generic "mental disorder" in the entire DSM 5
>B-But I'm different!
I'd stop treating you like everyone else with BPD if you gave a single reason about why you're special.
>>
>>17659112
noone ever said they were. You keep trying to bait and put words in people's mouths.

You're clearly trolling
>>
>>17659116
>Stop generalizing me!
>I never said that I was special
The good news is that you're not bipolar. The bad news is that you're retarded.
>>
I want to weigh on this thread with a quick little blogpost about my experience with mental illness.

>23 y.o. man
>at 20, was manic-depressive
>at 21, was schizotypal
>at 22, was severely depressed
>at 23, experienced onslaught of panic attacks

I promise you that if I went to a doctor and mentioned my symptoms at any of these phases, they would have given me the textbook drugs to fix me.

I never sought treatment for any of this because at each iteration I eventually told myself to snap out of it.

Just the other day I was talking to my doctor about the panic attacks I had a couple of months back. He was ready to put me on SSRIs within a few minutes of me talking. I don't want them because I hate the notion of dependency and messing with brain chemistry.

I am an ambitious, creative person with a sensibility for art, literature, maybe even theater. I have an addictive personality. Part of being this kind of person is that life is going to be unstable, full of phases and changes.

The best solution for me has been to busy myself with things. I know my "triggers" (memes aside) and the key one has got to be boredom. Idle hands are the devil's plaything, as the saying goes... at the risk of sounding corny, I gotta say that it truly is when idling that my demons come out.

My current project for self-improvement is learning how to chill the fuck out. I just don't let my mind move into that zone of "oh shit oh shit I think I'm crazy there's something wrong with me".

Anyway I hope that you can take something from this.

Take care of yourself, you can make it through.
>>
>>17658533
Having been on the other side (abusive relationships with a couple of exs with BPD) I would say that your attitude doesn't really line up with the disease. Untreated borderlines are... really nasty, manipulative people; usually outside of their awareness let alone their control but it characterizes all of their close relationships. Do your friendships usually end up crashing and you feel like it's because everyone betrays you or lets you down or does something to spite you?

It just doesn't seem very borderline to wonder if you're borderline, desu.
>>
>>17658533
You cannot self diagnose yourself with mental disorders. Not only do you not truly understand what they mean (a list of symptoms isn't enough, you could take the list of symptoms and they'd apply to many disorders, or even be normal in certain ways, it's about presentation and behaviours too), but you're also intensely biased. Even the worlds best psychiatrist couldn't accurately diagnose himself, because we all have pre-existing notions of who we are and what's wrong with us, which is never truly accurate.

Personality disorders are even more the case.

>>17658753
>apparently a lot of psychiatrists won't tell you that you have it because it's incurable and symptoms don't usually let up until you're like 40.

Not true. Psychiatrists don't always tell patients if they have it because it can be bad for their recovery, they tend to use it as an excuse, or take it on as an identity (people with the disorder have identity issues), but there's plenty of treatment.DBT in particular.
>>
>>17659181
As right as you are about how you can snap out of disorders somewhat on your own, and its in fact normal to in phases (no disorder is full on all the time forever), you shouldn't say you were things that you diagnosed yourself with.

More likely you just went "Oh, I have this" and got over it, because you never really did. For example, everyone thinks they're severely depressed, but clinically severe MDD is really fucking rare, and hard to treat generally.

Not to take away from your issues, but you can't say how severe you are based on your own experience, you have no frame of reference.
>>
>>17658880
>a friend of mine called in a moment of crisis and told me had bpd
Is this a thing people do? I can't even open to my family let alone "friends"
>>
Im diagnosed: Bipolar disorder, Borderline personality disorder, anxiety disorder, obessive compulsive disorder and insomnia. I work a fulltime job. I seem to manage well after years of intensive therapy. Ive been in psychwards. Plenty of times. Their is hooe. I am off medication though and my symptoms are returning. Get help before you go manic. Nothing is worse than untreated bpd. The help is out their. You just need to take the first step. Good luck op. The fight is real and it is manageable.
>>
>>17658953
Marijuana is not what you want to be doing when you have disorders as serious as these. It can cause psychosis in individuals with mental illness.
>>
Diagnosed with bpd here. OP you're a retard. BPD isn't really a disorder as much as it is a description of shitty coping mechanisms. Getting diagnosed with it is only detrimental. People with BPD only use it as an excuse for shitty behavior and mental health workers don't want to deal with them.

Just get a therapist. Therapy is the only thing that helps. You don't need a diagnosis to get therapy and they probably won't give you one.
>>
>>17659305
Come on mate, someone who has all those diagnoses would absolutely know that BPD has nothing to do with mania.

>>17659312
It doesn't really, just brings out latent psychosis that would have come out anyway. The issue with BPD is that they abuse substances, no matter what they are.

>>17659326
This. It's not something you have, it's something you do, labelled as a disorder for treatment purposes. There's no reason for you to know you have it or to self diagnose it, because people who find out they have it just go "Oh it's not my fault it's my disorder", and identify with it and get worse.

If you wanted to get better, you'd be looking for therapy, not trying to label yourself with shit. Go do DBT, because there's no reason you need to be diagnosed.
>>
>>17659030
>>17659053
>>17659080
>>17659089
>>17659092
>>17659095
>>17659098
>>17659103
>>17659112
>>17659134
Joke's on this samefag. Turns out he's the one with bpd and he just doesn't know it yet.
>>
IF you're committed to taking a really hard look at yourself and are dedicated to changing, the prognosis is really great. If not, you'll probably stay the same.

I used to have the diagnosis, and am happy to say that I've resolved the bulk of my issues, gotten sober, learned how to have stable relationships, and am incredibly happy.

Medication can't do a thing in the world for personality disorders. While it can give you a boost when you're depressed, soothe manic episodes, and quell hallucinations, it can't change your habitual thoughts, behaviors, and feelings- which are collectively your personality.

When you look for a therapist, don't mention borderline personality disorder whatsoever. Let them draw their own conclusion. I say this because most therapists turn borderlines away. Emphasize in the initial call that you are looking to work on a, b, and c issues and leave it at that.
>>
>>17658533
Holy fuck, i never even heard of this shit before but reading that picture resonated with me hard

I've always had problems with my mind which I always thought was just some perfectionist trait and anger issues

I always have to do things all out or I dont even try. I have also had super 'swingy' relationships with my family where I hate them one day and love them the next.

And I have also been struggling for the past few years because I don't actually have a self image yet... and I'm a legal adult... I always thought I was just immature or slightly retarded lol

I even took LSD 6 times to try and figure out my values and interests and shit, didnt really help

Eh fuck im not even sure why i wrote all this because it doesn't answer your question
>>
So what are you supposed to do if you think someone you know has this? A friend of mine sees a therapist but she's never been diagnosed with anything and I get the feeling she probably just tells the therapist everyone in her life is out to get her because of what I think might be BPD. Is there anyway I can tell her I think she needs to get some serious help before she ruins all her relationships with people? To be honest her and I aren't on the best terms now but if she got help I think I'd be more willing to reach out to her more often.
>>
>>17658753
Same, diagnosed as bipolar except I think I have Avoidant personality disorder, not borderline personality. I've definitely been hypomanic before (although only while on antidepressants) so I probably am bipolar, but I also fit all the criteria for avoidant personality disorder and I think that's the larger issue but I mentioned it to my psychiatrist and she said that they don't like to diagnose people with that because it's incurable. Seems pretty retarded to avoid the proper diagnosis and try and pretend like it doesn't exist. I've been on drugs before that completely killed my social anxiety, but I was still avoidant and ended up isolating and depressed. I need help with something they have no way to help me with so they just keep me coming in for endless treatment with regular therapy and drugs for the rest of my life. If my parents weren't paying for it I wouldn't go. As it is, it just serves to keep them happy.
>>
>>17659030
This is true, but it's not really their fault. They can't help it.
>>
>>17659384
BPD and BD are often comorbid conditions and the symptoms of the two overlap quite a bit. Part of BPD is impulsive actions and/or extreme moods like anger that can resemble mania and can trigger mania in someone with bipolar disorder. If you do crazy impulsive things to escape from your inner emotional turmoil you stop using the part of your brain that is supposed to be learning how to regulate that shit, the same part of your brain that's atrophied in bipolar disorder. They're very related conditions.
>>
>dated a girl with borderline, daddy issues, drug issues, a drinking problem, abandonment issues, and an eating disorder for a year and a half

Never doing that again.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.