[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /adv/. My 49 year old dad just suffered a mini-stoke, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1373852757407.png (753KB, 882x855px) Image search: [Google]
1373852757407.png
753KB, 882x855px
Hi /adv/. My 49 year old dad just suffered a mini-stoke, and it was a real wake up call for me. I'm worried that I might be stuck caring for him if he would ever suffer a real stoke. I'm the oldest of 2 kids, and my brother is in the military/out of state. I have suffered from depression my entire life, and now, at 24, I finally am getting it back, I have an apartment, have a college lined up, and had plans to move out of state or to a different city.

The thought of being trapped in a small town that I absolutely hate, forced to sacrifice my life and dreams to take care of and possibly life with my dad for the rest of his life terrifies me. I wouldn't be able to live my own life, I probably wouldn't be able to date or marry, or vacation or do anything. I love my dad, but the possibility that the future could turn into something that I would only describe as my personal hell is a very real possibility at this point.

Any advice on this?
>>
let him die
you should not be shackled by anyone ever
>>
>>17651014
Talk to him about working with him to move out of there. I hope he's open to the idea. Regardless, I helped my dad recover from his TIA and high blood pressure by convincing him to go vegan, feeding him 10 cloves of raw garlic in boiled cabbage per day, plus 20 hawthorn and 20 valerian capsules per day, plus about 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper per day. That got him over the hump and now he takes the hawthorn, garlic, and cayenne to taste only. I have also heard passionflower lowers blood pressure. These remedies worked, and they worked within two weeks. The brain fog cleared up and he went back to work. Seriously though, put him on a vegan diet if you do nothing else. With B12 supplements.
>>
>I helped my dad recover from his TIA and high blood pressure by convincing him to go vegan, feeding him 10 cloves of raw garlic in boiled cabbage per day, plus 20 hawthorn and 20 valerian capsules per day, plus about 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper per day.

please don't ever feed anyone this half that shits made up
>>
>>17651964
OP here, I am a vegan and I know my dad won't go for that. I am cooking more plant-based meals for him now and he seems to be liking them? But it's only been a few days.
>>
>>17651014
Glad to see you have your priorities right, your convenience ranking higher than your father's health.

There will always be nursing homes to dump him in and forget him.
>>
Where is your mother in this picture?
>>
>>17652654
That's not it. I just don't want to give up everything I have going for me in my life just to take care of my dad. Don't get me wrong, I love my dad. But growing up was hell, I was abused by both my mother and my step-mother, and my dad never seemed to care. He has a closer bond with the rest of my siblings and step siblings than he had with me growing up.

It is only now that the other two have gone on with their lives that he and I have gotten close. But when they are around, I'm quickly knocked back down on the totem poll, and he's quick to get angry with me or put me down.

I won't go into details about my life, but it's been hard to make it by myself with no support, but I've managed to, and I have plans to leave this city next year, start college, and start living my life. I'm not compromising that simply because I'm the last person to seemingly "get my life together"

I've always been the one making sacrifices, baby sitting, and making sure everything has been in order for everybody else to achieve what they want to do. I'm not going to give up the rest of my life doing the same thing and in so, giving up my chance of living the one and only life I have.

>>17652823
My dad is divorced and single. My brother lives in Wyoming, and my younger step-sister lives with her boyfriend.
>>
Can you and your brother split the cost of a home care nurse? or will insurance pay for it? Friend of mine had this same issue with her dad, but her mom took care of all the medical care.
>>
I had a discussion with a teacher of mine some days ago very related to this. He told me that he is trying to apply for a scholarship outside the country but as the only sibling in the city he has to take care of his parents who are still alive.

He told me that if his scholarship ever gets accepted he will take it without a doubt and that, heartless as it may sound, his siblings and parents will have to somehow deal with it since it will not be his problem anymore.

It sounds cruel, but he told me that he has to live his own life and that if he ever gives up his dreams just to take care of his parents he will regret it his whole life. Because it will not be his parent's fault, it will be his own for not taking the chance to live his own life.

that's why you have to live your own life, Anon, if you care about your father talk with him and try to at least make sure he has a plan for when you are not around, if he refuses to acknowledge it and there is no more options then i'm sorry for him because you have to do what you have to do.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.