[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm supposed to go to my first party ever tomorrow and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: par-tay.jpg (99KB, 676x673px) Image search: [Google]
par-tay.jpg
99KB, 676x673px
I'm supposed to go to my first party ever tomorrow and I have no idea how.

I'm shut-in with no friends and crippling social anxiety, but on my way to rid myself of this I joined clubs at university and talked to people and actually got an invitation to a party tomorrow.
My anxiety kicked in the moment I forced myself to say yes and ever since I've been a nervous wreck. I didn't sleep more than 3 hours a night in 3 days because I can't stop worrying about the whole thing, just to give you an idea how bad it is.

What do I do at a party?
Do I walk straight up to the person who invited me and try to talk?
Or do I just spent some time there approaching strangers?
Should I aim for people who stand alone?
Would it be worth it trying to learn how to dance until tomorrow night? (Never danced in my life, how can I get the basics down?)
How much am I supposed to drink?
When am I supposed to show up when it supposedly starts 9:30-10:00pm?
When is the right time to leave?
What do people talk about at parties?
Anything I should keep in mind when picking my outfit?

Any tips would be great and much appreciated. I think I can handle myself in conversations after I had a drink and some anti-anxiety pills, but I have no idea how to approach people. Please don't tell me to just be myself because then I'll end up like pic related.

Advice from regular party goers and shut-ins who changed their ways is especially welcome. Any small tip might help, no matter how ridiculous it might sound having to spell it out, I'm really on wit's end here.
>>
alcohol helps
>>
>>17646331
>I didn't sleep more than 3 hours in 3 days
Well this is definitely a problem. Even if you're the most social butterfly on the planet you're not going to feel good enough to socialize if you're that sleep deprived.

You should probably not go to this because you're going to be a zombie from having not slept very much. Just explain that to your friends later and that you'd like to go to the next party and they'll be cool with it. They're likely to have another party down the road.

It's completely natural to be nervous about meeting somebody for the first time. I say this so you don't interpret that part as crippling social anxiety. And it's totally natural for them to be nervous about meeting new people too so don't take any distance from them initially as a bad sign. They've just met you.

Uh don't really obsess over the topic you want to talk about. Just the fact that you're talking to them about anything will be a good first step no matter what it is. They'll be glad you're at least trying with them. As you get more comfortable talking to them in general you'll begin to feel more comfortable to talk about more deep meaningful things with them. Don't worry about freezing up and running out of things to say. Even for somebody with ridiculous social anxiety like me that isn't an issue when I actually get around to conversing with them. Really you'll find it easy to keep chaining the conversation into other thing and finding more talking points the more you go along in the conversation.

Can't really get much better at dancing in one night so i'd say probably no.
Drink enough to where you're more social and fun to be around, don't drink too much and get messed up. Not a good idea for you to be messed up like that especially around other drunk people.

Try to approach a group. The feeling of being accepted into the conversation by all of them will make you feel more confident in being accepted by people there.
>>
>>17646352
>You should probably not go to this
I feel the same way. But at the same time I fear if I'm not doing this now, it'll be the same thing next time it happens, IF I ever get invited to something ever again.

>Try to approach a group.
How do I do this? Do I just stand close and then chime in on a conversation they have? Or do I just walk in and introduce myself?

Thank you for the advice so far!
>>
>>17646331

>what do I do?

talk to the person who invited you first, they probably know more people and you can introduce yourself without going in raw and awkward.

>learn to dance?

no. don't even bother. nobody cares about dancing unless you live in latin america or some shit.

>how much am I supposed to drink?

I dunno anon, how much do you drink normally (if at all)?

>what time?

always hazard to show up late, 10.30 - 11.00 in my experience anyway.

>when's the right time to leave?

whenever the hell you want, you don't have to excuse yourself or make a deal out of it, just leave when you think you've had enough. irish goodbyes are the best goodbyes.

>personal tips

I'm a grown adult and I still retreat to the bathroom for extended periods when I think I need a break from the madness.

Don't force yourself to talk to plebs, you have the freedom to talk to anyone you want. Do you like games/animes/whatever? Chances are if it's a big enough party you'll find someone who's into that too, no matter how 'normie' it seems.

Don't get too wasted. Drunk people can't really tell if you're sober but you'll get yourself into trouble if you're all fucked up.
>>
>>17646738
Thanks.
I'll drink enough to get comfortable, but not so much that I'll be fully drunk.

Why is showing up late to a party hazard? I'm aiming for the time you suggested, but I'm curious.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.